ESPN: Ryans planning to take control.

Is it just me or are these two guys pinning the blowhard gauge? The SI interview was a hot mess. I know you have to exude confidence as your team takes on your personality but dude shut your pieholes X 2 and win something

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retaining Schwartz as DC and adding a strong offensive mind as HC would have been the way to go. Jackson and Gase definitely would have been on that list. But not Pederson - that guy's a trainwreck.

Chances are very good that Schwartz would have been very resentful of that after the season his defense put up and his experience as a HC.

Chances are very good that Schwartz would have been very resentful of that after the season his defense put up and his experience as a HC.

It was reported that Schwartz wanted the head coaching job or nothing. He wasn't going to serve under Rex,especially since their two philosophies are 180 degrees apart.

It's constantly stated that Taylor signed with the Bills because he had a relationship with Rex. That is not true. TT on more than a few occasions stated that he signed with the Bills because he believe that it gave him the best chance to start. The Broncos offered TT more money than the Bills did. In addition, Taylor had a closer relationship and more recent relationship with Kubiak (either the OC or qb coach) in Baltimore. The reality is that TT wanted a legitimate chance to compete for a starting job;

signing with Buffalo, even for less money, afforded him that opportunity.

It is true that Rex signed Roman to be his OC. But the storyline that Rex was the reason for TT's arrival is patently false.

This is true. If Rex had it his way in New Jersey, Tyrod would've been the starting QB of the Jets, NOT Geno. Tyrod coming to the Bills was all Rex.

if Schwartz was hired we wouldn't have had to rebuild the defense and we could have drafted mostly offense. I'm not a fan of constantly rebuilding but hiring Rex is exactly what we did and now we are doing it again instead building on the continuity that we had.

That said we have Rex now and hopefully we get this ship turned around.

I was referring to someone that said, if we kept Schwartz as DC and hired an offensive minded coach as our HC...

I have no idea what you're talking about

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

especially since their two philosophies are 180 degrees apart.

This to me is the material discussion topic for the 2015 buffalo bills defense.

I really want to know if everyone came into the year actually thinking Rex + 2014roster = even better defense or if inside they all quietly understood there was a mismatch that would lead performance in the opposite direction and that a roster remake was needed and inevitable.

This is irrespective of all the Williams's issues frequently cited. The draft, and free agency are clear evidence the conclusion was reached, but I'd really love to know if they knew it going in to that season, or just figured it out with the rest of us.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

It was reported that Schwartz wanted the head coaching job or nothing. He wasn't going to serve under Rex,especially since their two philosophies are 180 degrees apart.

That was never going to work. Most human beings are remarkably human. They are motivated by the same things. Schwartz was very motivated to be the best coach he could possibly be following his firing. And he had the perfect tools to work with. He thought he deserved the Bills head coaching job and he would have been pissed if it went to a guy like Gase or Jackson or Roman. We don't know how it would have affected his coaching or relationship with the HC especially if he was a guy who liked to stick his hands in all the pies of the team. Chances were very good that Schwartz's defense in 2015 would not have been as good as it was in 2014, and guaranteed to be not as good if it had the same injuries Rex's did. Then his HC chances may have decreased.

The point is, hiring an OC as HC above Schwartz may not have and IMO would not have given us the best of both worlds a lot of fans think it would have.

This to me is the material discussion topic for the 2015 buffalo bills defense.

I really want to know if everyone came into the year actually thinking Rex + 2014roster = even better defense or if inside they all quietly understood there was a mismatch that would lead performance in the opposite direction and that a roster remake was needed and inevitable.

This is irrespective of all the Williams's issues frequently cited. The draft, and free agency are clear evidence the conclusion was reached, but I'd really love to know if they knew it going in to that season, or just figured it out with the rest of us.

not to speak for all but I'd bet most people had no idea of the actual issues of mismatch. Then had faith in Rex that he wouldn't change a thing. Then had faith that he could run a hybrid.

They didn't understand enough d x's and o's to see the forecast for trouble. It was not easy to see. I bought in for a brief moment

That was never going to work. Most human beings are remarkably human. They are motivated by the same things. Schwartz was very motivated to be the best coach he could possibly be following his firing. And he had the perfect tools to work with. He thought he deserved the Bills head coaching job and he would have been pissed if it went to a guy like Gase or Jackson or Roman. We don't know how it would have affected his coaching or relationship with the HC especially if he was a guy who liked to stick his hands in all the pies of the team. Chances were very good that Schwartz's defense in 2015 would not have been as good as it was in 2014, and guaranteed to be not as good if it had the same injuries Rex's did. Then his HC chances may have decreased.

The point is, hiring an OC as HC above Schwartz may not have and IMO would not have given us the best of both worlds a lot of fans think it would have.

do you think we would have been better with that possibility then we were - or would have been assumingly - with Rex?

not to speak for all but I'd bet most people had no idea of the actual issues of mismatch. Then had faith in Rex that he wouldn't change a thing. Then had faith that he could run a hybrid.

They didn't understand enough d x's and o's to see the forecast for trouble. It was not easy to see. I bought in for a brief moment

do you think we would have been better with that possibility then we were - or would have been assumingly - with Rex?

Don't know. It wouldn't have played out the way it did. Chances are it wouldn't have been Roman. No Clay. No Harvin. Maybe no McCoy. Maybe no Taylor.

Don't know. It wouldn't have played out the way it did. Chances are it wouldn't have been Roman. No Clay. No Harvin. Maybe no McCoy. Maybe no Taylor.

Taylor and McCoy would have come. Rex wasn't the big factor for them. And I think clay would have as well.

Harvin would sign anywhere. Including here last year.

Taylor and McCoy would have come. Rex wasn't the big factor for them. And I think clay would have as well.

Harvin would sign anywhere. Including here last year.

Without Roman they never go after Clay like they did and overpay him like they did. Extremely little chance. He's worth that much only in one offense. Romans. Taylor MAY have come but Roman's offense was tailor made for him, too. If you had a HC who preferred a drop back pocket passer then no Taylor. They probably wouldn't have been so gung ho to get and up the ante for McCoy without a coach who wanted to run a lot. And he might not have we wanted to come here.

How much of the defense was rebuilt before last season? By most accounts the defense didn't change personnel wise very much at all.

Stepping back though, this is the landscape of the current NFL. Every team's roster has a portion that is a revolving door. During the Patriots era of sustained success, there has been one player who has remained constant. The offense, defense, and kicking game has been built and rebuilt repeatedly. If you look at what Elway did with the Broncos team, he spent cap on both offense and defense simultaneously. Both the offense and the defense improved. They wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without attention to both.

So this begs the question:

Can one truly put one side of the ball out to pasture, into status quo, for some indefinite period and then focus entirely on the other side of the ball?

If one boils it all down to a number for offense and a number for defense—the offensive and defensive ranking—then they can say 12 > 25 so we need to pour everything we have into the 25th side of our team. But that may be missing the forest for the grooves in the bark. Who's can say what is behind the numbers 12 and 25? I mean 25 might be 19 and 12 might have been 15 with just a few hundred total yards more or less—and it is obvious the difference between 15 > 19 and 12 > 25 is simply not the same. And 100, 200, 300 yards is really what? Five or six long passes dropped versus caught? A couple of missed tackles and big runs?

yes but it wouldn't have been all defense like it was this yr. We basically neglected the offense this yr and as such there is a good chance they regress.

yes but it wouldn't have been all defense like it was this yr. We basically neglected the offense this yr and as such there is a good chance they regress.

Define "good chance" because even to an outsider looking in there is no immediately obvious reason why they should. The only player they lost is Harvin.

IF Terry were to fire Rex, he would have a difficult time replacing him.

BUF has never been a HC's dream assignment. Given that, if Terry gets the rep of running a revolving door at HC he'll never be able to attract any high caliber HC's. .

BUF has never been a HC's dream assignment. Given that, if Terry gets the rep of running a revolving door at HC he'll never be able to attract any high caliber HC's. .

I'm not so sure that's the case.

There are only 32 of these jobs, and they didn't have any trouble attracting candidates after Marrone left.

Add to that the idea that a new HC will have some talent to work with on both sides of the ball, and an owner willing to spend what it takes to bring in more talent, and it's likely a relatively attractive destination.

Why did Shanny go to Washington?

Buffalo was at rock bottom right before chan/nix. That was the point in time, I believe the front office, the ownership, the relocation likelihood, the untalented roster and condition of the stadium were all hovering right around historic lows.

Since then it's all been trending up!!!

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood