Gil Brandt says Bills are Biggest Threat in the AFC East

Buffalo on the rise?

By Gil Brandt

It happens every year: reigning division champions are brought down by upstart challengers to the throne.

Well, with the draft done and most free agents signed, let's attempt to get ahead of the curve by assessing the most vulnerable division winners from 2015. Below, listed in reverse order (that is, from least vulnerable to most) is my look at the teams in danger of losing their grip on their division in 2016, along with the club best positioned to push each leader.

Biggest threat in the AFC East: Buffalo Bills

The Patriots' spot here is based almost entirely on the four-game suspension Tom Brady is expected to serve to start the season -- if not for that, they'd definitely be No. 8 on this list. They do catch a break in that three of their first four games are at home, though they have to go to Arizona to open the season. Dion Lewis (who went on injured reserve in early November) should be back, while Martellus Bennett was added to an aerial attack that already included premier tight end Rob Gronkowski and receiver Julian Edelman. Also, the team brought back retired offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia to fix a troublesome unit that was bedeviled by injuries in 2015. Backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo simply hasn't played very much, making him hard to evaluate -- meaning there will be a relative wild card under center for the first quarter of the season.

This is another division that made improvements from top to bottom, with three potential challengers to the Pats. The Bills did a lot to help themselves, extending left tackle Cordy Glenn and coming away with an impressive draft haul. Still, Brady or no, it's not wise to bet against Bill Belichick, who simply finds ways to win. I expect New England to ultimately capture its eighth consecutive division title.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo on the rise?

The Patriots' spot here is based almost entirely on the four-game suspension Tom Brady is expected to serve to start the season -- if not for that, they'd definitely be No. 8 on this list. They do catch a break in that three of their first four games are at home, though they have to go to Arizona to open the season. Dion Lewis (who went on injured reserve in early November) should be back, while Martellus Bennett was added to an aerial attack that already included premier tight end Rob Gronkowski and receiver Julian Edelman. Also, the team brought back retired offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia to fix a troublesome unit that was bedeviled by injuries in 2015. Backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo simply hasn't played very much, making him hard to evaluate -- meaning there will be a relative wild card under center for the first quarter of the season.

This is another division that made improvements from top to bottom, with three potential challengers to the Pats. The Bills did a lot to help themselves, extending left tackle Cordy Glenn and coming away with an impressive draft haul. Still, Brady or no, it's not wise to bet against Bill Belichick, who simply finds ways to win. I expect New England to ultimately capture its eighth consecutive division title.

This is an example of Gil Brandt's poor writing. He states a premise, backs it up with facts, and then in his last sentence, says the exact opposite of his premise.

This is an example of Gil Brandt's poor writing. He states a premise, backs it up with facts, and then in his last sentence, says the exact opposite of his premise.

Maybe that limb he walked out on couldn't hold his weight. :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

There is always one article every off season about how the Bills "could" be the new favorites to win the divison.

Then after week 8 we see the articles saying we are the "same old Bills"

CBF

Sadly true.

But as a true fan, I keep hoping this year will be different.

There is always one article every off season about how the Bills "could" be the new favorites to win the divison.

Then after week 8 we see the articles saying we are the "same old Bills"

CBF

You've been paying attention! Some year that has to change, right? Right??

Buffalo on the rise?

Great post, worth reading, but my pessimism is running amuck this season, so while I love the optimism among media folk, I sadly expect nothing more than another 8-8, 7-9, 6-10 campaign. for me, it was extremely hard to watch a team with arguably the best defensive scheme in 2014 get dismantled. My brain still hurts over that. I would love to be wrong here obviously.

Outsiders: Early 2016 AFC Projections

The draft is over and free agency is pretty much buttoned up, which means it's time for Football Outsiders to take a first crack at projecting the how the AFC will shake out in 2016.

AFC East

1. New England Patriots: 10-6 (10.3 mean wins, SOS: 16)

2. Buffalo Bills: 9-7 (8.6 mean wins; SOS: 15)

3. New York Jets: 6-10 (6.0 mean wins; SOS: 2)

4. Miami Dolphins: 5-11 (4.7 mean wins; SOS: 4)

Full AFC projected playoff standings

Here's what the 2016 AFC playoff picture would look like according to our early projections.

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

2. Kansas City Chiefs (12-4)

3. New England Patriots (10-6)

4. Houston Texans (8-8)

5. Cincinnati Bengals* (10-6)

6. Baltimore Ravens* (10-6)

7. Buffalo Bills (9-7)

Outsiders: Early 2016 AFC Projections

AFC East

1. New England Patriots: 10-6 (10.3 mean wins, SOS: 16)

2. Buffalo Bills: 9-7 (8.6 mean wins; SOS: 15)

3. New York Jets: 6-10 (6.0 mean wins; SOS: 2)

4. Miami Dolphins: 5-11 (4.7 mean wins; SOS: 4)

Full AFC projected playoff standings

Here's what the 2016 AFC playoff picture would look like according to our early projections.

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

2. Kansas City Chiefs (12-4)

3. New England Patriots (10-6)

4. Houston Texans (8-8)

5. Cincinnati Bengals* (10-6)

6. Baltimore Ravens* (10-6)

7. Buffalo Bills (9-7)

So, the AFC north is going to stroll through the AFC East and NFC East like Central Park?

I think that the Bills are the 2nd best team in the division. I have thought that the last few years and they have beaten up on Miami and the Jets. Hopefully they will get some bounces this year and get to the playoffs.

That's fair. It will take some luck, as it does for every team, to get over the hump. If we have injuries like we had last year all bets are off. On the other hand, if Taylor improves, the defense improves and the second year familiarity kicks in, we are capable of winning the division.

He said Threat... He didn't say the Bills would do it, just that they are the biggest threat.

He says the Bills are the biggest threat... to NE in the AFCE.

Buffalo on the rise?

Ok, what cheating scandal can he pull off temporarily now? :rolleyes:

I think that the Bills are the 2nd best team in the division. I have thought that the last few years and they have beaten up on Miami and the Jets. Hopefully they will get some bounces this year and get to the playoffs.

Now what we have to do is find a way to beat teams other than just the Jets and Dolphins. We've been doing great at beating divisional opponents that we should beat. What we've been doing wrong is losing to non divisional opponents we should beat. We also need to take at least a game from the Pats *. If we don't beat them without Brady I think it tell us what kind of season it's going to be early on.

I am reserving my optomism this year.....

Last year I was sure we were going to the playoffs......I mean how could our top 5 defense let us down? All we needed was a "game manager" and we were gonna make it

Then the D fell 15 spots and we got more then a game manager at QB

The O improved....the D regressed

If the O can improve just a little bit....and the D improve a lot. Were goin