Is Lawson hurt??

JTO

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the Bills' and Whaley's official statements, I am more convinced that there was no sudden occurrence that caused this supposed change of plans. That story appears to be a smokescreen to deflect blame from a "win now" organization that knowingly used its first pick on a guy who probably will be little use this year. And of course there is the question of why they waited three weeks to have the surgery.

Edited by mannc

The caller, George also indicated it would be closer to 6 months. I'm starting to think we will be lucky to have him very much this season. Curious move for a staff supposedly on the hot seat.

Some cursory internet research on SLAP tears suggests throwing athletes might be able to do some light throwing 3-4 months after surgery. There are multiple types of SLAP tears and George referenced he was "older" and not a young kid/pro athlete.

I think it's way too early to say how long this is going to take as we just don't know all the details...but it's clearly going to be a while.

I bet 4 months is a good number to work with initially.

That takes us to mid September.

He may not miss that much time. Then again, he might not come back until mid November.

I'm guessing the recovery time worked its way into the Bills' plans and perhaps they are banking on him coming back sooner than later, knowing much more about the situation than anyone here, including me...and George!

:w00t:

After reading the Bills' and Whaley's official statements, I am more convinced that there was no sudden occurrence that caused this supposed change of plans. That story appears to be a smokescreen to deflect blame from a "win now" organization that knowingly used its first pick on a guy who probably will be little use this year. And of course there is the question of why they waited three weeks to have the surgery.

The caller George referenced above shares your sentiment about the smoke screen. He was quite adamant about that, for what that's worth.

They may have waited 3 weeks for all kinds of valid reasons that have nothing to do with incompetence or indecision.

How do you tell your boss that your first round pick is hurt already

Presumably that was all part of the decision making process, which would have been carried out long before draft day.

There's no news here that Pegula hasn't known about or planned for for a while, once the pick was green lighted, if in fact Pegula is green lighting draft picks at all. I hope he's not.

Then again, Lawson's injury occurred in his freshman year and he managed to have a stellar career culminating in a monster senior season. There was plausible reason to believe he could continue to play on it this season as well. It may very well be just as simple as what they said; that he aggravated it at rookie camp last week and the Bills decided to err on the side of caution now vs. waiting.

If one is willing to park their conspiracy theories at the door long enough for a simple examination of events, it makes sense.

None of that means we didn't draft a guy with a known shoulder injury, just a guy with an injury he had played very well with previously that he may have been able to play with another season.

GO BILLS!!!

http://media.wgr550.com/a/115202349/5-16-caller-george-on-lawson-injury.htm

Interesting phone call to S&B from earlier today.

Caller (who had a SLAP tear in each of his shoulders himself) asserts Shaq has a SLAP tear; would have been diagnosed in 1 minute by competent doctor; guarantees the Bills knew of this on draft day; Bills have decided to fix it now rather than later; Shaq will be useless for 3 months while arm is in sling; once fully recovered his shoulder should be 100% with full strength and with little chance of recurrence.

This is what I was thinking as well. Not a full tear and not a strain but a partial tear. If he plays the first few weeks, he may tear it 100% and miss the whole season. Get it fixed now and he'll be ready by week 3-6. Whaley and the doctors knew this. These are professionals. You really believe they would overlook something like this. They knew the juice was worth the squeeze.

This post is both sad and cynical.

This is what I was thinking as well. Not a full tear and not a strain but a partial tear. If he plays the first few weeks, he may tear it 100% and miss the whole season. Get it fixed now and he'll be ready by week 3-6. Whaley and the doctors knew this. These are professionals. You really believe they would overlook something like this. They knew the juice was worth the squeeze.

Something like this is probably close to what's going on. The key here is that Whaley and his colleagues decided the surgery/loss of time was worth it to get a top 10 pick lower down.

The Medical Czar I have been looking for!!!! An old guy with bad shoulders. Sounds like just the guy I'd want to do an over the phone e v a l of a 21 year old freak.

George provided more objective insight into this news story than anything else I've seen in this thread, for what that's worth.

Doesn't mean he has it all figured out of course. He's just a guy sharing his experience, but he claims to have gone through the same procedure twice and had some interesting insight into the injury.

Something like this is probably close to what's going on. The key here is that Whaley and his colleagues decided the surgery/loss of time was worth it to get a top 10 pick lower down.

George provided more objective insight into this news story than anything else I've seen in this thread, for what that's worth.

Doesn't mean he has it all figured out of course. He's just a guy sharing his experience, but he claims to have gone through the same procedure twice and had some interesting insight into the injury.

I was just having a little fun with it, time tables vary so much on an individual basis so I always try to take the wait and see approach. I do think the slap tear is accurate from what I have read that's what makes most sense. Have the procedure, heal him up, regain some muscle mass and at that point evaluate where our season is headed and play him accordingly.

I was just having a little fun with it, time tables vary so much on an individual basis so I always try to take the wait and see approach. I do think the slap tear is accurate from what I have read that's what makes most sense. Have the procedure, heal him up, regain some muscle mass and at that point evaluate where our season is headed and play him accordingly.

I think that's just what is going to happen. I bet the anticipated time table is shorter than we think, and that played heavily into the decision to go ahead and get it done now.

Like it is indeed only a partial tear as stated up-thread, they are confident in the procedure/quality of rehab, ability for his body to repair itself given his young age, and so on.

It's a cost vs. benefit calculation: get a top 10 talent in a year when you don't have a top 10 pick via paying the price of him missing a month (let's say) of his first season, with plenty more good football years to follow.

Who's to say if this is the right or wrong thing to do? I like the "go for it" approach to be honest.

He drops to 3rd, maybe even 4th, round if this was known beforehand

If it was 100 certain he'd get surgery this offseason he'd probably not drop from the first. At worst if this is a riskier procedure than portrayed thus far, top few picks in the second.

If it was 100 certain he'd get surgery this offseason he'd probably not drop from the first. At worst if this is a riskier procedure than portrayed thus far, top few picks in the second.

He is trolling. He said the same in the shoutbox hours ago, was corrected, and never responded. Blatant trolling.

perhaps you should follow your own advice on concluding you can discern the motivation of the realists here.

oh how i long for the day when i could discern the motivation of the self-proclaimed realists

this is twice now you've given me entirely too much credit

he was never ever in the same discussion of jack and smith, who were top 3-5 overall territory w/o the injury. They went top 5 round 2. No way he's in that league

he was never ever in the same discussion of jack and smith, who were top 3-5 overall territory w/o the injury. They went top 5 round 2. No way he's in that league

Yeah but they have knee problems and he has a shoulder problem. Also he didn't miss time in college for his injury whereas jack and smith both were out. Youre being disingenuous.

Of course you do