Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not ragging on him by saying what he is, a below average TE. He was never a good player but had a great opportunity with us. People often mistake opportunity for ability. The Bills used to start Donald Jones at WR too. He was terrible. Just because those guys started doesn't mean they were starting caliber.

Agreed, I was never saying that he wouldn't have been an okay number 2. It was the people predicting him to be a Pro Bowler (you know, because New England) that drove me nuts.

But some of us didn't say that about Chandler and think Hogan will be good there. The fact that Chandler wasn't has nothing to do with whether Hogan will be. Edited by GunnerBill

Welker actually has 6 :)

lol he got u on that...look how he spelled it.. I get that Hogan is a different type of receiver than Welker that's true but I think he does really well in NE.He is more reliable than some on this board give him credit for and he stays healthy.The reason he was a bubble guy for so long was because he was learning the trade.He after being blessed by saint Doug and the like is now a bona-fide WR and NE will reap the rewards of ours and miami's coaching and training...sucks

But some of us didn't say that about Chandler and think Hogan will be good there. The fact that Chandler wasn't has nothing to do with whether Hogan will be.

Agreed, this was in response specifically to Chandler.

The people that assume everyone gets magically better because of a Pats uniform is a source of frustration though. They haven't drafted or done particularly well in FA. They have found some gems like Dion Lewis but for the most part they are extremely well coached. They don't win because of their overwhelming talent; they win because they execute so well.

Fwiw, I think that Hogan can be productive there. You and I have different views on him. I think that he's just a guy in the NFL (I feel the same way about Woods). I wouldn't be surprised though if he had 60-70 catches and 6 or 7 TDs (something like that).

The people that assume everyone gets magically better because of a Pats uniform is a source of frustration though. They haven't drafted or done particularly well in FA. They have found some gems like Dion Lewis but for the most part they are extremely well coached. They don't win because of their overwhelming talent; they win because they execute so well.

Fwiw, I think that Hogan can be productive there. You and I have different views on him. I think that he's just a guy in the NFL (I feel the same way about Woods). I wouldn't be surprised though if he had 60-70 catches and 6 or 7 TDs (something like that).

I just don't see him playing all that much with the two TEs as well as Edelman and Amendola. Not to mention Dobson.

Hogan and Weker both have five letters in their name, and at least one of them hires but hates midgets. What else you got?

LOL why the midget hate?

midget strippers rule! ive always wanted to bang a midget. i bet the poon is super tight

Rosa-Acosta-Midget-Stripper-2012-10-22_1

Edited by Marty McFly

He needs to make a jump that sounds tiny but is huge. He has the size/speed to do it but I'm not sure why he hasn't....

One of the easiest offense plays in the NFL is catching a 7 yard pass on 3rd and 9, and getting tackled a yard shy of the sticks. I think half this board could reliably do that.

It's those extra couple of feet- whether running into and beating tight coverage at the sticks, or breaking a tackle on the underneath catch.... It's those ectra couple feet that separate the depth players from the weapons. Hogan comes up on the wrong side of it too often, despite being a fast guy, that's good sized. I don't know if it's awareness or something else.

Maybe coaching and qb play helps it but until I see him take that step... That he has not yet makes me wonder if he will

Let's say Hogan is JAG for the sake of argument and gets open on 25% of his routs (I made this up just hypothetical)with an average JAG qb or a qb that throws below league average like ours and he only catches x amount of balls.Now you put JAG Hogan on a team where his qb sees him open on almost all 25% of his open routs and throws far over the league average a Boom JAG becomes not freaking Wess Welker but more than JAG.Now he is a reliable guy that gets a lot of opportunities.

Edited by bacarri and coke

They tendered him cheap and chose not to match... Another similarity that hasn't come up

No. What happened was the Patriots negotiated with him a RFA offer and put a poison pill into it, saying that if he played three games or more in the state of Florida that season he was due a huge pay increase. The Dolphins knew they were going to lose him for nothing, and at the time few teams would do this but the NFL wouldn't stop it, so they decided to trade him to the Pats for a second and seventh round pick rather than get nothing by not matching the offer.

No. What happened was the Patriots negotiated with him a RFA offer and put a poison pill into it, saying that if he played three games or more in the state of Florida that season he was due a huge pay increase. The Dolphins knew they were going to lose him for nothing, and at the time few teams would do this but the NFL wouldn't stop it, so they decided to trade him to the Pats for a second and seventh round pick rather than get nothing by not matching the offer.

Yea a second round tender isn't skimping on a guy

wow good info.If u knew that without looking it up I bow to your knowledge of the pig skin...hell even if u looked it up its impressive Edited by bacarri and coke

Will Wolford IIRC.

Yep. Wolford was a starter in the first three Super Bowls. Left tackle in two of them. The Colts signed him to an offer sheet that made him the highest paid lineman in the league at the time, which he couldn't turn down. But they included escalators in the contract that he had to be the highest paid player on the offense. The Colts had no other big ticket items at the time with higher contracts than LTs. The Bills had Kelly and Thurman and Andre. So they couldn't match it. And the league didn't stop it.