Don't expect Rex or Whaley to be fired in the offseason

I used to be guilty of this. I wanted to give Jauron and Gailey more time. But it was painful obvious they just weren't great coaches. And I would argue both accomplished more with their talent than Rex did last year.

If he has another 8-8 or worse season, it seems more likely that he is a below average coach. Those first 2 seasons were the flukes, including going 9-7 and making the playoffs (the Jetswent 10-6 and missed this year).

The Cardinals went from 5-11 to 10-6 in Brice Arians first year. Bills fans need to stop settling for average to below average. Rex's mouth makes people believe he is a better coach than the results have shown. Hopefully, he has s great year. But he needs to prove it and not just say it.

Jauron and Gailey were much better than the son of the 85 Bears Defensive Coordinator

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how many of those teams that did fire the coach/GM after less than 3 years actually improved when the brought the next guy in? Seems to be working great in Cleveland. I think unless the Bills completely collapse this year, he'll likely be back for another year. Having you're #1 draft pick miss potentially all or part of the season also tends to give Rex a mulligan to some level.

And look at how those teams are still doing...terrible! Cleveland has a history with Haslam of constantly firing coaches quickly and how well has that worked for them?

Look at the Pegula's track record with the Sabres. They're not the type to make quick, irrational decisions. Also, the Pegula's don't see this as year #16 like the rest of us Bills fans, they see this as year #2. So while others in the media feel that if Rex and Doug don't make the playoffs this year that they're going to be fired, they're just trying to stir the pot in hopes that ownership will listen to them and act upon it. Sorry, but the Pegula's are patient people and even Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon confirmed it on the radio.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Could you please go back and look at how most of those teams are doing?

Hardly a success

The Cleveland comparison is meaningless. Those were awful coaching hires to be sure, but their roster is pretty rough. Compare that to the roster Rex gets to work with. Does anyone really think that the Bills are not as talented as the Browns? No, no one does. So if Rex can't make the playoffs with a pretty loaded roster, why would he deserve another year?

Also, the Sabres have sucked since the Pegulas bought them. They had 43 wins by the end of their first year (2011). Turns out that would be the peak year. Down hill since.

Jauron and Gailey were much better than the son of the 85 Bears Defensive Coordinator

It sounds funny to say but so far as Bills coaches, they were. It is kinda amazing what Gailey got out of UDFAs and low round picks like Jackson, Nelson, Fitz, Jones, and etc. and I bet Jauron would have like a d line like The 2 Williams, Dareus, & Hughes instead of having to start Kelsey and that group.

wrong...altho I like Gailey..how well did he do against Rex last year.?....and Jauron..what joke...too funny

The Jets had the 10th ranked offense with Fitz, who some folks think is terrible. We went from 4th to 19th in defense & went from 54 sacks to 21. Rex did well against the Jets. Unfortunately, there are 14 other games. The Rams swept the Seahawks. How did that work out for both teams?

It sounds funny to say but so far as Bills coaches, they were. It is kinda amazing what Gailey got out of UDFAs and low round picks like Jackson, Nelson, Fitz, Jones, and etc. and I bet Jauron would have like a d line like The 2 Williams, Dareus, & Hughes instead of having to start Kelsey and that group.

When you look back at the Bills from when I first started watching games about a decade ago, how that team didn't go 0-16, I'll never know.

Edwards/Losman, Roscoe Parrish, Robert Royal, Josh Reed, Michael Gaines on offense. John DiGiorgio, Keith Ellison, Angelo Crowell, Chris Kelsay. My lord, taking that to 7-9 deserves a retrospective knighthood.

The Jets had the 10th ranked offense with Fitz, who some folks think is terrible. We went from 4th to 19th in defense & went from 54 sacks to 21. Rex did well against the Jets. Unfortunately, there are 14 other games. The Rams swept the Seahawks. How did that work out for both teams?

And how many more wins did that '14 defense and all those sacks get us?...same record..unless you count the phony Pats* win..I don't

And how many more wins did that '14 defense and all those sacks get us?...same record..unless you count the phony Pats* win..I don't

By the same logic, I won't count a win against a terrible Cowboys team with Kellen Moore.

Our defense in 2014 beat Aaron Rodgers without an offensive td. They were the main reasons for a lot of our wins in 2014 with EJ and heartless Orton at qb. I really don't get how anyone can argue against how awesome the defense was in 2014.

When you look back at the Bills from when I first started watching games about a decade ago, how that team didn't go 0-16, I'll never know.

Edwards/Losman, Roscoe Parrish, Robert Royal, Josh Reed, Michael Gaines on offense. John DiGiorgio, Keith Ellison, Angelo Crowell, Chris Kelsay. My lord, taking that to 7-9 deserves a retrospective knighthood.

Haha. I think Jauron isn't as bad of a coach as he was made out to be. They just were awful at drafting and couldn't get quality FAs.

Rex Ryan = a more talkative Jauron

Haha. I think Jauron isn't as bad of a coach as he was made out to be. They just were awful at drafting and couldn't get quality FAs.

Rex Ryan = a more talkative Jauron

Dick had the worst personality for Buffalo. Can't go around saying stuff like "We punted well" with this enthusiastic lot.

The team seemed handicapped by ownership for a long time. It probably did a disservice to some fine men (Wade, Jauron, Chan). I remember when Chan left, I've never felt so much emotion from sport. The job absolutely broke him.

The Bills were in position to be successful and chose the switch defensive philosophy willingly. That rendered 2015 a lost year as some key players were reaching their peaks on cheap deals.

The window for that is closing. If they can't get it done this year, what hope do we have that this team will be good under them with $30-odd million a year tied up at QB/CB?

If the talent is there but the coaching isn't (ie. another .500 or so season missing the playoffs), surely fresh impetus would be required.

The offense finished Top 10 in efficiency for the first time in well over a decade. But I guess the head coach gets no credit for that from you, right?

Yeah... frequently changing your coach is the road to success. Look how well it has worked for Cleveland.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzpwB1.png

Last column is win percentage.

Personally besides Belichick, I just see a lot of bad coaches. It's not like Rex is a first time head coach and I'd give him more slack if he was. You should be able to tell in a coach's 2nd job if they have learned from their first job. Based on year 1 here, Rex didn't.

The offense finished Top 10 in efficiency for the first time in well over a decade. But I guess the head coach gets no credit for that from you, right?

It's got to end up producing results though. Enough with this content being in the race stuff, the goal is playing meaningful games in January.

I'm not writing Rex off, just that the time for talk is well and truly over. If they can't produce with the talent at their disposal, it's not the talent that needs to change.

I don't think it should depend squarely upon continuity. I do favor it, but at the same time, the team needs to be showing signs of progress, since Rex hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt yet.

IMO, it'll be obvious whether or not they should sack the current regime. If they make progress on both sides of the ball, and it's palpable, then they should stay regardless of whether or not they have a playoff campaign (though I tend to believe that significant progress on both sides of the ball would yield a playoff berth).

If they don't progress on either side, then they're gone.

If it's somewhere in the middle, then the record will speak for itself; anything other than a winning season should probably see them gone.

Personally besides Belichick, I just see a lot of bad coaches. It's not like Rex is a first time head coach and I'd give him more slack if he was. You should be able to tell in a coach's 2nd job if they have learned from their first job. Based on year 1 here, Rex didn't.

What did he not learn? The knock on him with the Jets was poor quarterbacks and bad offense. So he gets hired here and goes out and lands Tyrod Taylor and grabs Greg Roman. Boom - best offense in Buffalo in over a decade.

Yeah... frequently changing your coach is the road to success. Look how well it has worked for Cleveland.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzpwB1.png

Last column is win percentage.

How many of those coaches (other than the obvious one) would have succeeded if given more time? Again, the problem in cleveland is not lack of patience; it's bad hiring, combined with bad drafting and plenty of bad luck thrown in for good measure.

For those that think either Rex Ryan and/or Doug Whaley will be fired in the offseason if the Bills fail to make the playoffs, it's not going to happen. Both Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon stated on WGR550 that they believe in continuity and this is only year 2 in the Pegula/Whaley/Ryan era.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/116124419/07-28-bills-president-russ-brandon-on-the-john-murphy-show.htm?pageid=1114062

if they finish 4-12 someone will be fired

Continuity is only good if it's continuity of something good. This season should be make or break, especially since it was management that broke it in the first place.

Perfectly stated.

Rex Ryan has proven he loses more games than he wins as a head coach throughout his NFL career. Why would anyone want a proven loser to remain for the sake of continuity?