Are the Bills really in "Win Now" mode?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what the Jags are doing, maybe we can steal one their guys

well, one of them is Chris Polian

I don't dislike our FO. I just wonder what the plan according to Pegs really is. IMO the two mouthpieces of the org, Doug and Rex, don't act like they are on short leashes or dare I say an "ultimatum"... They seem pretty relaxed

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't dislike our FO. I just wonder what the plan according to Pegs really is. IMO the two mouthpieces of the org, Doug and Rex, don't act like they are on short leashes or dare I say an "ultimatum"... They seem pretty relaxed

agreed, Wonder if they do poorly (4 or less wins) if Pegs drops the hammer or does he really think these are the guys to lead this franchise?

edit: are you saying you like or dislike Chris Polian?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

agreed, Wonder if they do poorly (4 or less wins) if Pegs drops the hammer or does he really think these are the guys to lead this franchise?

edit: are you saying you like or dislike Chris Polian?

eh. I don't dislike him as a personnel guy behind the scenes. He has a lot of experience in that space. As a GM though... Different story. Maybe he would be better 2nd time around but if he was hired to replace Whaley (this was rumored, remember, back when the whole Bill polian czar stuff was going on) I would find that very un-inspiring. Caldwell worked for polian in Indy for years and then hired him when polian got the ax in Indy, and he got the Jax job. I am sure CP is dying to get back into a job where he has a little more power and isn't working for Caldwell. CP doesn't exude leadership or confidence IMO as the face of an organization. As Director of Player Personnel or whatever he is down there - that's about his speed. Edited by YoloinOhio

eh. I don't dislike him as a personnel guy behind the scenes. He has a lot of experience in that space. As a GM though... Different story. Maybe he would be better 2nd time around but if he was hired to replace Whaley (this was rumored, remember, back when the whole Bill polian czar stuff was going on) I would find that very un-inspiring. Caldwell worked for polian in Indy for years and then hired him when polian got the ax in Indy, and he got the Jax job. I am sure CP is dying to get back into a job where he has a little more power and isn't working for Caldwell. CP doesn't exude leadership or confidence IMO as the face of an organization. As Director of Player Personnel or whatever he is down there - that's about his speed.

If you could have one GM, who would you want or think will be a good GM?

If you could have one GM, who would you want or think will be a good GM?

i don't dislike Whaley, he has something to prove still but I'm a fan. But I like "bold moves" if you will, and that's his style. If not him, Nick Caserio in NE's FO has a bright future and I would be pretty excited having him run my team. Edited by YoloinOhio

What's weird is that you never hear the Patsies say "We're in Win Now mode" ... They just always ARE... They use the simple, timeless, effective, mantra. "DO YOUR JOB' -That's the extent of their expectations...

What's our mantra? :huh:

I remember Before games Marv Levy would ask the 90's Bills "Where else would you rather be than right here, RIGHT NOW?" Not quite a "mantra", but effective enough as motivation..

We need something like that for the upcoming TC.... I came up with "Drill baby drill!", but it seems that one is taken... Any thoughts?

To the OP's question, no. But there's about 20 Wallers who'll dive off the ledge in Decenber and another few hundred 'experts' who'll march on City Hall to throw the team back 5 years to Square 1 again. It's who we are and how we roll.

continuity, its real and its playing out in front of us.

win now is the strangest phrase. should it always be win now ?

maybe it is more a description of acquiring players. When the foundation is laid you can add the church Towers via FA.

baked

Edited by 3rdand12

Mentioned this a few times.

It seemed Rex was motivated and focused for some games and "eh we got this" for others.

Your obviously not "all in"

Oh, I've been "all in" since '83 with this team... Thing is, "all in" at a poker game can hurt alot... I wish we could come up with something less risky-sounding.

They sure want everyone to think they are... But how could they be? Drafting injured players... Settling for a glorified game-manager at QB.... Refusing to acquire a big-threat @ WR.... Hiring Rob Ryan!.... These are just a few of the potential disasters waiting to undermine any chance of us winning the AFCE. -Which, by the way, is what we should be focusing on!

Can you honestlly say that this team is being engineered to crush Massacheatsus?

Your response may be the answer to the question posed in this thread.

This is exactly how I feel.

They were in win now mode after going 9-7. Unfortunately, every coaching chance since then has put this team right back in to rebuild mode.

Edit: I do not blame Whaley for the current state of this team. I think Whaley built a legitimate contender that was a QB away from being an absolute powerhouse - with a defense so good that even our current QB situation would have been good enough to get to the post season.

Edited by Gugny

At 16 and counting, the answer is Yes, the Bills are in Win Now mode. And they will be until they make the playoffs. We're starting to flirt with history here.

They've made history. No franchise since 1991 (when playoff rules were changed) has missed the playoffs for more seasons consecutively. Only Cincinnati and Detroit have longer streaks without winning a playoff game.

I know...negative nabob.

TPegs didn't spend the money he has for them to be in anything but win-now mode.