Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Is Vesey's Father really a scout for Toronto? Yeesh!!

And his brother Nolan is a Leafs draft pick as well.

Sick hands.

Can't wait for the Nylander vs Nylander battles over the next bunch of years. These guys are both pretty special players!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

k, you guys going to make me go over to SabreSpace and enter that fray...really looking for some answers here.

Is there a reason the Sabres would not let him negotiate with everyone now? I know he can only sign with the Sabres before August 15, but seems to me dragging it out does no one any good.

If he is going to sign in Chicago lets say, he is going to sign in Chicago. If we know that July 20th, maybe Chicago will trade us a pick to get his rights so he can sign before he changes his mind. And then GMTM knows where his roster stands, and what moves he still wants to make.

Am i missing something here?

The issue is simply that Vesey has his own timetable and he is sticking with it. It doesn't matter if the Sabres allow him to talk to other teams for the sake of accelerating the decision-making because he is using the CBA terms to make a decision on his terms and timetable. His stance is that he declined signing a contract with the Predators (the team that drafted him and owned his rights) and stayed in school for the expressed purpose of being a free agent and developing as a player.

The Sabres gave up a draft pick to acquire his rights. In reality it doesn't matter. Vesey is doing what he wants to do and planned to do. And that is exactly what he is doing.

Edited by JohnC

Many many people that grow up in that area of the country are giant A-holes. Eichel clearly seems to be the exception despite the illegal drinking issues. This Vesey kid seems to be the rule. The NHL already owes him for bestowing his Bostonian greatness on us all? The friggin salaries are slotted. He's such an expert that he knows what teams will be better over the course of his career? He could be a really good player but he was already a locker room disruption for Nashville and he is turning into the same for Buffalo. And this is going to stop after he signs somewhere? i doubt it. Typical M@$$hole. Pass.

I have nothing against TM for taking a shot with the draft pick trade. It was worth a flyer. He got to talk to the kid and I'm sure he realizes by now that he burned a pick. No biggie.

I would guess around 90% of students had "illegal drinking issues" in college...

Edited by ricojes

The issue is simply that Vesey has his own timetable and he is sticking with it. It doesn't matter if the Sabres allow him to talk to other teams for the sake of accelerating the decision-making because he is using the CBA terms to make a decision on his terms and timetable. His stance is that he declined signing a contract with the Predators (the team that drafted him and owned his rights) and stayed in school for the expressed purpose of being a free agent and developing as a player.

The Sabres gave up a draft pick to acquire his rights. In reality it doesn't matter. Vesey is doing what he wants to do and planned to do. And that is exactly what he is doing.

I have no clue what this means...if you give him the right to speak with other teams now, all teams, he is doing it on his terms and timetable. He would get exactly what he wants, the ability to speak with all teams and be a true UFA.

And once he made a decision to sign, whether that be with the Sabres or another team...the winning club will want that deal signed ASAP and trade a pick for the right to sign him before 08/15 .

Now, if he was an UFA and not bound by an ELC and the few bonusues available, i can see not letting him negotiate with other teams.. But thats just not the case...every offer is going to be pretty much the same damn offer. This only drags the process out, gets people in Buffalo pissed at him, and leaves the Sabres in limbo whether we get this kid or not.

I just don't see what waiting to 08/15 buys the Sabres

We don't gain anything by letting him talk to other teams, either. We're not getting a pick for him.

Look, he's a very, very smart kid. Does anyone honestly think he's just winging it, and will have this sudden revelation on Aug 15? This guy has known where he wants to play all along. If it was here, he'd be signed. This whole act of "we are committed to seeing this process through and waiting until the 15th" is called lip service.

I have no clue what this means...if you give him the right to speak with other teams now, all teams, he is doing it on his terms and timetable. He would get exactly what he wants, the ability to speak with all teams and be a true UFA.

And once he made a decision to sign, whether that be with the Sabres or another team...the winning club will want that deal signed ASAP and trade a pick for the right to sign him before 08/15 .

Now, if he was an UFA and not bound by an ELC and the few bonusues available, i can see not letting him negotiate with other teams.. But thats just not the case...every offer is going to be pretty much the same damn offer. This only drags the process out, gets people in Buffalo pissed at him, and leaves the Sabres in limbo whether we get this kid or not.

I don't understand why my comments are so perplexing. Vesey has made it clear that he is going to make a decision on his timetable. He is not going to make a decision until after 08/15. Whether the Sabres have the authority to allow him talk to other teams (not sure if they do or not according to the CBA) he has clearly stated that he will make a decision when he is ready to make a decision.

Why would a team trade a pick for Vesey to sign prior to 08/15 when Vesey has stated that he won't sign a deal until shortly after that date? I don't understand why people are so frantic over this issue. The August date is fast approaching so let the clock run out and let him make his decision.

It's understood the money for the most part is the same no matter who he signs with. But he is also considering what city to live, what players he will be playing with and the team's prospects for a Cup.

Vesey has stated that he sacrificed money in the short term to put himself in a free agent status. So now he is exercising his rights as a free agent. Whether anyone likes it or not this Harvard grad is driving the bus. He is the one who is going to select his destination when he is good and ready.

I don't understand why my comments are so perplexing. Vesey has made it clear that he is going to make a decision on his timetable. He is not going to make a decision until after 08/15. Whether the Sabres have the authority to allow him talk to other teams (not sure if they do or not according to the CBA) he has clearly stated that he will make a decision when he is ready to make a decision.

I believe the 08/15 date is driven by the fact that that is when he can become a free agent and speak/negotiate with all clubs.If that date was 07/12, i think he would make a decision earlier. Sabres should grant him that right, but I as well have no idea what is allowed by the CBA.

My contention is if the Sabres did that, and he did decide where he wanted to go...the winning team would deal something to the Sabres to complete the deal pre 08/15. After all, this guy has a bit of history of reneging on a verbal.

Guess my sales and negotiations background comes in here...i just see zero advantage to the Sabres not granting him this ability unless prohibited by CBA

Many many people that grow up in that area of the country are giant A-holes. Eichel clearly seems to be the exception despite the illegal drinking issues. This Vesey kid seems to be the rule. The NHL already owes him for bestowing his Bostonian greatness on us all? The friggin salaries are slotted. He's such an expert that he knows what teams will be better over the course of his career? He could be a really good player but he was already a locker room disruption for Nashville and he is turning into the same for Buffalo. And this is going to stop after he signs somewhere? i doubt it. Typical M@$$hole. Pass.

I have nothing against TM for taking a shot with the draft pick trade. It was worth a flyer. He got to talk to the kid and I'm sure he realizes by now that he burned a pick. No biggie.

I wonder if GMTM called him a M@$$hole before he stormed out of the room?

Man, i know these guys only 18...but damn they keep looking younger and younger as i get older and older!

That's what I was thinking during the draft and seeing these pictures since then!

I believe the 08/15 date is driven by the fact that that is when he can become a free agent and speak/negotiate with all clubs.If that date was 07/12, i think he would make a decision earlier. Sabres should grant him that right, but I as well have no idea what is allowed by the CBA.

My contention is if the Sabres did that, and he did decide where he wanted to go...the winning team would deal something to the Sabres to complete the deal pre 08/15. After all, this guy has a bit of history of reneging on a verbal.

Guess my sales and negotiations background comes in here...i just see zero advantage to the Sabres not granting him this ability unless prohibited by CBA

No NHL team with a shot at signing the guy is going to give up anything at this point. Murray took a calculated gamble when he did because he had many assets at his disposal. Nashville KNEW they weren't going to sign him so they cut bait and took what they could get.

No NHL team with a shot at signing the guy is going to give up anything at this point. Murray took a calculated gamble when he did because he had many assets at his disposal. Nashville KNEW they weren't going to sign him so they cut bait and took what they could get.

Just to play devils advocate and no sports at all this week :thumbdown::lol:.. lets say that the Sabres know they will not get any compensation back....why not let him shop offers now? Get his word you will let him negotiate now, but you need his answer in 7 days time. Then the organisation knows what assets they have and what they now have that is tradeable no?

Could be CBA reasons, not sure on that.

Just to play devils advocate and no sports at all this week :thumbdown::lol:.. lets say that the Sabres know they will not get any compensation back....why not let him shop offers now? Get his word you will let him negotiate now, but you need his answer in 7 days time. Then the organisation knows what assets they have and what they now have that is tradeable no?

Could be CBA reasons, not sure on that.

Don't get bogged down on the Vesey issue. In the not too distant future it wil play itself out. If he signs with someone else the Sabres have plenty of reasonable options at wing such as Ennis or a trade option for a player like Rick Nash.

Just to perk you up I have attached a link of Nylander in a puck handling drill. In a year or two he is going to be a gem.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/07/11/nylander-putting-on-a-skills-clinic-with-sabres/

Look, he's a very, very smart kid. Does anyone honestly think he's just winging it, and will have this sudden revelation on Aug 15? This guy has known where he wants to play all along. If it was here, he'd be signed. This whole act of "we are committed to seeing this process through and waiting until the 15th" is called lip service.

I think that is probably correct and it is either Boston where he can say amongst his fellow M@$$holes or tampering Toronto where he can be fooled into thinking he won't be doomed to a career filled with failure until he inevitably leaves as soon as he has freedom again. Either way seems like a less than desirable personality/attitude to have n the Sabres locker room.

I think that is probably correct and it is either Boston where he can say amongst his fellow M@$$holes or tampering Toronto where he can be fooled into thinking he won't be doomed to a career filled with failure until he inevitably leaves as soon as he has freedom again. Either way seems like a less than desirable personality/attitude to have n the Sabres locker room.

Sour grapes already?