The NFL is Studying Whether They Should Narrow Uprights

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather they just use the chip to determine if the ball crossed the plain, made the first down, and if the ball went through the uprights.

I agree that this would be a good reason to leverage technology to improve the game.

Problem with the kicking game isn't the width of the uprights or the distance of the extra point. Problem with the kicking game is the holder. Remove the holder from the game, make everything a drop kick. Move the extra point back to the 2 yard line, 1 point for drop kick, 2 for running/passing over the goal line. Won't be seeing 50 yard field goals that are now chip shots. Doug Flutie will come out of retirement!

Problem with the kicking game isn't the width of the uprights or the distance of the extra point. Problem with the kicking game is the holder. Remove the holder from the game, make everything a drop kick. Move the extra point back to the 2 yard line, 1 point for drop kick, 2 for running/passing over the goal line. Won't be seeing 50 yard field goals that are now chip shots. Doug Flutie will come out of retirement!

Might as well go back to leather helmets and outlaw the forward pass while we're at it.

I was with you until the last sentence. No one wants that.

How about a 2nd, higher cross bar? Force the kick to be low enough to go into a 'goal'. Certainly make it a much tougher kick as well as much more easily blocked.

I was thinking the same thing. Then you don't have to have that massive net behind the thing either, you'd just have a net that the ball get's caught in.

Oh, and then you don't have to decide if its good or not. If it's good, its in the net.

It'd also encourage lower trajectory kicks - which means more blocks.

Edited by dneveu