Donald Jones - brutal listen

Estro

I don't understand the disdain for Schoop. He's my favorite guy on WGR. He sometimes irritates callers because he's quick to disagree and get into arguments, but thats whats sports talk radio is about. I think he's intelligent and he gives you the "dirty" truth that you often times won't hear. If you want a bunch of rosy colored updates and propoganda you can tune into the John Murphy show.

Here we go.

Personally, my thoughts on him are somewhere in the middle. He's WAY better than the vast majority of people on here give him credit for but his shtick does get kind of old. It's almost like he doesn't even like sports. And he thinks analytics are the end-all-be-all and the answer to every question and tends to try and oversimplify things using them. His problem is that he is smart but he's not quite as smart as he thinks he is.

Is this his first broadcasting gig? If so, he just needs time to find his voice. Everybody does. No guarantee they find it, though.

The problem I have with schopp is he will dismiss a callers point and then 5 minutes later make the same point like it was his own idea in order to dismiss the next callers point.

I spent many years in radio, three of those in a major east coast market. The main problems I have with Scope and the Bullfrog are:

A. Their voices are too similar. Bad idea to team up two people that sound alike. But thats not their fault, that's on the Program Director. Maybe they have a long history together? I don't sense a great deal of chemistry between them though.

B. Their disdain for the audience. Treating your listeners with contempt CAN work, but the trick is, you have to be funny, you have to be quick, witty. Those guys are not.

I enjoy the show much more when Scoop is out and the Bull guy hosts by himself.

I spent many years in radio, three of those in a major east coast market. The main problems I have with Scope and the Bullfrog are:

A. Their voices are too similar. Bad idea to team up two people that sound alike. But thats not their fault, that's on the Program Director.

Ever listen to the Sklar Brothers?

Schoop is easily the most entertaining personality on wgr. The fact that he has such a polarized reaction attests to that.

For the most part, he has intelligent ways to get his point across which is respectable whether you agree with him or not. And more often than not, if you look at things objectively (which is almost impossible for some), he's usually right.

Schoop and the Bulldog when I first started listening about 2 or 3 years ago grated on me. But I like them now. Bulldog particularly, Schoop does come off as a bit of a jerk but entertaining at the same time. His feature going through the drought game by game I really enjoyed actually.

I do agree with Jimmy10 above though. I worked on radio for a couple of years at the start of my career and I also think their voices are too similar. In the UK no way a producer would pair them up on that alone. The criteria for successful duos is voice before chemistry.

Is this his first broadcasting gig? If so, he just needs time to find his voice. Everybody does. No guarantee they find it, though.

A. Their voices are too similar. Bad idea to team up two people that sound alike. But thats not their fault, that's on the Program Director. Maybe they have a long history together? I don't sense a great deal of chemistry between them though.

B. Their disdain for the audience. Treating your listeners with contempt CAN work, but the trick is, you have to be funny, you have to be quick, witty. Those guys are not.

I enjoy the show much more when Scoop is out and the Bull guy hosts by himself.

I agree about when schopp is out. Bulldog carries on conversations instead of dismissing people or at least makes the point to address the question instead of just saying no.

Not to mention when schopp is there bulldog basically just does his "blarg humph" rant.

Edited by The Wiz

Coller was ok. Although only a few here have posted negative comments about him, so that's a pretty amazing feat.

Schopp and White are an acquired taste to say the least. I really used to hate White, I am still not a big fan, but he's come a long way. Schopp can really piss people off, but he also makes the callers justify their complaints by asking questions. Which usually the caller doesn't like as it feels like an attack, but really he's just looking for some reasoning. I think Bulldog is like many posted on TBD. He's a big Bills fan and has been beaten down to the point of either no hope or the all too famous cautious optimism. I think they're ok and listen while in the car, but that's about it.

I do like Murphy, even though he gets a ton of flack for being a company line guy. The truth is, he's always been that way, going back to his local news day. He's not a Sullivan asking questions just to fire a guy up type interviewer. But he's good and I love the fact they moved his show to the noon time slot.

And i'll give DJ a chance, it's too early to tell.

Edited by ricojes

Schoop is easily the most entertaining personality on wgr. The fact that he has such a polarized reaction attests to that.

For the most part, he has intelligent ways to get his point across which is respectable whether you agree with him or not. And more often than not, if you look at things objectively (which is almost impossible for some), he's usually right.

It would be nice if he knew, or cared to know, anything about football. But, if you like tennis, Schoop's your guy

There is no way to measure this except personal listening experience. But IMO, there is no city with 2 pro sports them with worse sports radio than Buffalo. A guy like Schoop would be covering his true love tennis on real sports radio. Buffalo is so minor league with their media.

And I've only heard Jones a few times but brutal seems a little strong. And as someone else said, would you want to be judged by your first week on the job? Or are people winning prizes now for claiming a media member a bust first now?

It would be nice if he knew, or cared to know, anything about football. But, if you like tennis, Schoop's your guy

Haha. Schoop can crush it talking about the virtues of Federer.

And this dude admits he doesn't really like football and he's their prime time guy! What a joke. He gets bothered by people asking him how's he doing? But he is obvious so much smarter than all of his callers as evidence by his glamorous job. Schoop is awful.

I don't like in the area, so when I listen to WGR it is by choice and not by default, but I can't sit through a minute of Schoop. Schoop and the Bulldog is simply a small-time show with no chance or becoming relevant on a larger scale. The hosts' schtick is old and dated, like something that might have felt relevant in a pre-internet era. They expound on stories with factually incorrect points and present their takes without supporting facts, just straight opinion. Pass.

Donald Jones, jury's out but the beginning, as with most people in most jobs, has been rough. I don't get the hate for Murphy, he is not a particularly good interviewer, but he's not incompetent, he's just a bland average.

I don't understand the disdain for Schoop. He's my favorite guy on WGR. He sometimes irritates callers because he's quick to disagree and get into arguments, but thats whats sports talk radio is about. I think he's intelligent and he gives you the "dirty" truth that you often times won't hear. If you want a bunch of rosy colored updates and propoganda you can tune into the John Murphy show.

He wakes up whining. The dude always has a gripe about something, which wouldn't be so bad if he didn't constantly have and revisit the same topics. There is a world of sports to be talked about. If the Bills and Sabres don't have anything interesting going on to be discussed talk about any number of subjects in the broader sports world. Meat drafts? Movie drafts? Three hours on the same topic. No thank you. Buffalo deserves a true sports station that is serious about sports. I like Bulldog when Bulldog is by himself or with a different co-host. Jeremy White is okay. Sal is cool too, but they could use more talent over there.

And Jones is okay, seeing as he's just starting in the industry, and especially when compared to others on WGR. At least he knows what he's talking about.

Edited by purple haze