Blake Annen

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a typical Upper Arlington pretty boy to me. (That's for Yolo and the Cbus/Ohio guys.)

Seriously though, the Cincy Bearcats have a decent program these days and this is his 5th pro team since coming out in 2014. I'm not sure how much he can be expected improve at this point. Seems like a longshot to make the team.

Wow.. You know your in the dog-days when the hottest topic is an undrafted, PS, TE that nobody's ever heard of... :rolleyes:

That said, I have a sincere question... Has this team completely given up on Nick O'leary??? I mean WTF... This kid was a bona-fide STAR at FSU... I've got to think that a legit OC would have a place for that somewhere... Disappointing.

Wow.. You know your in the dog-days when the hottest topic is an undrafted, PS, TE that nobody's ever heard of... :rolleyes:

That said, I have a sincere question... Has this team completely given up on Nick O'leary??? I mean WTF... This kid was a bona-fide STAR at FSU... I've got to think that a legit OC would have a place for that somewhere... Disappointing.

What he did in college stopped mattering the day after the draft. The truth is that he's a really average athlete with good hands. It really limits him that he's unable to get open vs NFL speed and most targets are schemed wide open or contested. I think he has a RZ skill set that we could use but his blocking has to get better to see looks at TE.

I adored him at FSU and he's an easy guy to root for. I got a little sour on him because Bills fans pre-draft kept telling me he was the next superstar TE. I just think he'll get overlooked because teams will always be more intrigued by athletes and the idea that you can't teach speed.

Seems like a typical Upper Arlington pretty boy to me. (That's for Yolo and the Cbus/Ohio guys.)

Seriously though, the Cincy Bearcats have a decent program these days and this is his 5th pro team since coming out in 2014. I'm not sure how much he can be expected improve at this point. Seems like a longshot to make the team.

In one of those vids it says he's replacing Travis Kelce, lets hope he learned a couple of things from him.

The best thing for O'Leary to do is hulk out and become a monster to make up for his lack of athleticism.

He's always going to be struggling with his length but he has the mentality to become a pain in the arse as a blocker. 2nd half of the Notre Dame game, his senior year. Stayed in as a 6th OL on a lot of snaps and was probably their best blocker.

I think Dray has the #2 role locked up (should be a good mentor for O'Leary too). I wouldn't be opposed to Nick spending another year on the PS.

He's always going to be struggling with his length but he has the mentality to become a pain in the arse as a blocker. 2nd half of the Notre Dame game, his senior year. Stayed in as a 6th OL on a lot of snaps and was probably their best blocker.

I think Dray has the #2 role locked up (should be a good mentor for O'Leary too). I wouldn't be opposed to Nick spending another year on the PS.

agreed

This is close to my thinking also

agreed

This is close to my thinking also

Any chance he pushes Dray for his position as blocker TE? He looked like a great blocker in the videos I saw (lined up as a HB/FB half the time and sprung a couple of big runs). Gragg would be our athletic TE.

It seems to be the case so far, we will see when they practice in pads.

Without Clay throughout team drills, the Bills trotted Annen out with the first unit, along with Chris Gragg, when two tight ends were needed on a given play. That’s an interesting development, seeing as how Jim Dray was thought to be on solid ground of making the roster when they first signed him.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-day-3-of-2016-bills-minicamp

• 4 weeks later...

Without Clay throughout team drills, the Bills trotted Annen out with the first unit, along with Chris Gragg, when two tight ends were needed on a given play. Thats an interesting development, seeing as how Jim Dray was thought to be on solid ground of making the roster when they first signed him.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-day-3-of-2016-bills-minicamp

That is scary. Quality TEs are tough to find and I was really hoping the Bills would find a decent (or better) one in the draft. Clay is pretty much it right now. We need one of the other TEs to step up as at least a good blocking TE.

Edited by BarleyNY

Any chance he pushes Dray for his position as blocker TE? He looked like a great blocker in the videos I saw (lined up as a HB/FB half the time and sprung a couple of big runs). Gragg would be our athletic TE.

I haven't seen Gragg bring it during his time here.........I can't get it out of my head him catching the ball from EJ standing 3 yards out of bounds against Jacksonville, and then laughing about it. And, for a receiver TE, he sure drops a lot of balls. imho, Gragg is a junior varisty TE.

I haven't seen Gragg bring it during his time here.........I can't get it out of my head him catching the ball from EJ standing 3 yards out of bounds against Jacksonville, and then laughing about it. And, for a receiver TE, he sure drops a lot of balls. imho, Gragg is a junior varisty TE.

I agree. I don't see Gragg making it. Annen has better size and speed anyway.

You were expecting stardom from a 6th round TE and can't understand why an undrafted player might be better - worth talking about over him?