Are we sleeping on this team?

Yes we are. Personally was very thrilled with the scrimage. The thing that encourages me is we moved the ball fairly easily against a much improved Giants D without Sammy. Go Tyrod!!! Made Jenkins look like the fool he is. Can't wait to see what Greg R has in store for the regular season. Lorenzo Alexander, Keyvon Semore and Walter? Powell have been very pleasant surprises. If any coach is equipped to handle losses on the defense that have happened to us its Rex. He's finally running his scheme (or so we've been told) and I believe he'll run a top 10 d. (anyone wanna take a friendly wager on that?) I know its preseason but something feels different this year. I'm oddly encouraged and I cant wait to kick some Raven a** week one.

P.S its long overdue to see some awesome qb play in WNY...long live Tyrod

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you guys read Bucky's column? It doesn't matter what happens on the field. This team has character issues. Karlos Williams, a fifth round pick gets cut for being dumb and lazy. Didn't everybody know he was a gamble when drafted? Marcell Dareus is immature and troubled rehab and therapy is the right thing. I think that agreeing to do it demonstrates some character, most would have declined. Manny Lawson may or may not have done something.

So it doesn't matter whether we are asleep on this team. Two possibly three out of 90 players have issues. This is a dumpster fire.

Is Dareus coming back from rehab this year? Serious question (and I'm too lazy to review the whole Dareus thread for that info).

the word is that it won't extend beyond his suspension. There is also a rumor that by voluntarily going to rehab, he may get his suspension reduced.

I thought his column was pretty lame. Yes what he stated is true, but every team in all sports does the same. Backups are expendable, you make examples out of them, but not starters. Plus he also conveniently forgot to mention that the Bill's have decent depth at RB. If everyone stayed healthy at RB until week #5 (which is a very big if) who should you cut to bring Karlos back? It was kind of similar to the Fred Jackson situation last season, he may only be the #4 guy.

Didn't you guys read Bucky's column? It doesn't matter what happens on the field. This team has character issues. Karlos Williams, a fifth round pick gets cut for being dumb and lazy. Didn't everybody know he was a gamble when drafted? Marcell Dareus is immature and troubled rehab and therapy is the right thing. I think that agreeing to do it demonstrates some character, most would have declined. Manny Lawson may or may not have done something.

So it doesn't matter whether we are asleep on this team. Two possibly three out of 90 players have issues. This is a dumpster fire.

This team will be fun to watch as long as TT is on the field, and that makes me happy. Even without MD (for awhile) and the draft picks, Rex will still field a competent D. Unleash TT, pray that he stays healthy, and see what happens.

The proof is in the puddin Estelle. Until the games are real and until the team and coaches show that they are able to sustain success then you can color me doubtful. I really like much of what I saw yesterday, but, still skeptical.

That phrase. I never understood it. When it's a pudding, the ingredients that make it a pudding is already mixed in. How can we find the proof?

No, but it's still a QB-driven league, and thanks to Rex, it looks like the Bills finally have a QB that you can win with.

I know it's against every instinct to give any praise for Whaley and I understand where that kind of trauma stems from. But I have to ask, Rex might have gotten TT in the door but doesn't the front office get any love for locking him up on a team friendly deal for the next few years? Or will he always be exclusively a Rex guy in your eyes?

Of course I am. And I'll continue to until they actually show us results. We've lost some talented players on paper, and picked up some question marks. We brought in the DC of the worst defense in the NFL. And we continue to have off the field distractions.

That being said, we're in the second year of our systems, Tyrod is fully entrenched as starter, some of our mid-late round rookies look promising, so who knows, maybe this will be the year?

Not expecting it though.

Edited by Dorkington

I know it's against every instinct to give any praise for Whaley and I understand where that kind of trauma stems from. But I have to ask, Rex might have gotten TT in the door but doesn't the front office get any love for locking him up on a team friendly deal for the next few years? Or will he always be exclusively a Rex guy in your eyes?

It's crystal clear who Whaley's guy was. Locking TT up is great, but it doesn't excuse the epic mishandling of the QB position in 2013-2014. I give DW no credit for TT at all. I will gladly give him credit for Hughes, Darby, and Corey Graham. If Sammy, Shady, and Clay prove to be worth the draft picks & $ spent, I will give him credit for them too.

If Tyrod takes steps forward, they stay relatively healthy, and the D improves, then they can surprise even our most optimistic fan.

Without even one of those ingredients, I don't think they surprise even our most pessimistic fans.

Edited by Ohiostyle

Also, I understand it's against every instinct to give praise to Rex and I understand where that kind of trauma stems from... but I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Playing well in preseason doesn't usually equate to winning regular season games. So I'll start believing in this year's team if they can win at least two out of the first four and then three out of the next five.

Looking back at last year's opener and how well they played ...only to fall hard the very next game because it looked like the defense wasn't even close to being prepared to face the Patriots.

So many holes at various positions on this year's team in my view and backups playing well in preseason against vanilla schemes and backups isn't a cause to up my optimism.

I think I read three sentences of that article before I looked up and saw it was an article written by Bucky Gleason and immediately stopped reading it.

It's crystal clear who Whaley's guy was. Locking TT up is great, but it doesn't excuse the epic mishandling of the QB position in 2013-2014. I give DW no credit for TT at all. I will gladly give him credit for Hughes, Darby, and Corey Graham. If Sammy, Shady, and Clay prove to be worth the draft picks & $ spent, I will give him credit for them too.

Also, I understand it's against every instinct to give praise to Rex and I understand where that kind of trauma stems from... but I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Hey, I hear you. I've been a fan of your posts for a long time so it's more my own curiosity than anything. :beer:

I don't have a problem praising Rex, or criticizing him. Personally I like a coach with a loud mouth because it's more entertaining, but I realize that's not everyone's ideal. Despite being a bigger fan of Whaley than you, I also don't think he's been perfect -- just light years better than the last four swings by Ralph and I do believe he's stocked the roster with talent after inheriting one that had been woefully mismanaged for almost a decade.

Credit where credit is due, I'll give Rex credit for being the primary TT supporter early last year. There's also no question that, everything else being equal, Doug would have preferred EJ becoming the man from just a resume perspective. But that, to me, makes it more impressive that DW locked TT up now rather than wait. There was no reason (other than Gilmore's contract) to get TT locked up early from Doug's perspective if he truly cared most about being right on EJ. So acting now shows at the very least that he's not inflexible and willing to change his opinion as the information improves.

Even if TT didn't start out Whaley's guy, the extension makes him Whaley's guy. If TT implodes, the fallout will be harshest on Whaley -- way more than it would be on Rex.

Hey, I hear you. I've been a fan of your posts for a long time so it's more my own curiosity than anything. :beer:

I don't have a problem praising Rex, or criticizing him. Personally I like a coach with a loud mouth because it's more entertaining, but I realize that's not everyone's ideal. Despite being a bigger fan of Whaley than you, I also don't think he's been perfect -- just light years better than the last four swings by Ralph and I do believe he's stocked the roster with talent after inheriting one that had been woefully mismanaged for almost a decade.

Credit where credit is due, I'll give Rex credit for being the primary TT supporter early last year. There's also no question that, everything else being equal, Doug would have preferred EJ becoming the man from just a resume perspective. But that, to me, makes it more impressive that DW locked TT up now rather than wait. There was no reason (other than Gilmore's contract) to get TT locked up early from Doug's perspective if he truly cared most about being right on EJ. So acting now shows at the very least that he's not inflexible and willing to change his opinion as the information improves.

Even if TT didn't start out Whaley's guy, the extension makes him Whaley's guy. If TT implodes, the fallout will be harshest on Whaley -- way more than it would be on Rex.

I'm not sold that DW was the main proponent for extending TT (Pegs, w/ Rex & Box Office Russ) but he did get it done.

Even though it looked that way, my quoting and changing of your post wasn't really directed at you, it was for all the Rex haters out there. Unlike the Bills FO, he has actually accomplished something positive in this league & I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for last year right now.