MMQB: Rex + Rob: The Battling (and Babbling) Buffalo Bros

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I can’t stand being around negative people. I can’t stand it. -snip- I believe in it, and I am surrounding myself with people that believe in it also."

This is an unhealthy attitude imho, basically he is saying I only want yaysayers on my staff. That doesn't result in a winning environment; you need an environment where constructive critism prevails.

Look up the "Pygmalion Effect." When leaders believe in their people, they tend to perform better. And when people believe in themselves, they tend to perform better (sometimes called the "Galatea Effect."). These two generalities have been proven in numerous studies in a number of different environments. Let's add a third observation: when people believe in the plan, they perform better. I think these are the things Rex is looking for.

I don't think Rex meant that he wants a culture where there's no constructive criticism. Having read Collision Low Crossers, I don't think he's that kind of guy.

More than once in his career, General Patton said something to the effect, "If 10 men are thinking alike, 9 of them aren't thinking." If Rex is in fact looking for group-think and yes-men, you're right, he's not going to build a winning environment.

"I believe in being a multiple defense, an attacking defense, a physical defense. (Seattle) are a very physical defense; they play a very simple scheme and let their guys play. But I don't think that's why you hire a Ryan."

He's got that right. Hence the fall from #2 in 2014 to #24 in 2015.

Let dominant players be dominant? Nah, we'll over-complicate things so they're frozen in confusion as opposing offenses light us up.

"I can’t stand being around negative people. I can’t stand it. -snip- I believe in it, and I am surrounding myself with people that believe in it also."

This is an unhealthy attitude imho, basically he is saying I only want yaysayers on my staff. That doesn't result in a winning environment; you need an environment where constructive critism prevails.

Being positive does not preclude you from being critical.

Besides teaching them football, Buddy apparently taught his boys self-confidence. Man, those two talk big!

I'm not predicting greatness and I'm not predicting failure. I will predict that it'll be interesting.

If you talk that much **** then you better deliver the goods.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Look up the "Pygmalion Effect." When leaders believe in their people, they tend to perform better. And when people believe in themselves, they tend to perform better (sometimes called the "Galatea Effect."). These two generalities have been proven in numerous studies in a number of different environments. Let's add a third observation: when people believe in the plan, they perform better. I think these are the things Rex is looking for.

I don't think Rex meant that he wants a culture where there's no constructive criticism. Having read Collision Low Crossers, I don't think he's that kind of guy.

More than once in his career, General Patton said something to the effect, "If 10 men are thinking alike, 9 of them aren't thinking." If Rex is in fact looking for group-think and yes-men, you're right, he's not going to build a winning environment.

Respect has to be earned, especially in the NFL. I don't think talking big makes men want to follow you, unless you have a history of backing it up. Unfortunately, Rex hasn't "backed it up" in a long time, so the big talk isn't going to win him a lot of followers in the Bills' locker room, and neither is his fellowship with people like Rob and D Thurman.

I remember something Chad Eaton, who was a really good DT on some of the early NE teams, said about Belichick: That rah rah talk doesn't work among grown men; what gets NFL players fired up is knowing your coach is smarter and better prepared than the guy on the other sideline and if you do what he says, you will probably win. The Ryans have a lot to prove in that regard, and until they do, there will be doubters, even (or maybe especially) in the locker room.

The question isn't whether they've got experience or know which scheme they're running. It's still whether their scheme is going to work in a rapidly evolving NFL. All these looks and complexities are nice, but are you able to get the right package on the field playing New England? Are the players able to digest it and run it well from the get-go?

Apparently they think football is still about being the biggest and baddest dudes around. That's nice for copy but it still ain't winning football games.

Time to put up or shut up.

Edited by BillsVet

I enjoyed the article. I like the Ryans. Does that mean Buffalo is going to have a great defense this year? Of course not. But here's my favorite quote from the article, and it pretty much sums up the way I feel about this place (TSW) a good bit of the time:

"I can’t stand being around negative people. I can’t stand it. There are people that, I know for a fact, don’t believe in me; they don’t believe in the direction of the football team. That’s fine and dandy. I believe in it, and I am surrounding myself with people that believe in it also."

Edit: and I'm not here to say I believe or buy into everything Rob and Rex say. Just that I enjoy them as individuals.

Sums up my feelings perfectly.

@SBNationNFL

Rex and Rob Ryan have explained away past failures. But what if the Bills defense is bad? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/5/27/11795954/rex-rob-ryan-bills-defense-nfl-season-preview

@viccarucci

I don't recall a Super Bowl-winning team drawing as much national attention as the #Bills' Ryans & Doug Whaley have this week.