Bills' 2016 Training Camp - Day 7

@JaySkurski

BN Blitz: Three things to watch for at Day Six of #Bills training camp: https://t.co/bJhsplWsny

The dog days of summer officially arrived for the Buffalo Bills on Thursday.

Despite a morning practice, temperatures on the field at St. John Fisher College reached 90 degrees. It's expected to be another scorcher Friday, when the team holds its sixth practice of training camp, from 10 a.m. to noon.

Bills coach Rex Ryan built in an extra water break during Thursday's practice, and the team made it through without any heat-related issues.

Here are three things to watch for at Friday's session:

1. Will Marcell Dareus make his debut?

2. Can Jonathan Meeks continue to make a push?

3. Will Cyrus Kouandjio get back on the field?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geez, I'd really like to see KuJo exhibit some sort of development, but time is running out. Just a poor, poor high draft pick by Whaley. Combined with EJ, that first draft of his has turned out to be his worst.

Geez, I'd really like to see KuJo exhibit some sort of development, but time is running out. Just a poor, poor high draft pick by Whaley. Combined with EJ, that first draft of his has turned out to be his worst.

EJ was 2013

Kouandjio was 2014

Many of us hated that pick at the time, and not a single thing has changed for me.

Not to beat a dead horse but I always felt EJ was a Buddy pick. He wanted his legacy to be he left us with a franchise QB.

That is certainly a big part of the decision...Buddy even said so, "Im not leaving until I get the QB of the future in place"...that said, Whaley has always been an EJ supporter, he was highly involved in that decision....

That said..I dont understand the Whaley haters, every decision maker misses, in all sports...its about hitting more than you miss, and Whaley has done that for sure

Kujo was drafted for potential...but, he sucks...

Not to beat a dead horse but I always felt EJ was a Buddy pick. He wanted his legacy to be he left us with a franchise QB.

Wrong!

Whaley has admitted this himself, it was his pick. It's on youtube with Whaley decrying that EJ "has that 'IT' factor."

Man, some people simply hate facts. This is also the reason why Whaley's still around what, four seasons after Nix is gone. No sane team would have kept EJ on this long.

It amazes me how many people here insist that EJ was Nix's pick despite Whaley saying it himself and saying that he's the one that should be out of a job if EJ didn't pan out. He should have been, but hey, we're the Bills, we fire people like Polian and keep turds like Whaley around and hire the least qualified people otherwise in the most key positions thereby launching us into an era whereby we insist on setting playoff futility records.

The sad part is that some fans actually support them, again, largely rooted in assessments that aren't even factually based.

Wrong!

Whaley has admitted this himself, it was his pick. It's on youtube with Whaley decrying that EJ "has that 'IT' factor."

Man, some people simply hate facts. This is also the reason why Whaley's still around what, four seasons after Nix is gone. No sane team would have kept EJ on this long.

It amazes me how many people here insist that EJ was Nix's pick despite Whaley saying it himself and saying that he's the one that should be out of a job if EJ didn't pan out. He should have been, but hey, we're the Bills, we fire people like Polian and keep turds like Whaley around and hire the least qualified people otherwise in the most key positions thereby launching us into an era whereby we insist on setting playoff futility records.

The sad part is that some fans actually support them, again, largely rooted in assessments that aren't even factually based.

Link?

I do remember him saying EJ has the "it factor", but never "EJ was MY pick and mine alone". I thought he always said "We make picks as a team here, it's a group decision" (which, is I'm sure how it is - no ONE PERSON has all the power, it's as consensus).

You talk about lack of facts, but provide none...

Also, excited to see what happens today, anyone been listening to Murph's wrap-ups / interviews at Noon? Good stuff!

Go Bills!

Edited by Heitz

Wrong!

People are splitting hairs on the EJ pick, because the blame is on the organization for failing to address the QB situation earlier and then getting painted into a corner to be forced to select a QB in the worst QB class in a very long time.

But if you only want to focus on 2013 and not the faults before that year, then yes Buddy knew the team had to pick a QB early, but it was Whaley who did most of the legwork in actually selecting the pick, who turned out to be EJ. But it's not like he had a lot to work with. All we know so far is Glennon looks better than EJ (not my much) and EJ is better than Geno.

Again, the fault is with the team not picking a QB in prior years.

EJ was 2013

Kouandjio was 2014

Whoops! Thx for the correction.

As for the "whose pick was EJ" debate, it just doesn't matter any more. At least they traded down and got the extra selection that eventually became Shady.

Link?

I do remember him saying EJ has the "it factor", but never "EJ was MY pick and mine alone". I thought he always said "We make picks as a team here, it's a group decision" (which, is I'm sure how it is - no ONE PERSON has all the power, it's as consensus).

Also, excited to see what happens today, anyone been listening to Murph's wrap-ups / interviews at Noon? Good stuff!

Go Bills!

He did take some ownership of the pick back in 2013: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick

@buffalobills

Rise and grind. It's time to get better. #BillsCamp 1f4f7.png: http://bufbills.co/p5GhKz

CpGdLeMWAAARHIL.jpg

@ChrisBrownBills

No pads for Richie today. Might be veteran rest day. We'll get details from Rex post practice. #Bills

CpGebrhWcAADjDc.jpg
Ryan Groy will step in for Incognito today at starting left guard. Has also worked some backup center in this camp so far. #Bills

Wrong!

You do realize that Doug Whaley defends EVERY pick like it was his no matter what.....that is part of his job

I swear to christ sometimes Tasker...dense

Welcome to a conversation with Tasker's Ghost. :lol:

Anyway, here's a direct quote from Whaley:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Thursday. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

Whaley did allow that it was a "collaborative effort" between area scouts, cross-checkers, coach Doug Marrone and Nix, but the new front-office boss is comfortable with hanging his hat on Manuel after vetting the quarterback in the pre-draft process.

So yes, Whaley was an integral part of the decision...that said, it was clearly a collaborative effort.

I've said many times before that I believe that Whaley did the right thing by picking EJ. They had nothing that resembled a potential franchise QB at the time, so they took the guy with the most upside, which was clearly EJ. The pick didn't work out, and that's a shame, so you move on to the next guy.

And it's quite clear that the reason that EJ is still on the team is because, prior to this season, it would have cost them cap space to cut him. Now that is no longer the case, but since they don't have another option at backup, and haven't found a trade partner for EJ (so as to clear some of the cap hit if he's no longer here), it makes sense to hold onto him.

He has a contract. The Bills would literally pay (cap space) to cut him and then have to pay a backup as well.

Yeah. Nothing but dead money. You can say it was a bust pick, but since the contract was fully guaranteed there's little reason to lament keeping EJ until the end of this year.