Bills Cap Situation,Tyrod & Gilmore Deals, Future Outlook

Quality QBs - like trying to find and ride a unicorn.....I understand the philosphy of taking a bunch of at bats trying to find it.....but too many swings at one position leaves you with no talent to field a team.

Incorrect John.

As I've pointed out many times........players at other positions turn over pretty fast.......especially when you don't have a QB and subsequently lose a lot.

Losing causes false negative impressions of players and causes players to want to leave........or just quit prematurely like Aaron Schobel, for instance.

At one point in the Gailey era the Bills basically had almost nothing to show for over a decades worth of first round picks from the time that Drew Brees was drafted forward.

And Brees is still a star today.

QB is a position of entirely different value.

And back to the Gailey era......within a year or so, with precious little to show from years of loser-quality first round picks.......they had a pretty good roster........a playoff capable roster.........except for the lack of a QB, of course.

A good front office can build a team that has a good QB into a contender FAST..........see the Seahawks.......who were built almost from scratch in 2 mediocre seasons.

The number one job of an organization is to maximize the quality of their QB play.........because if you can play QB, you can sustain success.

Edited by #BADOL

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crickets from Deranged Rhino?

Where is the outrage?

Outrage for what? I've always said the contract was fair game to argue. I disagree, I don't think for what he brings and how the roster is assembled it's a horrible contract. But it's fair game to criticize.

If you bothered to listen to anything other than your own self involved, narcissistic ramblings you'd have realized that.

Letting Gilmore play out his contract helps the Bills. They can continue to evaluate his importance to this defense, and determine the relative talent of the other CBs. They will have more clarity at end of season than they do now. They will also know more about TT, whose money plays into Gilmore's.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Outrage for what? I've always said the contract was fair game to argue. I disagree, I don't think for what he brings and how the roster is assembled it's a horrible contract. But it's fair game to criticize.

Oh, ok. :rolleyes:

I can't recall exactly why you said the roster make-up makes unnecessarily overpaying a RB for the next 3-5 seasons justified.

Is it the idea that they didn't have big money invested in a QB, yet? Then why backload so many guarantees for years when they would plan to?

Remember the "Shady only accounts for 4% of the cap" argument you were supporting?

Incongruence.

Is it really that hard to admit that the contract sucked? :lol:

Edited by #BADOL

Oh, ok. :rolleyes:

I can't recall exactly why you said the roster make-up makes unnecessarily overpaying a RB for the next 3-5 seasons justified.

Is it the idea that they didn't have big money invested in a QB, yet? Then why backload so many guarantees for years when they would plan to?

Remember the "Shady only accounts for 4% of the cap" argument you were supporting?

Incongruence.

Is it really that hard to admit that the contract sucked? :lol:

You do a wonderful job of having conversations with yourself where you presume to know what people are thinking and their motives, then reinvent history to bend it to your preconceived conclusions.

So it's not shocking that you don't remember what I said. You're too busy listening to yourself.

Incorrect John.

As I've pointed out many times........players at other positions turn over pretty fast.......especially when you don't have a QB and subsequently lose a lot.

Losing causes false negative impressions of players and causes players to want to leave........or just quit prematurely like Aaron Schobel, for instance.

At one point in the Gailey era the Bills basically had almost nothing to show for over a decades worth of first round picks from the time that Drew Brees was drafted forward.

And back to the Gailey era......within a year or so, with precious little to show from years of loser-quality first round picks.......they had a pretty good roster........a playoff capable roster.........except for the lack of a QB, of course.

A good front office can build a team that has a good QB into a contender FAST..........see the Seahawks.......who were built almost from scratch in 2 mediocre seasons.

The number one job of an organization is to maximize the quality of their QB play.........because if you can play QB, you can sustain success.

How in any way does your statement make my statement incorrect

My point is that QBs are extremely hard to find.....you can use top 5 picks on QBs and STILL strike out.....you can trade for QBs and give up the farm and STILL come up short

It is the position that is the hardest to find....so it makes sense to keep looking. Those that say we should draft a QB every year....I actually do not have a hard time with that philosophy....it should be addressed and addressed hard every year till its found

but

That does not mean that you should neglect other positions....particulary the running back position because our team relies so heavily in quality play at that position.

I know you dont like the McCoy contract (everyone knows this actually you have made your position very clear) and there are things in your arguement that have merit to me....and with the bills making sure to draft a RB in every draft of the last two years maybe they even feel some buyers remorse on Shady...however.....Shady is gonna be a big part of this years offense as we bring these youngster's along.

You do a wonderful job of having conversations with yourself where you presume to know what people are thinking and their motives, then reinvent history to bend it to your preconceived conclusions.

So it's not shocking that you don't remember what I said. You're too busy listening to yourself.

You just won't elaborate on your take because you know how dumb it ACTUALLY sounds.

How the roster is composed....... :rolleyes:

Incorrect John.

So what's your suggestion to find a QB? Tank to get the top 1 or 2 pick?

You just won't elaborate on your take because you know how dumb it ACTUALLY sounds.

How the roster is composed....... :rolleyes:

Again that's not true. But you're not good with sticking to your word, let alone other's.

As a side note, it's somewhat ironic that you're calling something I said -- when you admittedly can't recall what I said -- dumb just moments after trying to make the case that your extensive history of groin injuries gives you insight into when professional athletes are faking an injury.

That's like the irony lotto.

Again that's not true. But you're not good with sticking to your word, let alone other's.

As a side note, it's somewhat ironic that you're calling something I said -- when you admittedly can't recall what I said -- dumb just moments after trying to make the case that your extensive history of groin injuries gives you insight into when professional athletes are faking an injury.

That's like the irony lotto.

I NEVER said anything about Woods faking an injury. I did say.......it should be duly noted that the first to bring up the injury after-the-fact was Rex........and that should have been your first indicator that it was likely being blown out of proportion. :lol:

And yes......you don't want to elaborate on what you said regarding Shady's contract because you know it sounds ridiculous. :lol:

I NEVER said anything about Woods faking an injury.

Whatever you have to tell yourself. Fortunately for the rest of us, there is a written record which shows, once again, you're full of it.

His hands were shaky last year.......not in terms of drops but he had some bobbles that cost him yardage.......a big deal for an offense that was struggling to string together first downs.

Of course he couldn't run after the catch at all.......he just took a step and fell on his face most of the time.

That was later blamed on a groin injury so I am expecting a huge jump in RAC yards this season. :flirt:

So what's your suggestion to find a QB? Tank to get the top 1 or 2 pick?

You draft them until you get one because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

The last time the Bills drafted a quarterback with their regularly slotted first pick in the first round of any draft was actually 1960.

They simply weren't a QB-centric organization under Ralph Wilson.

The few instances where they selected QB's in round one were their second picks of round 1, trade-backs and trade-ups using next seasons picks(or trades for vets)........they've basically NEVER been all-in on a college QB in the past 55 years.

Since then roughly half of their #1 picks have been RB's and DB's.

Whatever you have to tell yourself. Fortunately for the rest of us, there is a written record which shows, once again, you're full of it.

Thank you......it's right there in print........I never said he was faking it.

Rex blamed his struggles on his groin injury......Rex never exaggerates or tries to prop up his players...... does he? :lol:

Have I mentioned that you are getting weirder all the time. :lol:

Again that's not true.

Then enlighten us with the truth on the "composition of the roster" argument.

What are you afraid of?

Thank you......it's right there in print........I never said he was faking it.

It's heavily implied. And the fact that you doubled down on that stance by going to great lengths to describe your own history of groin injuries and how that gives you added insight only makes the implication all the stronger. Add to that the fact it wasn't until the absurdity of that argument was made fun of that you suddenly "never said he was faking it".

Riiiight.

As I've said, dishonesty is your strong suit. That and narcissism.

Then enlighten us with the truth on the "composition of the roster" argument.

What are you afraid of?

What am I afraid of?

There ya' go assuming things again. Did you get that psychic vibe from your groin injury?

You draft them until you get one because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

The last time the Bills drafted a quarterback with their regularly slotted first pick in the first round of any draft was actually 1960.

They simply weren't a QB-centric organization under Ralph Wilson.

The few instances where they selected QB's in round one were their second picks of round 1, trade-backs and trade-ups using next seasons picks(or trades for vets)........they've basically NEVER been all-in on a college QB in the past 55 years.

Since then roughly half of their #1 picks have been RB's and DB's.

I'm sorry but that's just stupid if you look at our draft position and the likelihood of that working out. I really knew what you were going to say - but wasn't sure if you would let everyone know how flawed you are in your thinking.

I'm sorry but that's just stupid if you look at our draft position and the likelihood of that working out. I really knew what you were going to say - but wasn't sure if you would let everyone know how flawed you are in your thinking.

Well I think you are stupid too. :rolleyes:

Good organizations are built on good systems........the Bills organizational objectives have always been changing.

The two things you need to be doing right to sustain success are addressing the QB situation aggressively until it's resolved and hiring the best coaches possible.

The Bills of Ralph half-stepped at the QB position and were just dreadful wrt head coaching decisions.

I've said this dozens of times before on TSW.......if they had stayed in place and drafted the next QB that was selected each draft since Butler left they would have drafted Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco......3 SB winning QB's.......2 lock HOF QB's.

They'd also have drafted a host of other good to awful QB's.

The Bills are actually in a relative "golden age" for having their first round picks still on the roster.......but still all they have to show for 16 years of losing quality first round picks are EJ, Gilmore, Dareus, Watkins and Shaq Lawson.

Three very good starters.....one of whom is a pending free agent.

So explain to me why it is so important to not use first round picks on QB's?

I've said this dozens of times before on TSW.......if they had stayed in place and drafted the next QB that was selected each draft since Butler left they would have drafted Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco......3 SB winning QB's.......2 lock HOF QB's.

That is the best point I have read in a long time

That is the best point I have read in a long time

Thank you. :thumbsup:

There is a misconception here that the Bills haven't been able to get a franchise QB because they aren't..........and I quote from a prior thread......."drafting in the top 5" very often.

The reality is that only THREE of the last 16 SB winning teams did so with a QB that they "drafted in the top 5".

Peyton once with Indy and Eli twice with the Giants........and a lot of folks think Eli is luckier than he is good.

Basically you either got a Manning with your top 5 QB pick or you have no Lombardi's to show for that "tanked" season for the past 16 years.

The evidence does not support the "unlucky" or "not bad enough" excuses.

Edited by #BADOL

Well I think you are stupid too. :rolleyes:

Good organizations are built on good systems........the Bills organizational objectives have always been changing.

The two things you need to be doing right to sustain success are addressing the QB situation aggressively until it's resolved and hiring the best coaches possible.

The Bills of Ralph half-stepped at the QB position and were just dreadful wrt head coaching decisions.

They'd also have drafted a host of other good to awful QB's.

The Bills are actually in a relative "golden age" for having their first round picks still on the roster.......but still all they have to show for 16 years of losing quality first round picks are EJ, Gilmore, Dareus, Watkins and Shaq Lawson.

Three very good starters.....one of whom is a pending free agent.

So explain to me why it is so important to not use first round picks on QB's?

I think you make good arguements whether I think they are correct or not

I do ask though.....what makes you think the bills dont screw up and end up taking qbs other then the names you mentioned?