Andre Johnson wants a shot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you turning this into a McCoy thread?

Because the thread was otherwise going to be a dud...... :thumbsup:

Predictably there was virtually no interest from Bills fans in a veteran star skill player who had a down year even though he had nearly 200 catches and 2300+ yards receiving in the prior two seasons.

But there is a learning moment in here wrt what a star players decline looks like and their subsequent value when they cease to be super.

Youth will be served.

That's funny. Badol, I'm sure your a good guy, but you are like Wolowitz from the Big Bang Theory I think in season 6. Leonard and Sheldon were performing experiments on Wolowitz because he would turn every conversation into how he went into space. It was hilarious as no matter what was said, he turned into an astronaut comment.

Just kidding Badol. I think every person on TBD is aware how much you cannot stand him on this team, and all the reasons we were fools for taking him. We definitely know.

Anyway, Andre Johnson needs to hang it up. He's past his prime, and should find another endeavor.

Hey, I am having fun with it and educating as I go. :flirt:

But it is not true at all that I cannot stand him on this team.

If he were on a short term contract for MUCH less money I would probably be happy with it because he'd likely be a lot more inclined to do things like follow the blocking the way Roman draws it up and be a better and more committed teammate.

By extending his deal and guaranteeing 2/3 of it they basically impaled themselves on a double-edge sword by not only throwing away a lot of money on a high mileage guy who was already showing signs of decline.....but also taking away 2/3 of his motivation to be the best he can be by prepaying for his services. :doh:

And you know what......

HE WAS UNDER CONTRACT WHEN THEY TRADED FOR HIM AND HAD ZERO LEVERAGE. :lol:

Now add in the fact that he was dealt to an also-ran team in a city he never wanted to come to and it probably isn't all that surprising that he was a disappointment and isn't exactly off to an inspiring start nursing another hamstring.

What is the average career for a WR? Because AJ played 12 seasons before declining last year.

The list of WR that played very well into their mid-30's is very long.

I know what you are implying but it's probably best you leave it at that before you embarrass yourself trying to compare RB longevity to WR. B-)

The Shadester came into the NFL young but he is entering his 8th season in the NFL...and has a ton of miles on him.....he is basically the equivalent of a 30 year old RB right now.

For Andre Johnson to get a good look at another NFL job he might have to prove that he can adapt to being a hard-nosed, team-first guy like Anquan Boldin instead of a guy who still thinks he's a #1.

As these big WR's slow down with age, I often wonder why they don't move to a split out TE position. Andre Johnson is two inches taller and only ten pounds lighter than Aaron Hernandez was when he played TE/WR. Johnson is not as tall as some of the elite TE's but he has the right size/speed combo to create some matchup issues.

I know what you are implying but it's probably best you leave it at that before you embarrass yourself trying to compare RB longevity to WR. B-)

The Shadester came into the NFL young but he is entering his 8th season in the NFL...and has a ton of miles on him.....he is basically the equivalent of a 30 year old RB right now.

For Andre Johnson to get a good look at another NFL job he might have to prove that he can adapt to being a hard-nosed, team-first guy like Anquan Boldin instead of a guy who still thinks he's a #1.

Good take on the Boldin comparison but Johnson was much faster than Boldin ever was. Like you said can Johnson learn to do more than run fly and post patterns. He has the size to go over the middle and block down-field. Is he willing to do that for a paycheck and a borderline playoff team?

Sure get a shot post week 1 when salary is not guaranteed.

Bingo. The Bills aren't exactly in a "choosers" position where WRs are concerned. If a better option comes available before week one concludes, then so much the better. If not, then we might be happy to have an Andre Johnson on his last legs.

As these big WR's slow down with age, I often wonder why they don't move to a split out TE position. Andre Johnson is two inches taller and only ten pounds lighter than Aaron Hernandez was when he played TE/WR. Johnson is not as tall as some of the elite TE's but he has the right size/speed combo to create some matchup issues.

Good take on the Boldin comparison but Johnson was much faster than Boldin ever was. Like you said can Johnson learn to do more than run fly and post patterns. He has the size to go over the middle and block down-field. Is he willing to do that for a paycheck and a borderline playoff team?

I think you answered your question about why they don't try to transition to TE or turn into more hardnosed role players when you said "paycheck". Guys like Andre Johnson are very wealthy, they aren't changing so when they can't do it their way it's pretty much over. Boldin hasn't had to change, he's always been the physical, team first, team leader type.

So you can't answer the question then, can you? B-)

It's sad seeing once great players do this. Sign yourself a one day contract with the Texans, hang up the cleats, and get a respectable job doing commercials for a local car dealership.

I agree with this. When Andre Johnson is begging for a job, you know he's done.

Having recently gone back over the Week 1 Bills/Colts game, he did have a couple of really beautiful run blocks. Maybe he might be useful on that front but I'd rather give the likes of Lewis/Listenbee a shot.

Last year he had his issues. Would love to see what's left in his tank. Could come cheap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/06/andre-johnson-still-hoping-some-team-will-give-him-a-shot/

hope he can run deep.

He started getting more targets with hassellback and was having some okay games I felt like him and luck never had chemistry

proof Luck is a bust, they should trade him to us immediately and then trade Rex for Bruce Arians, Championship !! (Colts didn't know what they had)

you are certainly not the only one, Jerry

but could TT find him over the middle.

hope he can run deep.

proof Luck is a bust, they should trade him to us immediately and then trade Rex for Bruce Arians, Championship !! (Colts didn't know what they had)

but could TT find him over the middle.

If TT can work his pocket a bit better ( i think he will ).

But does AJ want to take that beating like Woods did?