SI: Don Banks Says Rex & Whaley Not Sweating a Bad Week

Yes, not having any surgeries is better, but two players having surgery in the offseason with both expected back 100% this season did not deserve the freak out it received. Classic offseason-itis. Sorry if it hurts your feelings to have that pointed out but someone has to be the grown-up.

So, you think that the poster isn't a grown up because he disagrees with you?

That smell is your perfume.

I just about died laughing. Great response!

Does anyone know if Lawson signed his rookie deal? One would guess the Bills could put a squeeze on him since he is injured. I don't know if there is a set price for the pick or there is wiggle room. If I was the front office, I would go for the lowest price I could because who knows if he will play this year or not.

I just about died laughing. Great response!

Does anyone know if Lawson signed his rookie deal? One would guess the Bills could put a squeeze on him since he is injured. I don't know if there is a set price for the pick or there is wiggle room. If I was the front office, I would go for the lowest price I could because who knows if he will play this year or not.

he has not. They seem to be signing by round. Adolphus was just done last week, so I expect Ragland then Shaq.

All is well? Or don't lose your schitt over this?

Perspective. Look it up. Use it.

All is well? Or don't lose your schitt over this?

Perspective. Look it up. Use it.

That's what it really comes down to isn't it? We say "all is not lost", they think it means "all is well".

Flip it around and can they say the same? They say "all is lost", and we think it means...."all is lost". I mean what else can you take from the "incompetence", "fire whaley", "fire the medical staff" comments? (not specifically you Barley)

That's funny. Because when I say "it was a bad week" you seem to think it equates to "losing my schitt" or saying "all is lost". Maybe try a little perspective yourselves. Or even just a little reading comprehension.

That's funny. Because when I say "it was a bad week" you seem to think it equates to "losing my schitt" or saying "all is lost". Maybe try a little perspective yourselves. Or even just a little reading comprehension.

That depends. Do you mean it was a bad week because of the injuries? Or do you mean it was a bad week because of the incompetence of the medical staff, amateur hour at OBD, and Doug Whaley thinking he is the smartest GM in the league? The resulting Doug Whaley is on the hot seat, do the bills need new medical staff, and subsequent "amateur" comments and threads I consider "losing their schitt"

I agree it was a bad week for injuries on the team. It sucks that Sammy will have to take it easy for a month or 2. Definitely sucks Shaq will miss a 4-5 games. That is a rough week for sure.

Do I think it was a bad week for Whaley and the Bills medical staff? No. I think they knew exactly what they were getting with Shaq. I imagine the storm that may have occurred midseason if Lawson got hurt though. I could see the same arguments and maybe missing more games. Smarter to get it out of the way. Go ahead and question the pick itself, but I feel it will be a blip on the radar of the young man's career.

Go ahead and question the pick itself, but I feel it will be a blip on the radar of the young man's career.

I agree with the above, but I don't think that it is the issue.

This kid is guaranteed millions of dollars. Excuse me for being greedy, but I care WAY more about the Bills making the playoffs than I do about Shaq's career. If he misses 5 games, he comes back in week 6 as a rookie. This isn't a great situation.

For another team it would be far less catastrophic, I will give you that. The Bills however are not in a position to take this kind of risk imo.

I don't know how old you are, so forgive me as I take you on a trip down "Bills Bad Memory Lane:"

In 2003, the Bills had the 23rd pick in round 1. Their offensive line was as bad as one could imagine. A very good guard, Eric Steinbach, dropped down and fell into their laps. He went on to have a wonderful career and would have been a big boost to the Bills. Well instead of Steinbach, Donohoe drafted an injured Willis MaGahee. He missed 20 games before he saw the field. When he did play, he was "good." The problem is, the Bills were not, and continued to screw up most drafts, no matter who was the GM.

So, count me as one who is rather skeptical of intentionally drafting injured players, and now you know the reason (btw Kujo is another prime example).

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

It was my impression that he is a self-proclaimed "insider," so presumably he doesn't need transparency.

Must just be looking out for the rest of us :rolleyes:

Yep. Strange comment coming from an "insider" who posted a "video of him" in the war room during the 2015 Draft. imo

Nothing is more off base when it comes to professional sports than this idea of team transparency. The belief that somehow a private for profit corporation owes fans a peek behind the curtain or that the media has a right to access locker rooms, players, coaches, front office personal, or owners is misguided at the least and self-righteous at the worst.

The reason is simple with regard to fans. Being a fan is not compulsory nor is being a season ticket holder or buying merchandise. The transaction between you and the team/league is simply one of customer-service provider. It's not different than buying a coffee at Tim Hortons, where you have no rights to their business operations and corporate decision making information. Simply, if you don't like the service you're buying, find another one or stop altogether. And because you continue to chose to buy (i.e., brand loyalty) doesn't change the manner of the relationship and thereby require the team to reward your loyalty with information it frankly deems non of your business. Just because you own and love the iPhone and have bought ever one doesn't give you any rights to their proprietary information that indicates how the designed it (i.e, like building a team).

And I'll take it step further since someone will argue "well we pay for the stadium." True, but that only gives us the right to the information on the transaction and agreement between the government (us) and the renter. It does not extend to the renter's business and, by proxy, requiring the nature of their business decisions being open for our prying eyes. We own the SolarCity plant and all its equipment, does that mean we have a right to their decision-making information? Nope.

As for the media, they have no right to anything in professional sports. The league sees them and treats them as free PR, an unpaid arm of the league. Somehow, this idea that they are required to have access is from some unknown origin. Where exactly is this right codified? The relationship between leagues and the media is based on mutual benefit, not some need to be open and transparent.

The only requirement for transparency is for the government since taxes and laws are compulsory, therefore we have the right to open, transparent governance that provides us the ability to see how out government functions. It is here that the media has rights and should have access and act as the "medium" by which open government is truly open. FOIL was enacted to ensure government transparency. Last I checked, you can't FOIL the Bills' draft board.

Transparency simply does not extend to the NFL.

If you feel like you are "owed" transparency, all I can say is "Wow, you take this way too seriously."

The NFL is entertainment, and like all entertainment, a faction of followers want the inside information and behind the scenes access. Therefore some level of transparency is simply good for business. Sure It's not required by law, but is practically required by business segment.

So, you think that the poster isn't a grown up because he disagrees with you?

He isn't a grown up because he is freaking out over something not worth that level of freak out. Yeah, I suppose he has every right to throw a tantrum. But I have the right to say "Buddy, suck it up."

Okay, it's a bad week as in "too bad two players will miss camp." It's not "too bad two players are going to miss the season" or "too bad we're going 0-16."

Gross! Thanks for posting info, but Rodak?! I'd rather listen to Abba than listen to that fool speak for a second.

To be clear, since people blow everything up here - 26 is one of my favorite posters and I'm just playing around.

Gross! Thanks for posting info, but Rodak?! I'd rather listen to Abba than listen to that fool speak for a second.

To be clear, since people blow everything up here - 26 is one of my favorite posters and I'm just playing around.

How dare you besmirch Sweden's greatest pop group of the 1970's. How. Dare. You.

As for the pod: between Rodak and Graham and this being recorded one a shoe phone in a wind tunnel at the Indy 500, I didn't last more than 40 seconds on the listen.

wow. Well, I need a drink.

I think the article was purposely one-sided, but scathing nonetheless.

I haven't spent a lot of time listening to other GMs and coaches so I don't know if DW is a true outlier as far as touting his draft picks. My guess is that there is probably some truth in what Bedard is saying. Though he mentions EJ, he could have said more about Whaley's hard sell of EJ to the fanbase after the draft and before he even saw a practice field. That to me is a far better example than his possibly over optimistic expectations for the top three picks, probably because all three have a much better chance of excelling at their positions/responsibilities than EJ ever did. They are just all much better selections all things considered.

I agree with the above, but I don't think that it is the issue.

This kid is guaranteed millions of dollars. Excuse me for being greedy, but I care WAY more about the Bills making the playoffs than I do about Shaq's career. If he misses 5 games, he comes back in week 6 as a rookie. This isn't a great situation.

For another team it would be far less catastrophic, I will give you that. The Bills however are not in a position to take this kind of risk imo.

I don't know how old you are, so forgive me as I take you on a trip down "Bills Bad Memory Lane:"

In 2003, the Bills had the 23rd pick in round 1. Their offensive line was as bad as one could imagine. A very good guard, Eric Steinbach, dropped down and fell into their laps. He went on to have a wonderful career and would have been a big boost to the Bills. Well instead of Steinbach, Donohoe drafted an injured Willis MaGahee. He missed 20 games before he saw the field. When he did play, he was "good." The problem is, the Bills were not, and continued to screw up most drafts, no matter who was the GM.

So, count me as one who is rather skeptical of intentionally drafting injured players, and now you know the reason (btw Kujo is another prime example).

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can be skeptical of drafting an injured player, but I think McGahee was a bit different in that he really fudged up his knee didn't he? The prognosis for Lawson's shoulder is a whole lot better, and has low chance of recurrence or even affecting him after he heals and rehabs it. Of course we will have to wait and see how he performs once he comes back.

You can be skeptical of drafting an injured player, but I think McGahee was a bit different in that he really fudged up his knee didn't he? The prognosis for Lawson's shoulder is a whole lot better, and has low chance of recurrence or even affecting him after he heals and rehabs it. Of course we will have to wait and see how he performs once he comes back.

His knee basically popped backwards.

Edited by Commonsense