Don't sleep on Glass Goodwin--making a good impression

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why is it so hard to understand that being on the roster, he takes away training and playing time from a WR that might actually amount to something in their careers.

The Bills understand this concept, but plainly they don't agree that Goodwin will never amount to anything. Goodwin has been with the organization since 2013 and the team has watched and coached him in every practice and at every game for which he has suited up since that time. The fact that the team has continued to give Goodwin opportunities--and now have him slotted as the number three receiver--despite his injury history, shows that they think highly of his ability. The Bills, who know Goodwin better than anyone as a teammate and as a football player, are most definitely not on board with your crusade.

Edited by mannc

It is nothing to keep him. If he can make the cut OK. The difference between the #5/6 is just knowing the playbook. I suspect Goodwin makes the team but we keep at least 2 wrs on the PS for him getting burt

The problem with Goodwin is he is a tease. He will be healthy; we will activate him (and we will keep the rest of the WR's inactive for gameday); and then he and Sammy will inevitably get injured within the first two minutes of a game, and the gameplan devolves to getting Lee Smith and Raymond Felton more touches.

All I hope is that his understudy is ready to take over a a moment's notice.

My money is on him not getting hurt. I've always thought that his injuries were bogus. He's been using the Bills to pay for his Olympic aspirations. He always played well enough to crack the 53, then "went down with injury." I call BS. He collected his paychecks and stayed out of harm's way so he could continue to chase his dream. Pretty brilliant, if you ask me. I bet he plays more games this season than he ever has. His Olympic dream is over. Now he might as well just play some football.

He also got hurt before the Olympic trials, which caused him to miss the cut.

I do have to say that I am shocked glass is hurt. Typically, he waits until the season starts.

Didn't he make the team a couple of years ago without playing at all in the preseason?

such as whom ?

honest question

Personally, I agree with this. I'm not sure if Goodwin can stay healthy for most of a season, but until there is someone on the roster who shows greater potential then you might as well keep him.

Didn't he make the team a couple of years ago without playing at all in the preseason?

Personally, I agree with this. I'm not sure if Goodwin can stay healthy for most of a season, but until there is someone on the roster who shows greater potential then you might as well keep him.

For lack of a better option, he should stay in the the rotation.

Dez to PS again, just in case...

For lack of a better option, he should stay in the the rotation.

Dez to PS again, just in case...

I'm not sure I see anything in Dez Lewis that would lead me to try and get him on the practice squad, but if he's the best out there then you gotta have bodies available.

I said this the day he was drafted, and throughout his time here: He's not a track star trying to play football...hes a football player who also excels in track. This kid can flat out play, he runs good routes and has good hands with the ability to torch anyone at any moment.

However: While early in his career I said its too soon to label him injury prone, he has gone on to really be just that...injury prone and struggled to stay on the field. Doesnt matter if you are the most talented player in the league, it means nothing if you don't stay on the field.

So for me, his impressive camp doesn't surprise me one bit, he always impressed in camp when he wasn't hurt. The kid can play. But everyones jokes and comments referencing his lack of durability are not only valid, but a real concern.

All that being said, its not unheard of for him to beat this injury bug, its been done numerous times in the past. I remember when Fred Taylor was the poster child of injuries early in his career, however, around this point in his career he got past all that and went on to stay relatively healthy the bulk of what was a great career. So lets all just hope he can put those injury concerns behind him and be a real weapon for this team.

What excites me most and remembering what a difference our offense looked like with a healthy Harvin last year. Goodwin can be every bit as good, if not better than a healthy Harvin IMO as long as he doesn't do the other Harvin impression which is get hurt.

Better than Harvin may be just a bit too generous.

My money is on him not getting hurt. I've always thought that his injuries were bogus. He's been using the Bills to pay for his Olympic aspirations. He always played well enough to crack the 53, then "went down with injury." I call BS. He collected his paychecks and stayed out of harm's way so he could continue to chase his dream. Pretty brilliant, if you ask me. I bet he plays more games this season than he ever has. His Olympic dream is over. Now he might as well just play some football.

Best new twist on an old topic.

such as whom ?

honest question

Id rather give Lewis, Salas, or Boykin a full shot at playing more.

Let me ask this question, did you or anyone think Stevie would amount to anything when he was not playing and barely a name on the back of a jersey. But the first full year he got a shot at playing he produced.

Let me ask this question, did you or anyone think Stevie would amount to anything when he was not playing and barely a name on the back of a jersey. But the first full year he got a shot at playing he produced.

You make a decent point about Stevie. But Goodwin is seriously looking good in camp. Is your concern that he's going to get hurt and that another guy won't be prepared because they don't get the preseason reps? If it is - based on the past, it's a valid concern. Unless you subscribe to my theory that his injuries were fake.

Interestingly, I remember that SJ has quite a few posters on TBD calling for him to play more. I never saw anything in him but apparently they did. I don't hear the same clamor for the guys you just mentioned.

Honestly, I'd rather have Goodwin for 4 games than one of them for 16.

A lot of people did - he was a quality pick that slid to us on draft day

I have been a Salas backer and expected him as the 3. injury has set that back. funny saying that i suppose when comparing to our beloved goodwin.

Boykin? meh and Lewis is still unripe enough for PS and can wait in the wings for MG to get hurt. You do know, i give these things some thought !

A lot of people did - he was a quality pick that slid to us on draft day

For me , recalling , has little to nothing to do with today. No offense to either of you folks

You make a decent point about Stevie. But Goodwin is seriously looking good in camp. Is your concern that he's going to get hurt and that another guy won't be prepared because they don't get the preseason reps? If it is - based on the past, it's a valid concern. Unless you subscribe to my theory that his injuries were fake.

not only is that my concern which is legitimate. I also don't think he's any good. Others have posted concerns of finding the ball in the air as well as adjusting to the ball in the air. He's average at best at this and usually bad.

I'll give him credit for blocking and being physical but the compliment pretty much end there. Yes he's fast but speed isn't the only thing that makes NFL players good. If that was the case, Jerry Rice would have been average at best and players like Roscoe and Glass would be HOFers.

His speed doesn't make anyone tremble or strike fear into defenses anywhere. If it did, he would have more than 20 catches and 3 TDs in his entire career. He's a gimmick/trick play/decoy and That's pretty much it.

Of course these are just my opinions. But at the end of the day, I'd rather give someone all his playing time and attempt to give someone else a chance to succeed as opposed to giving someone we've seen fail for 3 seasons.

Gug, I have had the same suspicion. Whats this about the concussion ****? Also if the olympic **** was over he could bulk up and wouldnt be glass Goodwin anymore. I think if he stays healthy hell make more RECs than Hogan did.

such as whom ?

honest question

See? This is to the premise of him being a tease. BECAUSE he is a 'World Class athlete'/'fly like wind'/'take the top off defenses, this player you request to see to validate the premise is very likely not here. Think about it. Since Sammy & Woods got injured early last year, the only WR's added were JAG's on the street. We even waited till late in the Draft for the next 'eye-popper' Listenbee, because of Glass. Case in point; if Goodwin weren't here, do you think the FO would be all over getting a real NFL receiver in here? You betcha!

I don't care how fast a guy is, how good he looks in his practice jersey, etc. - at some point he has to show that he can make a play against an opposing defense.