Are we sleeping on this team?

As many of you know I can be one of the teams biggest critics/realists. I realize its only two weeks into the preseason games but what I realized Saturday was we have as much if not more speed/talent on this team as anyone in the NFL.

I think it's clear we have a true # 1 QB for the first time since signing Drew Bledsoe. We have a top 5 running back with great depth behind him. A star # 1 receiver with a bunch of fast, young, hungry guys behind him nearly all of whom have game breaking speed. A top 10 tight end with a solid # 2 (Gragg). A formidable offensive line with some young depth.

Rex seemed to be telling the truth with the problem last year being the players not learning the D fast enough/buying into the philosophy. It is pretty clear just by the camp reports and watching them perform that has changed. I think Ed Reed and possibly Rob Ryan have alot to do with that. Teams are not going to be able to throw the ball on us with this secondary and the depth we have. It appears we will be stout against the run as shown so far. The only ? mark i see on D is will we be able to generate a pass rush without having to blitz too often?

And when teams begin losing players with injuries we will be getting two of our stars back (Dareus, Shaq). In the meantime this will allow their backups and younger players to develop. The same could be said with Watkins not playing much allowing more reps for the other receivers. Injuries could be a blessing in disguise in this case. I think the injuries have caused us to sign some solid veteran depth players we might not have otherwise signed. With all of the injuries the only player that we lost for the year who will be missed is Ragland.

I just can't envision this team getting too far down in many games this year. If we do we have the game breakers on offense to get right back into it, starting with the QB.

Edited by Estelle Getty

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope so. The rollercoaster started early this year. I am like a schizophrenic when it comes to this team. I was mailing in for 6-10 yesterday before the game... now we look to me like a 10 win team with a realistic play-off shot for many of the reasons you set out above.

Just make the damn play-offs!! Please?

The proof is in the puddin Estelle. Until the games are real and until the team and coaches show that they are able to sustain success then you can color me doubtful. I really like much of what I saw yesterday, but, still skeptical.

Funny...when a team sucks in preseason...we say, "no worries, they were vanilla...its just preseason"

When they are good, we tend to say "you know what, they look really good" ...preseason be damned!!

That being said, i am a huge contrarian better when it comes to the NFL...and so many people think this team is gunna suck, i am inclined to believe it will be a Super Bowl year :nana::lol:

Funny...when a team sucks in preseason...we say, "no worries, they were vanilla...its just preseason"

When they are good, we tend to say "you know what, they look really good" ...preseason be damned!!

That being said, i am a huge contrarian better when it comes to the NFL...and so many people think this team is gunna suck, i am inclined to believe it will be a Super Bowl year :nana::lol:

"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." - Jerry, to George, in "The Opposite"

It wouldn't shock me to see this team better than last year.

Tyrod is continuing to develop his game and the offensive line is another year together, which are two of the biggest keys for any offense.

The defense was so completely lost last year that they can improve game day operations and be significantly better than they were last season, even with less star talent. Will they be dominant? Probably not, but if Tyrod progresses we won't need them to be.

They have better depth this year too. Guys like Zach Brown, Alexander, Hawthorne, Blanton, veterans who can step in and know what they're supposed to do instead of looking lost when someone goes down in front of them.

I would categorize myself as hopeful rather than optimistic about the teams chances this year. It's tough to be optimistic with everything that's gone on.

As many of you know I can be one of the teams biggest critics/realists. I realize its only two weeks into the preseason games but what I realized Saturday was we have as much if not more speed/talent on this team as anyone in the NFL.

I think it's clear we have a true # 1 QB for the first time since signing Drew Bledsoe. We have a top 5 running back with great depth behind him. A star # 1 receiver with a bunch of fast, young, hungry guys behind him nearly all of whom have game breaking speed. A top 10 tight end with a solid # 2 (Gragg). A formidable offensive line with some young depth.

Rex seemed to be telling the truth with the problem last year being the players not learning the D fast enough/buying into the philosophy. It is pretty clear just by the camp reports and watching them perform that has changed. I think Ed Reed and possibly Rob Ryan have alot to do with that. Teams are not going to be able to throw the ball on us with this secondary and the depth we have. It appears we will be stout against the run as shown so far. The only ? mark i see on D is will we be able to generate a pass rush without having to blitz too often?

And when teams begin losing players with injuries we will be getting two of our stars back (Dareus, Shaq). In the meantime this will allow their backups and younger players to develop. The same could be said with Watkins not playing much allowing more reps for the other receivers. Injuries could be a blessing in disguise in this case. I think the injuries have caused us to sign some solid veteran depth players we might not have otherwise signed. With all of the injuries the only player that we lost for the year who will be missed is Ragland.

I just can't envision this team getting too far down in many games this year. If we do we have the game breakers on offense to get right back into it, starting with the QB.

OK, but I have not yet put Shaq in the star category, as he has yet to see the field. MD IS a star...shaq...tbd.

We look like a better coached team this year over last. We also know the Ravens are well coached, that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose week 1 and then go on a winning streak from there.

they still had a top 10 defense last year despite all the losing. the offense i'm not sure can do much of anything. lot of question marks.