Bills reach stadium naming rights agreement with New Era

YoloinOhio

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top 8 naming rights in the NFL span from 450 million down to 200 million. Not sure how 35 million makes it into the top 10.

Was going by an outdated page but they are behind Seattle which looks like they are 12th or 13th at 5.1m per year. Those numbers are over the length of the contract. Miami is 250m but over 18 years.

This was an actual caller to Murph's show on WGR today around lunchtime:

Caller: "Hey Murph, I don't really have a problem with New Era naming the stadium, but I was kind of wondering why they called it Field instead of Stadium."

Murph: "What do you mean?"

Caller: "Well, I mean, it's a stadium so I think they should have called it New Era Stadium."

Murph: "What about Lambeau Field, or Soldier Field?"

Caller: "Yeah, well I think they should have called it Stadium."

Murph: "Ok, thanks for the call..."

:doh:

Caller: "Hey Murph, I don't really have a problem with New Era naming the stadium, but I was kind of wondering why they called it Field instead of Stadium."

Caller: "Well, I mean, it's a stadium so I think they should have called it New Era Stadium."

no kidding. The calls to that show are brutal. I thought there would be fewer drunks at noon.

You can't be shocked by this. :lol:

no kidding. The calls to that show are brutal. I thought there would be fewer drunks at noon.

You can't be shocked by this. :lol:

Then another guy called in and said his New Era cap was made in China so he doesn't like the deal.

Then another guy called in and said his New Era cap was made in China so he doesn't like the deal.

Back to back calls actually. Then Murph, and whoever else was in the studio, started checking their hats for tags. Couldn't find anything though. Amazing radio

Has there ever been anything worse (or comically better) than the dumb people that call into shows? I love listening to stupid arguments with no support. I think that is a large part of my love for this site. In addition to the great Bills talk on here we get some of the craziest opinions imaginable, as an example when BB suggested Skelton for Mario. I am not picking on BB because I think that he consistently provides a unique outlook and perspective on the team; he's a good poster.

Has there ever been anything worse (or comically better) than the dumb people that call into shows? I love listening to stupid arguments with no support. I think that is a large part of my love for this site. In addition to the great Bills talk on here we get some of the craziest opinions imaginable, as an example when BB suggested Skelton for Mario. I am not picking on BB because I think that he consistently provides a unique outlook and perspective on the team; he's a good poster.

This i why i never call.

I will be exposed for the idjit i truly am.

Was it Jeff Gordon?

Me too :cry::cry:

I am terrified to call in and be ripped apart for some stupid idea that I have. I like keeping my stupid ideas amongst friends on here.

I know. lets keep our foolish thought in house.

Thank Kirby for the chuckle !

Back to back calls actually. Then Murph, and whoever else was in the studio, started checking their hats for tags. Couldn't find anything though. Amazing radio

It was something. Murph, "I've got three New Era caps in here; I've got a Pittsburgh Pirates visor, a Bills visor, and another one...but I can't tell where they're made...anyway..."

The cap on the left with BILLS reminds me of a frowny face or Beeker from the Muppets. Sad that it hasn't seen a playoff game in 16 years?

Like we have not heard that a hundred times in news articles. They should just rename team MissedPlayoffs##Years - imagine the shared revenue from new name every year! Might even pay for some of the Wine and Cheese being pushed for by the new stadium pushers who have no solution for who is going to pay for PSLs.

Because I said so.

Which means the opposite will be true.

Like we have not heard that a hundred times in news articles. They should just rename team MissedPlayoffs##Years - imagine the shared revenue from new name every year! Might even pay for some of the Wine and Cheese being pushed for by the new stadium pushers who have no solution for who is going to pay for PSLs.

Which means the opposite will be true.

That will work for me. :thumbsup:

Chris Koch: "This is a very proud moment for us" (9:46)

New Era Cap President and CEO Chris Koch joined The John Murphy Show following the official announcement of New Era Field. Koch discussed his emotional reaction, the history of New Era Cap, and the partnership with the Buffalo Bills and the NFL.

New Era Field Press Conference

temp3kjflkjfs--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?wi

Photos from the New Era Field announcement.

More importantly, what will Chris Berman call it? The Big Lid?

I've been doing this all day in the back of my head.

Thusfar I've got:

1. The NEF...ugh, pedestrian.

2. The Cap (Already posted)

3. A crazed thought involving the Mad Hatter, from Alice in Wonderland(or Batman, if you're into that kind of thing). Yes, and ironic == Crazed/Mad. But, this thought won't leave me alone. Seeing Bills fans decked out as Mad Hatters, in Bills colors, doing our usual shenanigans, has been making me giggle all day. Something about the Mad Hatter/drinking/tea party == the image of a bunch of Solo cups on tables...before they get smashed via RKO(body slammed)...it's all sorta swirling around.

Leading to:

4. (The)Mad Hatten(I know, I know too NYC). The Mad Hat. The Madcap. Or just The Mad Hatter(s).

Mad Hatters running around leads to a whole new plane of creative existence for the tailgate/game. Look: I know this is silly.

5. The Crown

6. The Helm(et)

7. The Taylor Hood

8. The B-Lo Chapeau

9. The Naughty Cover, The Naughty Hat

I sorta stopped after 9....cause I have a job.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Couldve done New Era at Ralph Wilson Stadium or short at the Ralph. Seriously though the lack of forethought is what the NFL is all about, so until hockey changes really badly with ad stoppages, I watch that and meh ill plug my nose buy old school hats, still call it the ralph and like our politicians ignore most of the crap coming outta the PR folks.

Edited by North Buffalo

It's about time. Ralph Wilson Jr., despite the man love of the folks that run this website, was, without question, the worst owner in the history of the NFL. He ran a mostly disfunctional organization for decade after decade. The ONLY owner in the history of the NFL to lose the #1 draft choice in the draft to the Canadian Football league. An organization so dysfunctional that Jim Kelly fled to the USFL. READ HIS BOOK. A man so greedy that he gives up home field advantage by selling two games to Toronto, because the one billion dollar profit he made in franchise appreciation just wasn't enough. A meddling owner who substituted the judgement of his daughter for that of great coach Chuck Knox. Too cheap too resign Amad Radhad and Joe Cribbs. The incompetence and outright greed of this loser go on and on. Hey guys, rather than censor this post, how about actually answering, point by point, the facts presented here. Start with being the only owner in NFL history to lose a #1 pick to the CFL. And then go from there. Good luck. Probably easier to censor. Right?

Why censor you when we can just prove you wrong instead?

I certainly would be happier to do the latter, and now I shall. I'm an fully convinced that fans of the:

1. Rams(moved, and wait until LA fans get a load of this owner: made all his money...by marriage. :bag: He's almost as bad as their old owner Georgia Frontier...yeah, the crazy lady. Ralph saw her come, intentionally run her team into the ground in LA, so she could move it to her home town in St. Louis, and saw her go. You're done, right there. Did Ralph ever even approach doing something like that? No, he routinely cast aside offers to move. So, by definition, he cannot be the worst owner in NFL history.

Game, set, match.

But, by all means, lets keep going. You're going to wish you were censored by the time I am done with you.

2. Browns(moved once, then brought back as a "new" team, and has sucked and been ignored, then sold, and then ignored by its owners, making so many moves that defy...everything. Now their owner is a crook, who drafted Johnny Manziel based on the advice of a bum. Yeah, I know: RG3, right? I've heard of him.)

3. Lions. What the F else is there to say? 0-16. I don't recall Ralph ever fielding a completely defeated team. And, I recall him using the 1985s #1 overall, after a 2-14 season, to draft HOFer, Bruce Smith...and not draft: Not even closer, Matthew Stafford.

4. Redskins(Daniel. Snyder. This guy is seriously in the running for worst owner of all time, but, he has yet to intentionally run his team into the ground. No, he does it by incompetence.)

5. Chargers(moving, staying, who the F knows, and the owner is a turd = fired the coach after a 14-2 season because: his ego told him to. The man is a buffoon.)

6. Oakland(for now) Raiders(Al Davis...um, Duh! AL Davis all by himself proves you wrong, and, Al Davis had to borrow $ from Ralph to keep his team from bankruptcy. So, if you're borrowing $ off the supposed worst owner in NFL history, because you ran your team into the ground, what does that make you? :wacko: And here's the best part: the son is WORSE! The ONLY reason he isn't higher up on the list is because he had his act together once, back in 1982.)

7. Dolphins("Locking up" Tannehill, who STILL can only read half the field/tunnelvisions his first option. That alone creates cap hell for no reason. And that owner brought IN the GM who traded up to get Mark Sanchez for the Jets. :wacko: Bills: 74 points in 2 games against the Fish last year. Dude...given Miami vs Buffalo just on basic economic factors and demographics? The Dolphins' last 2 owners have run dumpster fires in comparison to Ralph Wilson.)

8. Speaking of the Jets...that owner is only happy when he gets his name, or his team's name, in the paper. Winning only has utility if it does that. That team has been run more like a PR firm, and less like a football team, every since ole' Woody took over. Woody misses Rex, big time. Rex was the only interesting thing about the Jets.

9. Cowboys(This one is going to take longer, but, Jerry Jones has probably already run his team into the ground, it's just that his accountants have been hiding it. It's 50/50 on if the Cowboys bleed out cash and die.

10. Bengals(We'll see, their owner has a lot of good yet to go before he makes up for all the bad he presided over. The Bengals haven't been anywhere near a SB. Ralph went to 4.)

Dishonorable mention: Colts Jim Irsay,

would argue that their owners are much worse than Ralph Wilson Jr.

I could go on, but that requires going back further into the entire history of the NFL over the 50+ years Ralph was an owner. Example: Google Hugh Culverhouse and Bo Jackson. :rolleyes: Yet another example that makes you insta-wrong: Bo refuse to play for that team. How many teams have had multiple, bad owners in that time frame? That also proves you wrong. Players do stupid things. So do coaches, so do owners. But, Ralph never, ever did something that he thought was going to hurt his team. Granted, he might have been wrong. But he always acted with integrity. You simply cannot say that about the other owners listed above.

There. I told you would be wrong, and, I didn't even include dudes like Bid Bidwell, Victor Kiam, or Ken Behring.

You have a terminally low level of understanding. Are you really too stupid to understand that there was no poison pill? The guy that bought this franchise was the guy (Pegula) who offered the most. By far. Just as Ralph designed. There was no other offer that came close to what Pegula paid. And the estate instructions Ralph left made it CLEAR that the team goes to highest bidder. How stupid are you that u that you cannot cannot understand that? Too dumb of course to address any of the greedy, dysfunctional moves your beloved owner made. Typical Buffalo loser.

Clearly, you have no idea how or why this deal went down. That's probably because you know nothing about finance, high or low.

Proving it: Why would Jerry Jones support Bon Jovi's bid? No, that's wrong. No, that's wrong.(I'm correcting your wrong responses before you even post them).

The correct answer is: Jerry Jones NEEDED the Bills to sell for $1 Billion+, or he was personally screwed. Period. That is the reason.

Why? Because Jerry Jones owes a LOT of $, and his revenue doesn't match his expectations. The banks he owes would see the Bills selling for say, $700 mil, as a reason to lower the valuation of the Cowboys. If they did that, the banks could have looked at Jerry's books, claimed he had too much debt compared to equity(this is how it works, accept it, or face a very long post, and then have to accept it anyway), and busted Jones right out of business. Or, at the very least decided to raise his interest rates as a hedge against his possible foreclosure, or, force him to buy even more insurance on his loans. Banks do that schit all the time.

Thus, Jones never cared who bought the Bills, as long as they paid at least $1 bil for them. At the time, Jones thought that Bon Jovi's group that could pay the price needed to justify his own franchise's valuation. And, it wasn't just Jones: many other owners are dangerously close to being over-leveraged. Enter Donald Trump: who understands Jones' problem and offers to pay what is needed(probably as a way to get back into the NFL's good graces, because of the USFL). Instantly, Jones stopped talking up Bon Jovi.

Finally, enter Terry Pegula: he solves everybody's problem and then some by paying the $1 bil, but also an additional $400 mil. Now Jerry et al get what they must have, and as we all saw, it took about 10 minutes for the owners to vote yes. Jerry gets to go back to the banks and say "Well, if the Bills are worth $1.4 bil, then, we are worth even more!". So, Pegula == a good day for the NFL owners.

THAT is how this went down, and everything else is either BS, or a secondary concern.

Thus, you have it exactly assbackwards: Pegula's buying price had nothing to do with Ralph's demands. Instead, the price is a result of the other NFL owner's demands, that were put upon Ralph, Russ Brandon, and eventually, Pegula.

Knowing business is a great thing. Not knowing business? That's how you get Obamacare.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

These arent the same Koch brothers who fund the Republican party and all those right wing think tanks?

Obamacare wasnt about notknowing business, it was about the inability to get something that works through the political process. The past system was failing, the new one needs some major revisions for both business and patients. ps this comment pisses me off because business got us to a failed health system. Its a partnership that business cant or wont do alone. Kinda like how the NFL is no longer watchable.

These arent the same Koch brothers who fund the Republican party and all those right wing think tanks?

Obamacare wasnt about notknowing business, it was about the inability to get something that works through the political process. The past system was failing, the new one needs some major revisions for both business and patients. ps this comment pisses me off because business got us to a failed health system. Its a partnership that business cant or wont do alone. Kinda like how the NFL is no longer watchable.

It is the same Koch brothers - all the money is in Big Hat

We get to the same place, whether it's saying that Pegula had to overpay by Ralph Wilson's decree :rolleyes:, or whether it's thinking Obamacare(or whatever else is based on make it up as you go along) is predicated on proper enterprise system design methodology, via the same deficiency: lack of general business/specific industry knowledge. And, in the place of that knowledge?

Make-believe.

Edited by OCinBuffalo