What Kolby at WR does for the Bills right now

On the insinuation that Goodwin has bad hands, I have to disagree, I think Goodwin is a good WR that just happens to be fast. He showed us his all around skill a couple years ago when Woods and Sammy were out for a couple games. When the other WRs are healthy, though, he's relegated to the deep ball, which I assume our new speed guy would be too. The only downside to Goodwin is his health/durability, that's it, really. If he could stay on the field, he'd be a damn fine weapon.

You are right.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very little actually in terms of his likely actual production. He likely at best is a diamond in the rough who will need some serious coaching in how to run both complex and even relatively simple routes before he is a legit pro at WR.

In fact he may never become a consistent legitimate threat to catch the ball a lot and stand-up to a full season of getting hit.

He can run the fly because of his world class speed. Even better he has demonstrated good hands which will differentiate him from past high speed guys who could out run the opposing CB but then had alligator arms and drop the pass..

However, what Kolby has right now and quite likely after a pre-season is that his play though likely easily defensed by an opponents fastest CB, if he plays it will be a boon for Watkins whose production is now demanding the fastest opposing CB and a double-team to neutralize him.

Opposing DCs will likely have to pick their poison and either cover Kolby one on one with their fastest CB thus leaving Watkins to face B talent or give Watkins the cover he deserves and plan on Kolby not simply outrunning the CB.

Add to this a three WR set which likely gives our #2 WR Williams a shot at getting covered likely one on one with Watkins getting the opponents best cover guy and Kolby getting their fastest CB.

I expect little production from a third day choice rookie WR, but I really like what getting a WR who is mutant fast and demonstrated at TCU good hands because in 3 WR sets h can do a lot to liberate Watkins and Williams to actually produce.

Add our RB cast (augmented with a rookie longshot who had 1st round talent before injury and is now cleared by our medical staff, but is still only #4 on our depth chart) which will demand 7 in the box and our O personnel looks foreboding to me even with the loss of Harvin and Hogan.

The Bills certainly pulled it off with Golden Wheels.

Yup. Getting an NFL corner in your grill that screws up your release off the line is a whole lot different than some college punk trying to guard you.

I'd be surprised if he makes the team, considering we cut some very good receivers last year at camp and we already have 5 they'll likely keep if you count Easley. But the dude has attitude and is really cocky, so maybe he'll spunk his way onto the 53 man roster and beat the odds.

I think this is pretty realistic. I haven't read that he is a punt or KO returner and I wouldn't guess given his size that he would be a killer coverage guy. If he doesn't contribute on special teams, I think that he will have a very uphill battle to make the team.

Good hands and good speed are the two tools that I feel you can't teach at WR, and at 6 feet tall he isn't super small. So I liked the pick from that perspective as I think you can teach him better route running over the next couple of years. I don't expect much from him this year, maybe they try to run some sets to get him out in some space or throw a bomb to him a few times. But I doubt he contributes much this year. But maybe after a full off-season and rookie year he goes into 2017 a bit more polished and then real progression begins to happen. It's really the type of player you should take in round 6, 2-3 great tools you can't teach but will need a lot of raw development time.

Edited by billsfan89

Yes, his body might not be built for the NFL, but Goodwin's pretty darn good as a receiver.

the first part is absolutely true. The 2nd part is absolutely laughable.

In 3 seasons he has accumulated 20 receptions for just over 300 yards and 3 TDs.

Oh, and it's not like he's been Injured the entire time either as he's played over 20 games in that time frame.

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXGXXGoodMa00.htm&t=0

Jesus.... Now I remember why I left for over a year.

Edited by mrags

Good hands and good speed are the two tools that I feel you can't teach at WR, and at 6 feet tall he isn't super small. So I liked the pick from that perspective as I think you can teach him better route running over the next couple of years. I don't expect much from him this year, maybe they try to run some sets to get him out in some space or throw a bomb to him a few times. But I doubt he contributes much this year. But maybe after a full off-season and rookie year he goes into 2017 a bit more polished and then real progression begins to happen. It's really the type of player you should take in round 6, 2-3 great tools you can't teach but will need a lot of raw development time.

Nice tools to work with for a 6th rounder yessir. Let's see if Lal is as good as we've been telling ourselves he is. :)

I could see Listenbee getting reps this year because he seems able to track it and catch it. Roman loves his buttonhook routes and newbie may get a cup of coffee just doing that and blazing 9 routes in certain 3 WR sets.

Edited by Aaron

Yes, his body might not be built for the NFL, but Goodwin's pretty darn good as a receiver.

Goodwin and Antonio Brown of the Steelers are the same exact height and weight. Brown has played through entire seasons, and has been considered an elite WR. Goodwin is just injury prone. It really doesn't matter if he's a good receiver or not. If you're not on the field, you are of no use. If you're a good employee yet never show up to work will you keep your job? I doubt it. The guy is a track athlete turned WR. Other small wideouts like Brown or Edelman are football players. Time for the Goodwin fans to give up. I strangely see a few popping up on this post.

Yep, I was referring to Woods. You actually pointed out one problem on this team we are just beginning to solve : there are too many players named Williams. Right now on a roster approaching 80 inflated for training camp, there are 5 players named Williams. Is this a problem?

Nope.

However this is a real oddity.

Think about it,

When one thinks of common last names in this society, I am not sure of the true stats but Smith and Jones are examples of twp likely common last names.

However, thanks to the drafting of Cardale from OSU, there is now one Jones. Even odder there are no Smiths on this roster whatsoever.

In the face of this on a roughly 80 man roster there are 5 men named Williams.

Oh well, in a society where our President has Hussein as a middle name I guess having 5 of 50+ player named Williams is simply a statisticalk oddity and I will leave it to the many number hounds who are on the Wall to tell us how odd this fact is and how odd that there are so many more Williams than Smiths or Jones combines is?

http://www.namestatistics.com/lastname/williams

If Listenbee and Goodwin are both on the field at once stretching things it could be interesting, but that needs to scare teams so hopefully they get it on tape so the defense needs to back off

this is very true. Kolby needs to get some NFL reps early. Some preseason tape would do wonders

always been my opinion

Goodwin and Antonio Brown of the Steelers are the same exact height and weight. Brown has played through entire seasons, and has been considered an elite WR. Goodwin is just injury prone. It really doesn't matter if he's a good receiver or not. If you're not on the field, you are of no use. If you're a good employee yet never show up to work will you keep your job? I doubt it. The guy is a track athlete turned WR. Other small wideouts like Brown or Edelman are football players. Time for the Goodwin fans to give up. I strangely see a few popping up on this post.

He has one more year on the contract.

If he gets cut this year? That is when i give up on a Bills player. I am no Mario

this is very true. Kolby needs to get some NFL reps early. Some preseason tape would do wonders

always been my opinion

He has one more year on the contract.

If he gets cut this year? That is when i give up on a Bills player. I am no Mario

Fair enough. I hope he turns into a star this year. I want this team to win. I just believe that there is no chance he'll do anything this season. I expect him to either get cut this summer, or get injuried early in the season. There is no reason to expect anything else imo.

Fair enough. I hope he turns into a star this year. I want this team to win. I just believe that there is no chance he'll do anything this season. I expect him to either get cut this summer, or get injuried early in the season. There is no reason to expect anything else imo.

I am not going to defend him.

But i will still root for him.

Really would like to see Sammy, Glass and Listenbee on the field running like hell and Tyrod just heaving it over the coverage!

Yup. Getting an NFL corner in your grill that screws up your release off the line is a whole lot different than some college punk trying to guard you.

I'd be surprised if he makes the team, considering we cut some very good receivers last year at camp and we already have 5 they'll likely keep if you count Easley. But the dude has attitude and is really cocky, so maybe he'll spunk his way onto the 53 man roster and beat the odds.

Because of his speed, no D coordinator is going to chuck him at the Line of scrimmage. One move & he has a long TD. They will most likely play off him.