AstroNotes5: : Bills Camp Monday August 8

Astrobot

The kicking unit is already out on the field at 9:45, and Gay is doing an exercise where he tees the ball up, and without taking any approach steps, kicks it as far as he can. One went nearly 60 yards, which blows my theory that the approach steps are what add momentum and distance. The first non-kicking players into the grass field were O'Leary (who now must be really nervous since they brought in Jimmay Mundine), Walter Powell, and Reggie Bush.

Thanks for all these fantastic write-ups you do. Just wanted to mention as a former kicker that your kicking leg "snap" and maximum acceleration at contact are the largest factors.

Momentum of approach will certainly add a little force and distance, but because you have to plant and swing, too quick an approach will compromise your ability to fully accelerate your kicking foot at ball contact. It's a tricky balance and took me a while to figure out. If you watch most NFL kickers closely their kickoff approach run is not fast nor do they accelerate their approach pace much as they get closer. The coverage does though! :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tidbits on personnel groupings are nice. Running some 21 and 22 personnel. Have you noticed some changes from last year in types of play calls? Aside from the over the middle plays. Any motioning to an empty backfield? Or other types of presnap movement?

The tidbits on personnel groupings are nice. Running some 21 and 22 personnel. Have you noticed some changes from last year in types of play calls? Aside from the over the middle plays. Any motioning to an empty backfield? Or other types of presnap movement?

More 5 yard slants to Goodwin.

More deep patterns with and without crossing two WRs.

They've motioned quite a bit, yes to an empty backfield, but also with TE motioning with RB still present.

More double-moves by WRs.

I'd tell you more but then there'd be a knock at your door.

More 5 yard slants to Goodwin.

More deep patterns with and without crossing two WRs.

They've motioned quite a bit, yes to an empty backfield, but also with TE motioning with RB still present.

More double-moves by WRs.

I'd tell you more but then there'd be a knock at your door.

Read the Erik Turner article about Roman and his ability to change. Very rewarding read. If they start motion to create an empty backfield with a healthy O line during the season ,. Bills will be formidable to defense i think.

please do not tell me more. I am paranoid enough :ph34r:

cant get enough.

Am I the only guy still thinking Gragg could turn out to be okay?

It's certainly possible.

Clay Dray Annen Gragg?

Edited by 3rdand12

Thanks Astro!

O'Leary is refusing to get cut it seems. I haven't heard enough about Kevin Seymour though.

@salsports

Lost in my tweeting, earlier: Kevon Seymour did a terrific job on a deep ball intended for Hankerson. Great technique, knocked it away.

@lilboon

Two great plays by the secondary. Kevon Seymour with a great breakup deep and Sterling Moore jumps the route for a pick-6. #BillsCamp

@salsports

Lost in my tweeting, earlier: Kevon Seymour did a terrific job on a deep ball intended for Hankerson. Great technique, knocked it away.

@lilboon

Two great plays by the secondary. Kevon Seymour with a great breakup deep and Sterling Moore jumps the route for a pick-6. #BillsCamp

Thanks man! Good to hear

I'll be going tomorrow with two DraftTek buddies, Joe and Vito; I'll give you everyone's synergistic perspective tomorrow!

Astro

Would be interesting if you get a chance to focus at all on Kujo and Groy/Velasco filling in to see how our OL depth currently looks

Thanks for all these fantastic write-ups you do. Just wanted to mention as a former kicker that your kicking leg "snap" and maximum acceleration at contact are the largest factors.

Momentum of approach will certainly add a little force and distance, but because you have to plant and swing, too quick an approach will compromise your ability to fully accelerate your kicking foot at ball contact. It's a tricky balance and took me a while to figure out. If you watch most NFL kickers closely their kickoff approach run is not fast nor do they accelerate their approach pace much as they get closer. The coverage does though! :)

Yes that's why Happy Gilmore drives the ball further with his run up but would still hit it pretty far anyway...I just dropped a science bomb on ya'll.BOOM