Geno reflects on "The Punch" one year later

YoloinOhio

just needed a grown up spanking.

I think sitting behind Fitzpatrick for a couple years will prove to be good for him. Just like EJ sitting behind Tyrod. A lot of these QBs get thrown in to the fire a bit too early, I think.

Dude seriously, ej is NEVER going to be a starter in this league, he just doesn't have the accuracy and decisiveness.

Geno went from starter to backup and IK went from backup to starter. Moral of the story: go out and punch someone.

wonder if this will work on my boss B-)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude seriously, ej is NEVER going to be a starter in this league, he just doesn't have the accuracy and decisiveness.

You may be right, perhaps never a starter (unless he is serving as the #2 guy, behind a fallen starter), but if you go back and look at the two games he started last season, except for that disastrous 3 minutes or so against the Jags, he didn't play all that badly...but I know, those 3 minutes count. I would argue that he played pretty well against a better Bengals team, that got the Bills on a very poor day for the Bills defense (one of their truly awful performances last season), and, though EJ put the Bills in the hole against the Jags (I will give you that), he did hang in there and put together a nice second half that game. When Doug Whaley, weakly it seemed, to some, said after the season was over that EJ was still one of the better back-ups in the league and saw no real reason to actively seek to replace him, he was right, I think.

Edited by Buftex

You may be right, perhaps never a starter (unless he is serving as the #2 guy, behind a fallen starter), but if you go back and look at the two games he started last season, except for that disastrous 3 minutes or so against the Jags, he didn't play all that badly...but I know, those 3 minutes count. I would argue that he played pretty well against a better Bengals team, that got the Bills on a very poor day for the Bills defense (one of their truly awful performances last season), and, though EJ put the Bills in the hole against the Jags (I will give you that), he did hang in there and put together a nice second half that game. When Doug Whaley, weakly it seemed, to some, said after the season was over that EJ was still one of the better back-ups in the league and saw no real reason to actively seek to replace him, he was right, I think.

Mrs. Lincoln made a similar comment.

'Hey, this is not my fault. I'm the victim here, and this guy should be going to jail.' Instead, I manned up. I owned it. I took responsibility for whatever actions I had in that altercation, and I chose to let that fuel me to become a better man and a better player."

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but this sounds like agent-speak that Geno wasn't quite on board with: My actions vs. whatever actions I had...and make sure that anyone listening knows that IK should have gone to jail.

I'm not defending IK, but what always stuck with me was nobody on the Jets had the starting QB's back after he got sucker-punched by a backup.

I'm in agreement this was his agent telling him to say the right thing, and is the right thing. It's too bad $600, cost him his starting job. He probably would have lost it after three games though.

We could see him this year. The first 6 games for the Jets are brutal. If Fitz goes 2-4 or 1-5, then what do they do? Seriously. In the end, that is my hope as we could be 3-1 in September, and the Pats and Jets could both be 1-3, but then it gets tough for us.

Um, he did agree to be interviewed about it, right?

@nypost_brazille

Geno Smith has refused media requests the last few days after stories were written on first anniversary of him getting punched. GROW UP #nyj

This just in from Geno: "I have no problem with IK. My goal is to support him as best I can, and the best way I can is to give him a nice $5 tip every time he towel dries my car at the Delta Sonic".