Is Tyrod the most Athletic QB ever?

I rolled that out because I rememeber someone on a football show use those exact words for Vick.

But you know.....its all debatable. We are debating whether Tyrod Taylor has the physical attributes and ability of a number 1 overall pick quarterback.

When I think of how similar they actually are (football wise) it makes me smile a little

If you're saying Tyrod is similar to Vick football wise, you're saying, in no uncertain terms, that Taylor sucks.

What's the point? He isnt using it.

Maybe you should try showing him some affection. Hang in there. He'll come around.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody will ever top Vick.

Never say ever...wait, that's wrong. But so is nobody will ever top Vick. There's some kid in high school now we've never heard of who will make Vick look like a statue of Bledsoe. Maybe a stud athlete who can actually be a great QB.

If you're saying Tyrod is similar to Vick football wise, you're saying, in no uncertain terms, that Taylor sucks.

Maybe you should try showing him some affection. Hang in there. He'll come around.

lol, I'll take your expert advice then.

Sidebar, Vick was good. I guess you have been watching so much Bills football for the last 20 years that you don't know what a good QB looks like. Vick was by far the most dynamic athlete of the early 2000s outside of LT.

Vick was crazy athletic. I watched almost every Falcon game his first few years. He was at least a step maybe two faster than anyone else on the field. He could turn the edge and get up field when 99% of the league would of run out or been tackled.

The run against Minnie in OT to win the game was sick.

lol, I'll take your expert advice then.

Sidebar, Vick was good. I guess you have been watching so much Bills football for the last 20 years that you don't know what a good QB looks like. Vick was by far the most dynamic athlete of the early 2000s outside of LT.

o

I agree that Vick is the most athletic QB ever. But to say he was good is inaccurate, in my opinion. I think he was horrible. Always.

I always hear that word - "athletic" - but I've never really understood it. "Athletic" in normal terms means something like "best combination of speed/quickness/strength." Kind of like how a decathlon champ is dubbed the "world's greatest athlete." And that's a pretty good analogy since decathletes also need to excel in throwing competitions. So if "athletic" means anything even remotely similar in football terms, Tyrod, Vick, and pretty much everyone else is not in the same league as Cam Newton or even Kaepernick.

I always hear that word - "athletic" - but I've never really understood it. "Athletic" in normal terms means something like "best combination of speed/quickness/strength." Kind of like how a decathlon champ is dubbed the "world's greatest athlete." And that's a pretty good analogy since decathletes also need to excel in throwing competitions. So if "athletic" means anything even remotely similar in football terms, Tyrod, Vick, and pretty much everyone else is not in the same league as Cam Newton or even Kaepernick.

Interesting take...

If you break it down

Speed: 1-Vick 2-TT 3-kaep 4- cam

Quickness: harder to measure, I believe 1-tt, 2- Vick 3- kaep 4- cam

Strength: 1-cam, 2-kaep 3-TT 4- Vick

Interesting take...

If you break it down

Agreed. Although I think Elway is in there somewhere too - people forget how great an athlete he was. Certainly as strong as anyone, with pretty impressive flat out speed (although not as elusive obviously as Vick). Steve Grogan was a pretty impressive running QB too in his early years.

Interesting take...

If you break it down

u

I would include agility, too, which I think Vick runs away with.

Interesting take...

If you break it down

They all basically ran 4.5 at the combine. I would say the 6'5" guys who did that is more impressive than the 6'1" guy.

As for the fastest ever 40 yard dashes for Qbs, it was Vick, RG3, & Reggie McNeal who all ran in the 4.3 range. https://www.freelapusa.com/fastest-40-yard-dash/

So while Taylor is a great athlete, he's not close to being the most athletic ever. And it takes a lot more than athletic ability to be a great qb.

:lol:

Flutie not yet mentioned?

He should be, because he's up there with Tarkenton and Staubach when it comes to "athletic quarterback" being defined as "most elusive/best scrambler." And if you weight "size/overall strength and arm strength" more highly, I guess the guys like Bobby Douglass (kind of a fullback with great arm strength and awful accuracy) are suddenly in the mix. Or if you include "ability to throw accurately while avoiding pursuit", then Favre and Russell Wilson enter the picture.

I guess that's my issue with the question posed in this thread: once you define "athletic" to mean "best at the types of things Tyrod Taylor does best," it is self evident that Tyrod Taylor wins. In other words, not a particularly enlightening discussion. But hey, when has that ever stopped us from continuing the discussion?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Never say ever...wait, that's wrong. But so is nobody will ever top Vick. There's some kid in high school now we've never heard of who will make Vick look like a statue of Bledsoe. Maybe a stud athlete who can actually be a great QB.

Cam Newton isn't in HS. :D

I think the difference will be the size of the guy. Vick was fast, but smallish, like TT. I was reading how track has changed because of taller sprinters and new training. Usain Bolt pushed the boundaries for Olympic sprinters with his height. I think we'll end up seeing someone big like Newton with sub-4.3 speed. The problem with that type of player is that they ultimately get beat up doing a secondary function (running). The passing part of their game is so rare that NFL coaches will always lead them away from running. The limited training for speed and perpetual aging will cause the fastest guys to slow down.

He should be, because he's up there with Tarkenton and Staubach when it comes to "athletic quarterback" being defined as "most elusive/best scrambler." And if you weight "size/overall strength and arm strength" more highly, I guess the guys like Bobby Douglass (kind of a fullback with great arm strength and awful accuracy) are suddenly in the mix. Or if you include "ability to throw accurately while avoiding pursuit", then Favre and Russell Wilson enter the picture.

I guess that's my issue with the question posed in this thread: once you define "athletic" to mean "best at the types of things Tyrod Taylor does best," it is self evident that Tyrod Taylor wins. In other words, not a particularly enlightening discussion. But hey, when has that ever stopped us from continuing the discussion?

Yea- if you want to shoehorn it far enough tyrod could float to the top of the list. It's still early in his process though.

I agree with the sentiment that Vicks the type that did things NO ONE does and did them with DCs game planning just to stop those things. Not the most complete passer but in about any running metric he's NFL elite, not just qb elite.

I'll also throw out the hot take that I think that some people are at times mixing up being unconventional and hard to predict with being more athletic (flutie being mentioned in the same breathe as some of these for instance in recent posts)