Best Bills Draft Ever?

Where do I say Mario had an excuse for quitting? You won't find it because I have never said it. My point was purely the idea that just getting Mario trying would have saved the defense is flawed. Even when all 11 were on it the defense was not good last year.

I don't want to make this about Rex again. I have said what I thought about the job he did last year. The good news is he got players who can come in and make an immediate impact on the defense. The biggest improvement we need to see on that side of the ball in my mind though is coaching.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really appreciate Mario's effort prior to last year....

but

A Large Garbage can filled with fisheads would have been more productive then Mario Williams last year.

If you actually look at the physical abilities and combine that with level of efforts.....we should be MUCH more productive from that spot....which in turn should make this defense rise several spots

Hughes wont have to provide all the pass rush....which should help a lot.

He did still tie for the team lead in sacks. It was an awful system for most of our players.

He did still tie for the team lead in sacks. It was an awful system for most of our players.

Which is why we needed another year of retooling the offense......

Shaq Lawson looks to me like he actually CAN drop back in coverage a bit......which is needed when Rex is trying to run multiple defense......

Then they follow it up with a thumper/enforcer

Then they followed it up with what looks to me like a DE for a 3/4 that can get after a passer

We needed to retool a bit so that it was NOT a aweful system for our players

Now lets just see

Mario only quit after London. He was trying before that and he tried his ass off that day. The scheme was brutal. I have said my piece on Rex in 2015 many times on this forum. But I am putting that aside and going "all in" until the games start in September. Rex has a couple of very good players who he was obviously happy fitted his scheme. Now it is on him.

Mario was a great player for this team for 3 years but if Lawson gives it his all in 2016 he will be better than 2015 Mario.

All in? you mean "Fully Pregnant" right? If so I agree, Rex has his players and got his brother fully pregnant, he has no excuses this year.

Posting for the first time in months.

I'm the pessimist a-hole on this board.

I've never seen the Bills draft this well ever. EVER.

That is all.

I've never seen them draft this well ever, but I wasn't in Buffalo in the 1980s, and they had two HOFs from the 1985 class.

I really thought Whaley's first draft as GM in 2014 fit this description, but Kouandjio hasn't panned out...yet.

I can think of a few drafts where we've come away with at least 2 solid starters. I'd consider that the baseline. 3 solid starters would be great. 4 would be best ever.

I'm going to say that I believe in our first two picks as solid starters with picks 3, 4, and 6 as wild cards.

I'll let you know next year

To me I say best draft since Andre Reed's days. I am very happy. Well thought out picks. Some immediate need mixed with developmental potential stars in rounds 4 thru 6

I was Just a kid in those days old enough to understand the game and enJoy it not old enough to care about the draft, and I never had cable in buffalo so I didnt even know sports center existed at that time. Did they televise the draft back then too?

Very good draft. Wouldvr preferred Billings over Washington bc we need a nose but I'm very happy with it.

I think this is something to note. Didn't take Reader either. Maybe fans do not know what Rex is up to ?

Expected a 0 tech

I'm fine with the first 3 picks actually. My issue is that they're all reasonably calculated to make the Bills as good as they were in 2014 and 2015. Goodbye Mario, hello Lawson (worse than Mario 2014, better than Mario 2015). Goodbye Brandon Spikes, hello Ragland. Goodbye Stefan Charles, hello Adolphus Washington. I'm just not seeing a plan to get beyond the "we project at 8-8, maybe if we get a few lucky bounces or some other teams tank we can squeak into the playoffs in 2016." It was a cautious draft; I think we needed a bold draft.

Trading up to get Ragland. Pretty cautious. Gambling on Cardale's potential. Very cautious. To hell with the salary cap! Let's act like it doesn't exist and keep every player we want.

I really like last year's draft, so I certainly don't count as a draft day naysayer. But ... I really, really don't like this year's draft.

- guy with a shoulder injury who isn't considered an elite talent at 19th overall. Yes, it was 19th overall, not in the top 5, but if there's any injury risk at all (beyond the norm), I'd like to see elite talent. Think Myles Jack.

- guy thought to be a 2-down linebacker in Round 2. OK, but is there much upside there?

- passed on all QBs who have a realistic chance of being ready to start when Tyrod's contract is up after this season.

- a RB in the 4th round. Is he clearly better than a guy you could get as an UDFA? History would suggest no.

- a speedburner receiver in the 5th. Yes, it's the 5th. But haven't Graham and Goodwin taught them anything?

- most importantly: unaddressed pressing needs, mostly on the O line.

My issue is this was a draft a clear playoff team should have. A couple good solid starters or roleplayers in the first 2 rounds, the kind that don't have true star potential but can add depth and fill a need. An obsession with QB size/athleticism that served them so well the last time around with EJ? ... an obsession with speed at WR that has failed 3 times in a row if you count signing Harvin.

I'd say it's the worst I've felt about a draft in recent memory ...

This is sarcasm right ?

Look, if by some miracle Rex gets his coaching mind together, and Just TWO of our first three picks work out, your'e looking at a top front seven in the NFL.

Ragland is ready to play. -He could start tomorrow. And the kid simply cannot be blocked... -Once Adolphus Washington gets in the weight room, and learns some technique, he's going to collapse pockets.

Shaq Lawson has the physical gifts, but he's goig to have to learn everything from scratch... It'll be a lot of work.

And I can't think of two better guys to absorb from and compete with than KW and Marcel.

Now to Cardale...-The best pick for an OC like Roman... Unlike Manuel, Cardale is a self-starter... Cerebral, and able to improve without constant tuteledge... Naturally accurate, and elusive as a runner... He's a ballerina in the pocket, and a sprinter outside of it....YES, he's entirely capable of taking Tyrod Taylor's Job... Great news because the competition will bring us closer to finding our franchise signal caller... All in all, a shockingly good draft.

:angry: Though I still wish i got my 6'4 WR.

I think this is Whaleys best draft ON PAPER. Because ON PAPER We out drafted everyone in the AFC East easily. We got 3 day one starters with Shaq OLB/DE, Reggie ILB, and Listenbee (WR3), 2 stud depth players in Adolphus Washington at DT (to replace Kyle eventually), and the best Williams available pick at RB we took in the 5th that had a 3rd round grade (we are a running team, now we have 4 capable RBs, 3 young with upside that are not named Bryce Brown and Boom Heron), a developmental boom or bust QB that could be Cam 2.0 or clip holder 2.0, and a CB that had a 1st round grade before the season started until the shenanigans at USC kinda shaded him in the media. We filled every whole our defense had except for Saftey. Listenbee has less of a chance of getting inJured then Goodwin bc he has more weight and is a little taller. Listenbee is great to have bc even though he has to work on his route tree, he kills people on the Go route and thats gonna take a safety off Watkins after one of TTs long bombs to Listenbee burns them for a TD. I am pleased with this draft even though S and RT went un-addressed. ON PAPER it was a great draft and we did better then the rest of the AFCE. As we all know games arent played on paper so its gonna be a nice long 3 months before **** gets real.

So you're saying there's a chance...

Look, if by some miracle Rex gets his coaching mind together, and Just TWO of our first three picks work out, your'e looking at a top front seven in the NFL.

Ragland is ready to play. -He could start tomorrow. And the kid simply cannot be blocked... -Once Adolphus Washington gets in the weight room, and learns some technique, he's going to collapse pockets.

Shaq Lawson has the physical gifts, but he's goig to have to learn everything from scratch... It'll be a lot of work.

And I can't think of two better guys to absorb from and compete with than KW and Marcel.

Now to Cardale...-The best pick for an OC like Roman... Unlike Manuel, Cardale is a self-starter... Cerebral, and able to improve without constant tuteledge... Naturally accurate, and elusive as a runner... He's a ballerina in the pocket, and a sprinter outside of it....YES, he's entirely capable of taking Tyrod Taylor's Job... Great news because the competition will bring us closer to finding our franchise signal caller... All in all, a shockingly good draft.

:angry: Though I still wish i got my 6'4 WR.

Were there 6 4 wr's available even in the first?

Regarding C. Jones......I think what you see with him is a QB that is not afraid to throw the ball.....EJ is just too damn cautious.....he wont pull the trigger.

I am excited to see our new QB toy...in training camp and pre season....then I want him put away with a sign that says.."do not open for a year"

Were there 6 4 wr's available even in the first?

Regarding C. Jones......I think what you see with him is a QB that is not afraid to throw the ball.....EJ is just too damn cautious.....he wont pull the trigger.

I am excited to see our new QB toy...in training camp and pre season....then I want him put away with a sign that says.."do not open for a year"

EJ has no problem pulling the trigger. There just has to be a Jaguar in his sights