Bills Cap Situation,Tyrod & Gilmore Deals, Future Outlook

Over the last few weeks I've been working on a few posts simultaneously. One was looking at where the Bills have allocated their salary cap (position-wise) and one was projecting deals for Tyrod Taylor and Stephon Gilmore that would be structured to fit under the 2016 salary cap. While working on them, ESPN published their "Future Power Rankings" in which the Bills ranked 28th. I decided to consolidate what I had already written and look at how the Buffalo Bills have set themselves up to work around the cap in future seasons.It's a bit of a long read, but even I found myself getting a bit surprised at some of what I read.

In-depth Look at Buffalo Bills Salary Cap Situation, Tyrod Taylor & Stephon Gilmore Contracts & Future Cap Flexibility

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. I learned quite a lot.

My only comment is that I'd be *real* surprised McCoy is on the team in 2020. I doubt he'll even be here in 2017.

I agree, I just wanted to lay out the commitments they have contract wise. It's not likely that Davonte Allen or Gary Chambers make this year's squad, let alone next year, but they do count vs the cap, so I included it.

Great article. I learned quite a lot.

My only comment is that I'd be *real* surprised McCoy is on the team in 2020. I doubt he'll even be here in 2017.

They only save $1m if they cut him after this season, but $8m if it's after the 2017 season.

McCoy will be a Bill in 2017.

They only save $1m if they cut him after this season, but $8m if it's after the 2017 season.

McCoy will be a Bill in 2017.

if they cut him after this season they save $1m vs cap but $7.875 mil in dead money. save $3.7 with $5.25 mil dead money after 2017. only save real money if they cut in 2018 (final year) for $4 mil. It's a horrible contract for a RB

if they cut him after this season they save $1m vs cap but $7.875 mil in dead money. save $3.7 with $5.25 mil dead money after 2017. only save real money if they cut in 2018 (final year) for $4 mil. It's a horrible contract for a RB

If this team put as much effort, money and draft picks into the QB position as they did the RB position we'd probably be much better off.

Why?

If this team put as much effort, money and draft picks into the QB position as they did the RB position we'd probably be much better off.

Clearly what's changed in the NFL is finding RB's is hard and takes up too much time vs QB's which is easy.

@RapSheet

Clarity on 1 contract situation: Appears #Bills CB Stephon Gilmore is set to play out his last year of his deal. Talks havent progressed

That is interesting and if it plays out this way I assume a few things-

First Whaley wants to see how Darby does.

Second Whaley believes he can find another Darby or talented CB through the draft.

Third Whaley believes worse case scenario he can find a solid CB in FA. A 'second tier' CB that can play opposite Darby.

Really? I thought it was a matter of finding a QB, not how high we draft or pay one?

Its just not that simple

Running backs - relatively easy to find

Quality QBs - like trying to find and ride a unicorn.....I understand the philosphy of taking a bunch of at bats trying to find it.....but too many swings at one position leaves you with no talent to field a team.

Its just not that simple

Running backs - relatively easy to find

Quality QBs - like trying to find and ride a unicorn.....I understand the philosphy of taking a bunch of at bats trying to find it.....but too many swings at one position leaves you with no talent to field a team.

You can't talk to the people that think this way. They just think you decide to try and you get a great QB - they believe it's a mindset.

Crickets from Deranged Rhino?

Where is the outrage?