Are the Bills really in "Win Now" mode?

I think everyone wants those guys you talk about. Remember, Richie didn't take a team discount to stay and wanted to be paid just like the next guy. Williams played well when he got his change but who knows if he makes the team this year. Overall, we all want guys who buy into the system, team, and city; however, those guys won't win you championships. They maybe get you to the playoffs. You need that one guy who has to be double blocked in order to not get to the QB, which frees the guys your talking about up to hit the qb. Until the Bills win and win a lot, the team will over pay to keep and bring in FAs. It's business.

sad but true

That one guy is an elite QB

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conveniently left out of this narrative are two significant points:

1) Doug wasn't the GM when Manuel was picked, and

2) The Bills traded down and grabbed an extra pick (which mitigated risks and eventually turned into McCoy) before taking EJ.

Once again, Doug has personally claimed responsibility for that pick. You and others refuse to see the facts as they are. There's nothing I can do about that.

Whaley even said that Manuel has the "It factor." How absurd is that.

Any fool knows that the only reason why Manuel's still on this team is entirely because of Whaley, he wouldn't be on too many teams as the #2 if any right now. It's also not a stretch to suggest that we don't have a true backup QB that's capable of winning explicitly because of Whaley's favoratism over Manuel too. It gets really old discussing this with people in denial of the facts, it really does. But go ahead, keep denying it in favor of your predetermined position, just don't expect those that understand reality to agree. It's as plain as day what the truth is.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Once again, Doug has personally claimed responsibility for that pick. You and others refuse to see the facts as they are. There's nothing I can do about that.

Whaley even said that Manuel has the "It factor." How absurd is that.

Any fool knows that the only reason why Manuel's still on this team is entirely because of Whaley. It gets really old discussing this with people in denial of the facts, it really does. But go ahead, keep denying it in favor of your predetermined position, just don't expect those that understand reality to agree. It's as plain as day what the truth is.

Thank you :worthy::worthy:

I do think they were both involved as Nix said he was gona get us a QB before he retired but those who say whaley had no involvement are fooling themselves

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

No it wouldnt have been the same thing they did with EJ. The Bills have what looks to be a solid starter in place in Tyrod. When EJ was drafted they essentially had no one else at the position on the roster.

Why are we giving credit to Doug?

See the previous post.

If you want to deny reality nobody can prevent you from doing that.

Pot meet kettle. You are tripping hard on the so-called "law of averages":

Nice of you to entirely leapfrog the basis for the entire argument.

Key words: trending downward

We are now maxed out on the cap due to last year's spending spree in free agency. We don't even have enough to sign all of our key premier players. As I've stated, Whaley's used three 1st-round picks (and a 4th) to grab Manuel & Watkins and Watkins is one significant injury away from being a cut above being a bust.

The D has regressed, the O is not taking steps forward and if Watkins tanks again this year for whatever reason, injury, inconsistency, etc., then this O is going to be below average. You cannot have no viable WRs and expect to do anything, you cannot simply run 70% of the time, this isn't Oklahoma in the '80s.

The point on the law of averages is that mediocrity is king in the NFL, going .500 is not difficult. But it's also more than Whaley. It's the entire culture.

Either way, I believe it was Football Outsiders that did that review of the drafts since 2000 or something, and if you took the time to look at the actual data, you'd have noticed that Whaley has had the worst draft grades of any GM we had during that time period, including Levy.

So no, I'm not tripping, you are.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Thank you :worthy::worthy:

I do think they were both involved as Nix said he was gona get us a QB before he retired but those who say whaley had no involvement are fooling themselves

Whaley clearly made Manuel his pick. Nix had nothing if anything to do with it. Anyone that believes that Nix had any power at that point is gullible. What team would leave a "GM" that the knew would be dispensed of immediately following the draft in place to make the picks? Only a fool would do that. Granted, there are fools running this team, but still, that goes beyond foolish.

Also, why on earth would Whaley be protecting Manuel so badly if he wasn't his pick? That makes absolutely no sense and Manuel doesn't have a friend on the team otherwise. Ryan doesn't care for Manuel, no one does. He's useless, literally useless.

Remember though, some people just want to see what they want to see and if reality isn't convenient to that they'll think whatever they want in order to deny reality. That's a good chunk of this forum, particularly on this topic.

The reality is that with three 1st-round picks entrusted to him, and a 4th, we've gotten Manuel, a complete bust who we reached for, and Watkins, an injury-prone WR that isn't even close to being the best WR in his own draft class. Those are facts. And again, if Watkins isn't ready to start the season or has a nagging Jones fracture, now with Lawson out for a good chunk of the season, Whaley's 1st-rounders are Watkins' health away from being a complete joke. A really bad joke on the fans of the Bills, but a joke nonetheless.

Whaley clearly made Manuel his pick. Nix had nothing if anything to do with it. Anyone that believes that Nix had any power at that point is gullible. What team would leave a "GM" that the knew would be dispensed of immediately following the draft in place to make the picks? Only a fool would do that. Granted, there are fools running this team, but still, that goes beyond foolish.

Also, why on earth would Whaley be protecting Manuel so badly if he wasn't his pick? That makes absolutely no sense and Manuel doesn't have a friend on the team otherwise. Ryan doesn't care for Manuel, no one does. He's useless, literally useless.

Remember though, some people just want to see what they want to see and if reality isn't convenient to that they'll think whatever they want in order to deny reality. That's a good chunk of this forum, particularly on this topic.

The reality is that with three 1st-round picks entrusted to him, and a 4th, we've gotten Manuel, a complete bust who we reached for, and Watkins, an injury-prone WR that isn't even close to being the best WR in his own draft class. Those are facts. And again, if Watkins isn't ready to start the season or has a nagging Jones fracture, now with Lawson out for a good chunk of the season, Whaley's 1st-rounders are Watkins' health away from being a complete joke. A really bad joke on the fans of the Bills, but a joke nonetheless.

well we are talking about the Bills :D

Whaley might be keeping because it would be a big cap hit, also there is nothing out there to bring in so there really is no need to cut him know and TRUST me I'm no EJ fan.

We have been notoriously bad with our 1st round picks which is why we haven't been to the playoffs, I think Whaley has done ok but not as bad or horrible as many on here proclaim.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

The Irony....BIlls are in Win Mode, but in their history, have never won the big game.

You can only go as far as your QB. And with this fat blowhard as head coach the Bills are going on 2 decades of no playoffs!

Edited by fredex22

The Irony....BIlls are in Win Mode, but in their history, have never won the big game.

You can only go as far as your QB. And with this fat blowhard as head coach the Bills are going on 2 decades of no playoffs!

You know he has a winning record in the NFL vs everyone other than Tom Brady? We only Brady 1 time. Good times.

we always win the offseason

No we do not. We like to think we do. Plus this offseason was very un-Bill like. Signing their own, few roster changes.

just in time for Brady to retire and the Bills to regain their dominance of the AFC

I just watched the Whaley video.

Manuel has the it factor, is 6 feet 4, is 240 pounds and can run a 4.6.

HEY WHALEY, EJ is a QB....CAN HE PHOCKING THROW? That should be your first question before worrying about his 4.6. ( GO SEE BRADY )

Yes, Im shouting. I never realized Whaley was such a BSer.

just in time for Brady to retire and the Bills to regain their dominance of the AFC

Im sad to think that Brady is good for another 4 years.

HEY WHALEY, EJ is a QB....CAN HE PHOCKING THROW? That should be your first question before worrying about his 4.6. ( GO SEE BRADY )

Part of the GM's job is politician

Bills Walsh said Trent Edwards had the "IT" factor. QB is nearly impossible to scout. Jamarcus Russell was the unanimous #1 overall pick.

Part of the GM's job is politician

"Medical staff cleared him, said he can play. Now, if something happens, it’s going to happen, but it’s nothing that we’re real worried about or we wouldn’t have taken him. We got complete faith in our medical staff and they signed off on him, so we’re excited to have him."

3 weeks late...

"We think going with the surgery and getting him 100% healthy, that it's going to raise the bar. He's going to be out there playing at an optimal level, rather than at a less than optimal level all season. That's how we looked at it."

Prior to the Arizona hit, Trent did have that it factor by winning a couple late games. However, he showed his true colours.

Whaley is starting to sound like Trump. I hate Popovich and Belicheat, but maybe they have it right. Say nothing to the media.

The Bills are in "Win Never" mode. Other than meaningless games at the end of season that puts them at 19 overall with a .500 record.

Prior to the Arizona hit, Trent did have that it factor by winning a couple late games. However, he showed his true colours.

Whaley is starting to sound like Trump. I hate Popovich and Belicheat, but maybe they have it right. Say nothing to the media.

People always bring up the Arizona game. One of his best games of his career was right after that game. I know fans missed a lot of that game, that was the game where balloons I think caused broadcast issues.

"Medical staff cleared him, said he can play. Now, if something happens, it’s going to happen, but it’s nothing that we’re real worried about or we wouldn’t have taken him. We got complete faith in our medical staff and they signed off on him, so we’re excited to have him."

3 weeks late...

"We think going with the surgery and getting him 100% healthy, that it's going to raise the bar. He's going to be out there playing at an optimal level, rather than at a less than optimal level all season. That's how we looked at it."

just like I said.

Im sad to think that Brady is good for another 4 years.

he wants to play till 45 and with the way he takes care of himself and NFL protection of QBs it seems possible.

Lets win later so we can all enjoy 17, 18, and 19 years of futility.

just like I said.

he wants to play till 45 and with the way he takes care of himself and NFL protection of QBs it seems possible.

No way, anyone who watched him at the end of the season can start seeing a decline. Hes got 2 years left.

well we are talking about the Bills :D

Whaley might be keeping because it would be a big cap hit, also there is nothing out there to bring in so there really is no need to cut him know and TRUST me I'm no EJ fan.

We have been notoriously bad with our 1st round picks which is why we haven't been to the playoffs, I think Whaley has done ok but not as bad or horrible as many on here proclaim.

Does Manuel have that big a cap hit in year four of his original four-year deal? I can't imagine given the rookie wage scale. Certainly not worth typing up a QB spot anyway. You have to remember that consuming one spot is an opportunity cost as it is. Manuel has no ability to win games, he's essentially useless as a backup QB.

As to Whaley's 1st's, are you sure?

For four 1st-round picks now, and an additional 4th-rounder, here's what Whaley has netted;

Manuel, a BUST. Watkins, a ridiculous trade-up and another player that's one significant injury away from being all but a bust. And now Shaq Lawson, whom Whaley ignored known issues with to select a player that we'll be fortunate to see on the field for the second half of the season and even then not at 100% following shoulder surgery, and that's if things work out swimmingly. There's also no guarantee that he's as good as everyone thinks either, as with most draft picks.

You still think that's OK and not horrible or bad? If you ask me, if he were the GM of any other team the same people supporting him here would be laughing at him in mockery. I don't see how anyone can possibly view that as anything other than highly questionable at best, which is not even "OK."

Put another way, if his 1st-round performance continues like that, assuming he stays on as GM which I say he will regardless of what happens, will you be happy?