The Cavs-Bills comparisons have begun

It's a gauge of what people that don't know anything about Buffalo think of Buffalo. And now we are the bottom of the barrel. I have a lot of pride in my city so yes I care what others think. If you live in Buffalo and never leave buffalo then I guess you won't care. I have homes elsewhere and I dislike the negative reactions I receive when I tell people I'm from Buffalo.

Where are your friends coming from? Rochester? :-)

My friends in NYC, Chicago, and LA, etc think Buffalo is a joke and yea I guess I take it personally

Maybe if you didn't act like it bugs you they would lay off?

Patrick Kane and Rob Gronkowski don't love Buffalo like LeBron loves Cleveland. Kane didnt have to sign in Chicago.

Why would you expect Pat Kane to leave a cup contender to play for a team that was tanking? Same for Gronk.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a 47 year old native Clevelander who moved to Buffalo 4 years ago. Cleveland teams will always come first. The Sabres are my only hockey team. The Indians are my only baseball team and the Cavs are my only basketball team. I absolutely love football and I'll root hard for the Bills unless they're playing the Browns (except for any Browns-are-out-of-it-Bills-are-still-in-it scenarios). The wife is a Steelers fan (tough times, these last 19 years), my daughter is a nomadic fan that follows her favorite player (Peyton Manning and now Zeke Elliott) and my son has taken my path. The Bills are the NFL team we can all root for as a family. (We all root for Ohio State too.)

I wanted so much to see Cleveland gets a championship in my life. I'd love to see Buffalo get one, too. The pain of being so close so many times wears on you, as you are all aware. There is no comeback for ridicule that you have to endure. The expectation that something will go wrong, that someone will choke is always there. You do things like blame Jose Mesa for choking in the bottom of the 9th in game 7, but you also realize that the pressure must've been beyond belief. What Lebron just did cannot be overstated. Lebron's block, Kyrie's pressure shot and Love's defense were the plays Cleveland hadn't made in 52 years. Coming back from being down 3-1 in the finals, something no NBA team has ever done, against the team with the best regular season record ever and having to take 2 of those 3 on GS's home court (where they only lost 2 in the regular season and 1 previously in the playoffs) was unbelievable. Historic.

I expected to lose it and break down in tears and have it be done with, but that didn't happen. I cried a little bit when it happened and a little bit several times since, when something about it strikes me. The emotions are coming out a little bit at a time. There was a moment of disbelief when it happened. The scenario almost seems manufactured. Lebron's return. The circumstances around it. Lebron's "This is for you, Cleveland!" That's what you dream about, but you don't get to experience it in real life. You give Brian Sipe a standing ovation when he enters a restaurant for the first time after Red Right 88, to show him you appreciate and know that he gave it his all. You wonder if that's how you show appreciation for the people that brought you the hardware, a championship. That even feels odd to type. "Hardware" seems a lot more approachable a word than "championship". Then you realize that these people had the same admirable qualities. They were just rewarded for them this time. And so were we.

I could make a joke about how it feels. Something like "It's like having truly great sex for the first time. You bask in it for a little while, then you want it again." But that's not quite right (or quite wrong). It's all I could've imagined to say at such a time last week though. No, my biggest takeaway is that winning now seems possible. The next time a Cleveland team is in the playoffs the mentality will be that of "We can do it!", not "What'll go wrong this time?" The "loser" label is shed along with all of the internalized mental issues that go along with it. I sincerely hope that Buffalo fans take what the Cavaliers did to heart. Watching Cleveland win a championship should tell Buffalo fans that it is possible here too.

Congrats to you. Hope you get to see more of your favorite teams win championships (especially the Bills!).

This is why I absolutely hate Cleveland... everyone always try to lump them with the Bills and Buffalo area.

Why does that bother you?

Congrats to you. Hope you get to see more of your favorite teams win championships (especially the Bills!).

Thanks! Me, too!

Maybe if you didn't act like it bugs you they would lay off?

Why would you expect Pat Kane to leave a cup contender to play for a team that was tanking? Same for Gronk.

i am pretty sure that Kane's agent knows it would be a bad move for him, off the ice, to play in buffalo

i am pretty sure that Kane's agent knows it would be a bad move for him, off the ice, to play in buffalo

Good point.

NOGCKzR.jpg

Derp.

So you don't care being lumped in with a piece of crap team like the Browns? Or a place like Cleveland?

Don't forget Detroit. We make up the Axis of Suck.

So you don't care being lumped in with a piece of crap team like the Browns? Or a place like Cleveland?

Having lived in both, I can't see how you can think Cleveland is terrible but like Buffalo. B-lo is largely just a smaller version of C-town. The are differences, but they aren't that big. As for the Bills, of late they haven't exactly been a great team - or that much better than the Browns for that matter. Over the last 15 years the Bills have exactly 15 more wins than the Browns - and one less playoff appearance. Having an average of one more win a year is better to be sure, but it doesn't exactly separate the Bills from the Browns by a lot.

Having lived in both, I can't see how you can think Cleveland is terrible but like Buffalo. B-lo is largely just a smaller version of C-town. The are differences, but they aren't that big. As for the Bills, of late they haven't exactly been a great team - or that much better than the Browns for that matter. Over the last 15 years the Bills have exactly 15 more wins than the Browns - and one less playoff appearance. Having an average of one more win a year is better to be sure, but it doesn't exactly separate the Bills from the Browns by a lot.

Nothing is worse then a Brown, I hope they never have success not only b.c they are in the AFC but b.c I hate everything about them. Haslam the owner is a dirtbag and I hope he keeps making decisions that hurt the team.

Nothing is worse then a Brown, I hope they never have success not only b.c they are in the AFC but b.c I hate everything about them. Haslam the owner is a dirtbag and I hope he keeps making decisions that hurt the team.

Everything you've got is very weak, except for the Haslam bit. He is a scumbag and a crook. Just not sure how you throw the team, the fans and the whole city under the bus with him.

Everything you've got is very weak, except for the Haslam bit. He is a scumbag and a crook. Just not sure how you throw the team, the fans and the whole city under the bus with him.

I always route for the Browns except when they are playing the Bills. I figure the Browns are the one organization that is probably a bigger joke than us in the league. Hopefully the Bills fortunes will change now that money bags T Pegs is running the show.

I've lived in Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and now Cleveland for over 15 years. People are pretty much the same in all 3 towns, so you've got your jerks well distributed and you run into them everywhere including here. Not worth arguing with a made up mind.

Great thing the championship, congrats to you! After game 4 Cavs found what no Bills/Sabres team had: mental strength. Doing the little things is what carried them, plus LeBron was way more mature than Curry and the rest. So I felt good about the Cavs chances game 7 and was not disappointed.

Not so sure C-town is going to expect victory if the Indians face adversity in the world series this year though. Old habits die hard! ;-) But wouldn't a 2016 series title be otherworldly?

Do you think people in Cleveland say the same about the Bills and Buffalo?

Living in Cleveland and Columbus for most of my life (I'm 47) there was never any animosity for Buffalo or the Bills. Clevelanders pretty much saw Buffalo as another town going through the same Rust Belt stuff they were dealing with. Buffalo was a little smaller of a city, got even more snow and had a bit worse weather in general, but was pretty much seen as a kindred spirit. That held true with sports teams. Buffalo was really the only city that suffered close to what Cleveland dealt with. No NBA in Buffalo, no NHL in Cleveland and the Bisons were the Indians AAA team for a long time. The Bills and Browns didn't really ever have a rivalry. I can't ever remember them crossing paths in big games. It always seemed like when one was good the other wasn't. The only exception is over the last few years when the two teams have had some tough games. I've seen the fans on both sides get chippy. The game where both Hoyer and Manuel were injured was a big part of that.