Airlines not much different than amusement parks

You can pay to skip the line.

The practice of amusement parks of selling line passes is part of reason why I have stopped going to them. In one park I went we were told after we went in, after we paid, about the number of rides in "degraded" states with less cars, etc available due to maintenance but when we went to ride we found they did not reduce the number of passes allowed and at one time I saw the same group go on four times when waiting for a car to be available. I voted with my dollars and told park I would not return until they changed policy and posted it on website. I have not returned since.

Airlines do same thing allowing first class or in some cases anyone who just pays extra money to skip the lines.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-23/elite-travelers-skip-the-airport-security-line-for-a-price

Same Scrutiny

While these programs often use words like “expedited security,” none of them alter how the TSA conducts screening, according to the agency. People entering through shorter lines get the same level of scrutiny. All such arrangements are also subject to TSA airport security reviews, according to the agency.

“Buying your way to the front of the line -- that has nothing to do with the level of security,” former U.S. Senator Ben Nelson, a Nebraska Democrat who filed legislation in 2012 to prohibit the practice, said in an interview. “Why should you have other folks stand in longer lines for a federal government program, the TSA?”

You're damn right. My Priority status on Virgin America has been a godsend these past several weeks. :thumbsup:

TSA is funded by the airlines so makes sense the airlines can prioritize security just as they prioritize boarding and seating.

So just the other day you were asking about how to get Global Entry and now you're complaining about people skipping to the head of the line, which you want to do?

Sorry, but when I'm on my 30th business trip of the year, I should be able to skip ahead of the people taking their one trip a year to Florida.

So just the other day you were asking about how to get Global Entry and now you're complaining about people skipping to the head of the line, which you want to do?

Sorry, but when I'm on my 30th business trip of the year, I should be able to skip ahead of the people taking their one trip a year to Florida.

If you read the article you would see the difference between cut in line pass and something which you are pre-screened for.

If you read the article you would see the difference between cut in line pass and something which you are pre-screened for.

I do know the difference because I've used both. But the basic premise is the same, pay extra, skip to the faster line.

Amen...hate f'in amateur travelers who hold up everything.

Amen...hate f'in amateur travelers who hold up everything.

That is the worst.

Still, the only reason, to me, to worry about when you get to your seat is the "overhead compartment." The downside is that you sit while the rest of the plane loads. I like aisle seats so getting there early also gets me bashed umpteen times by people who can't get their luggage through the plane without smacking everyone as they go by or because their hips are so wide.

This entire conversation, because we all leave/arrive at the same time, boils down to "I'm better than you so I'm boarding first."

Look @ it this way... Health care following the modern amusement park model too?

In the old days you pay as you went. Got in the park free and bought the ticket you wanted for the ride. Not much "wow factor" because the park didn't pool all the money together to upgrade the tech, rides, etc... keep lines @ maximum capacity. Now with all that money, the game has changed and a lot of fancy stuff, coasters, etc... can be bought.

I used to feel the same way... That everybody should be standing in line equally, but look @ what we have. I just went to Cedar Point last week and the type of coasters are amazing... So much better than the pay as you go piece of crap "Comet" we would ride as a child @ Crystal Beach. Of course last weekend we spent the extra 95 bucks each and got the "Fast Lane." So much better and better bang for your buck AND they get to pool that money together and reinvest it into better rides for the park. They only sell so many "Fast Lanes" or things wouldn't work if everybody bought them.

Time is money... Am I gonna spend the 45 bucks and stand in line all day for 2 rides...?? Or spend the extra 95 and ride all day while that money is helping the park to grow and give better rides to the ones who chose to not spend extra but still get the thrill of enjoying a few of the fancy rides. @ least everybody is getting some kind of service.

Should health care be run like that? Or go back to the days of ticket and ride what crappy ride you want. Again, I once believed in that form of equality... But the new way is better, more progressive.

With airlines.. I am already vetted... Everything is already on my DoD CaC, fingerprints, the whole ball of wax on that smart chip and linked to TSA (another gov't agency, just like the one I work for)... Why wouldn't some breeze ahead. They can find me in two seconds, and all that and who is affiliated w/me?

Peace. SOME equality isn't really equality, I understand that now.

I do know the difference because I've used both. But the basic premise is the same, pay extra, skip to the faster line.

Yes. But then they still should have vetted you and put you into a centralized database w/ a whole bunch of extra information than the standard Snowbird.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You're damn right. My Priority status on Virgin America has been a godsend these past several weeks. :thumbsup:

TSA is funded by the airlines so makes sense the airlines can prioritize security just as they prioritize boarding and seating.

TSA is funded by the PASSENGERS via ticket tax/surcharge, and by the taxpayers, but not the airlines.

I never said I wasn't.

Of course! I didn't mean to imply that you weren't. Sorry Jack.

Like I said... I used to have heartburn with these concepts until I finally decided to critically think it about it.

Really... Everybody should just buy out the amusement park fast passes, buy all the TSA Pre-check stuff, etc... Then lets see what happesn whenthe systems are maxed out the other way. They will be flush with cash and HAVE to give dynamite service(s), right? :pirate:

KD, you need to check this out.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/06/24/deal-year-jetblue-will-match-miles-account/

Is the money that people pay extra being poured into better funding security... ?? Then they should get priority. On the river, industry pays into the Inland Trust Fund (now $.29 a gallon on fuel they use)... That money goes into improving the system for all. They should get priority, it is their fuel they are burning if they are waiting around. Same with everything else.

How much is your time worth? Divide the cost @ an amusement park by the number of rides one gets on during the set time period. Why is this bad?

I arrived in an airport where TSA had closed the pre-check line because there weren't enough people there. (even though it was still 50people long). Imagine how angry the people who paid extra were about that change...

Also, you can't believe how many people will let someone cut who just mentions that they're late for their flight. It's like a magic phrase. I even saw a guy do it to get (behind me) on the Panda Express line.

Wow, I might need to rebook my late July flight. Right now I'm going out to BOS on Virgin and back on Jet Blue.

About to board in SF....got upgraded. :)

KD... I still picture you a CT Yankee in King Arthur's Court... I must have missed your move to CA. What brings you to the Land of Fruity Tooties? Providence? It is almost heavenly isn't it? Well that is what they want everybody to think. :D:D

I arrived in an airport where TSA had closed the pre-check line because there weren't enough people there. (even though it was still 50people long). Imagine how angry the people who paid extra were about that change...

Also, you can't believe how many people will let someone cut who just mentions that they're late for their flight. It's like a magic phrase. I even saw a guy do it to get (behind me) on the Panda Express line.

I have no sympathy for lack of planning... I am always way early to the airport. Hours early. I see idiots all the time just doing things right to the razor's edge... At work... Then bam, they get stuck behind petrol chem shipping for two hours and all hell breaks loose.

Many seem to believe that the world revolves around said individual. I work different hours now, you be amazed how many people just blow red lights. Well, maybe you won't. People are getting crazier and crazier!

KD... I still picture you a CT Yankee in King Arthur's Court... I must have missed your move to CA. What brings you to the Land of Fruity Tooties? Providence? It is almost heavenly isn't it? Well that is what they want everybody to think. :D:D

I'm still a Yankee at heart (for now) but have to admit, there's a certain zen commuting to work on a ferry rather than a Metro-North train -- among many other differences. Came out for the J.O.B. and to hopefully give our girls a little broader experience than that of our native Puritan lands.

LoL... I remember the one movie we went to that we were the only ones in the theater... Henry James' "Portrait of a Lady." :lol::lol: My newly acquired Bride (and now oldly acquired Bride :D ) took me to see it. I was young and stupid (vs. now old and stupid)... Well... Let's just say this: I come out of Jane Campion flicks more tormented than the people in the stories. Is it the cinematography or was it the James period piece or sitting alone in the theater? I am still scarred for life.

I'm still a Yankee at heart (for now) but have to admit, there's a certain zen commuting to work on a ferry rather than a Metro-North train -- among many other differences. Came out for the J.O.B. and to hopefully give our girls a little broader experience than that of our native Puritan lands.

I now picture you jumping into a Karmann Gia and barely making the boat ride... Getting an electric shave:

Oh... and keep your eyes to yourself... You are married and have kids! :nana::nana:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The thing that annoys me most about airlines is they still don't use the data they possess to make sure people's experience is as good as it can be. Case in point:

Arrived in airport 2 over an hour late because we left airport 1 almost 90 minutes late. Connection to airport 3 was as far away as physically possible. Because it was an international flight, we had to go through customs before we could make our way to gate for second flight. Arrived at second gate 6 minutes after flight was closed. Gate attendant had the audacity to ask us "what took you so long to get here?"

Then had to go out into the terminal and find out what we'd been rebooked on (which means back through security AGAIN). Found out it wasn't the NEXT flight out, which was about 90 minutes later. Instead, it was SIX hours later on a different airline. Went to original airline - no one around. Went to new airline. Found out there were 3 seats on earlier flight (with original carrier) but weren't able to get the 2 we needed. Second airline tried to get original airline to change the tickets but supervisor from original airline wanted us to pay $800 for EACH ticket to make the change.

All because they don't have the ability to tell who is landing on their own planes, get you to your destination on time (they could have flown at a higher airspeed and made up the difference), and/or work out the logistics to make sure their customer gets to their connection. To top it off, they're not dynamic enough to realize their own mistakes and work with the customer to make sure they have the least damage to their own reputation.

!@#$ you, United. I've flown your garbage airline for the last time.

The thing that annoys me most about airlines is they still don't use the data they possess to make sure people's experience is as good as it can be. Case in point:

Arrived in airport 2 over an hour late because we left airport 1 almost 90 minutes late. Connection to airport 3 was as far away as physically possible. Because it was an international flight, we had to go through customs before we could make our way to gate for second flight. Arrived at second gate 6 minutes after flight was closed. Gate attendant had the audacity to ask us "what took you so long to get here?"

Then had to go out into the terminal and find out what we'd been rebooked on (which means back through security AGAIN). Found out it wasn't the NEXT flight out, which was about 90 minutes later. Instead, it was SIX hours later on a different airline. Went to original airline - no one around. Went to new airline. Found out there were 3 seats on earlier flight (with original carrier) but weren't able to get the 2 we needed. Second airline tried to get original airline to change the tickets but supervisor from original airline wanted us to pay $800 for EACH ticket to make the change.

All because they don't have the ability to tell who is landing on their own planes, get you to your destination on time (they could have flown at a higher airspeed and made up the difference), and/or work out the logistics to make sure their customer gets to their connection. To top it off, they're not dynamic enough to realize their own mistakes and work with the customer to make sure they have the least damage to their own reputation.

/Devil's_Advo_Here

That sucks... But do you expect people/systems to go out of their way and work a little harder for the next chump? Especially in our societal climate.. You are a bigger dreamer than me if you do?

Reputation? :lol::lol: It isn't like they freaking own the company. You think anybody gives a crap?

Oh... Could they have squeezed 800 bucks out of you? I bet they do many.

Sorry for being so jaded and living in the real world (for once in my life).

Here is a good quote:

"Sometimes the givers have to set limits because the takers seldom do."

You Guys met the obscene and stupid limit. Sorry about that.

But... Besides all that. You are totally right. Why can't the systems work a little harder for you, make it easier!!

You aren't supposing that they give a rat's gugny about customer service are you?

I fly a lot for work, pretty much all on Delta. And I can say, whenever someone talks to me about a bad flight/airline experience they've had and I ask which airline, everyone says United.

I do remember one flight where we waited at the gate after boarding because they knew there were people coming from another flight to get on ours.

I remember this (approximate) quote from an airlines executive. When chastised about why service on his airline was so poor he responded "The last time you booked a flight did you chose your carrier based on service or price? When people start booking based on service we'll start focusing on service."

I remember this (approximate) quote from an airlines executive. When chastised about why service on his airline was so poor he responded "The last time you booked a flight did you chose your carrier based on service or price? When people start booking based on service we'll start focusing on service."

I can't fault him. Use some other airline until you find the one that matches what you tolerate.

Of all people who should be posting this, me?

http://positivelystacey.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2634097_orig.jpg

Airlines have been having problems with passengers missing flights because security checkpoints are taking too long. The government sent out a memo telling TSA that they need to cut down on the amount of time people wait in line.

******my experience******

After getting my ticket, I stumbled across a large mob of people standing in front of the escalators up to the Departures floor. Security guards weren't allowing people up. A few minutes later, the guards let about twenty people go up the escalator, then stopped, like bouncers at a night club. I was confused.

After talking to some people around me, it turns out that in order to make the lines through security shorter, they weren't letting people up until they had room in line. When it was finally my turn, getting through security took less than five minutes since the lines up there were no more than a few people deep.

The serpentine lines of people up top were gone (a large space), but replaced by a large impatient mob at the bottom. (at a choke point)

That was the solution TSA came up with to shorten people's time through their checkpoints; stop people before they get there... because technically, the timer doesn't start until you are in their area. This was at LAX international.

Edited by unbillievable

This is nail on head! I am 53, took my first flight at 24. Flying in the 70's was only for rich people. Now it is mass transit, which i think is awesome. Capitalism at its finest.

And maybe the two alike, just look at yesterday.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/8-children-2-adults-hurt-scottish-roller-coaster-derailment-n599231

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/27/asia/singapore-airlines-engine-fire/

I fly a lot for work, pretty much all on Delta. And I can say, whenever someone talks to me about a bad flight/airline experience they've had and I ask which airline, everyone says United.

I do remember one flight where we waited at the gate after boarding because they knew there were people coming from another flight to get on ours.

I tend to fly United a lot because they have most of the flights out of my local (very small) airport. I've never had any issues with them that I haven't had on other airlines. Though I pretty much always expect it given all of the bad feedback I hear about them. So far I guess I've been lucky.

Yep. A customer oriented airline that charged for the service wouldn't even get off the ground (pun intended) in the U.S.

I tend to fly United a lot because they have most of the flights out of my local (very small) airport. I've never had any issues with them that I haven't had on other airlines. Though I pretty much always expect it given all of the bad feedback I hear about them. So far I guess I've been lucky.

Yep. A customer oriented airline that charged for the service wouldn't even get off the ground (pun intended) in the U.S.

So instead almost all airlines cater to the small % who do prioritize service over price by offering first class and priority status for security & boarding.

I flew 1st class United because I wanted to be able to get some sleep on an overseas flight. Turns out their chairs barely recline, and the service sucked. I might as well have been in economy. The only real difference was a wider seat.

I tried to get my money back and they said they never guaranteed a "bed" like other Airlines. Never again.

I also noticed that a domestic Asian flight was able to do FOOD service in 45mins, but the same 1hr 30min flight time in the US announced they didn't have time to do even drinks because they weren't at altitude long enough.

So instead almost all airlines cater to the small % who do prioritize service over price by offering first class and priority status for security & boarding.

Airline "status" may help you in boarding but not with security. TSA is the show the government puts on to make you think you are safe.

All most passengers want is a cheap ticket. Service dose not sell very well, so therefore, despite what the airlines may say, it's not a serious goal for them.

For those with connection problems, always carry a smart phone of tablet to give you access to your reservation record. You can easily see if the airline has made any "protection" changes due to a mis-connect but also you can make whatever changes you may see as necessary. Always make changes working with your original reservation record, and you should be OK. Most airlines will accommodate changes caused by "irregular operations" without any change fee.