Best Bills Draft Ever?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like last year's draft, so I certainly don't count as a draft day naysayer. But ... I really, really don't like this year's draft.

- guy with a shoulder injury who isn't considered an elite talent at 19th overall. Yes, it was 19th overall, not in the top 5, but if there's any injury risk at all (beyond the norm), I'd like to see elite talent. Think Myles Jack.

- guy thought to be a 2-down linebacker in Round 2. OK, but is there much upside there?

- passed on all QBs who have a realistic chance of being ready to start when Tyrod's contract is up after this season.

- a RB in the 4th round. Is he clearly better than a guy you could get as an UDFA? History would suggest no.

- a speedburner receiver in the 5th. Yes, it's the 5th. But haven't Graham and Goodwin taught them anything?

- most importantly: unaddressed pressing needs, mostly on the O line.

My issue is this was a draft a clear playoff team should have. A couple good solid starters or roleplayers in the first 2 rounds, the kind that don't have true star potential but can add depth and fill a need. An obsession with QB size/athleticism that served them so well the last time around with EJ? ... an obsession with speed at WR that has failed 3 times in a row if you count signing Harvin.

I'd say it's the worst I've felt about a draft in recent memory ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I really like last year's draft, so I certainly don't count as a draft day naysayer. But ... I really, really don't like this year's draft.

- guy with a shoulder injury who isn't considered an elite talent at 19th overall. Yes, it was 19th overall, not in the top 5, but if there's any injury risk at all (beyond the norm), I'd like to see elite talent. Think Myles Jack.

- guy thought to be a 2-down linebacker in Round 2. OK, but is there much upside there?

- passed on all QBs who have a realistic chance of being ready to start when Tyrod's contract is up after this season.

- a RB in the 4th round. Is he clearly better than a guy you could get as an UDFA? History would suggest no.

- a speedburner receiver in the 5th. Yes, it's the 5th. But haven't Graham and Goodwin taught them anything?

My issue is this was a draft a clear playoff team should have. A couple good roleplayers in the first 2 rounds, the kind that don't have star potential but can add depth and fill a need. An obsession with QB size/athleticism that served them so well the last time around with EJ? ... an obsession with speed at WR that has failed 3 times in a row if you count signing Harvin.

Thanks for making me hate this team again. I knew I was wrong to be positive. See you guys again in a few months.

My issue is this was a draft a clear playoff team should have. A couple good solid starters or roleplayers in the first 2 rounds, the kind that don't have true star potential but can add depth and fill a need. An obsession with QB size/athleticism that served them so well the last time around with EJ? ... an obsession with speed at WR that has failed 3 times in a row if you count signing Harvin.

So you didn't like a single one of our picks. Amazing. Most fans and draft analysts agree. This was an excellent draft for the Bills. If these picks didn't excite you, I doubt that anyone they drafted in their place would have either.

I really like last year's draft, so I certainly don't count as a draft day naysayer. But ... I really, really don't like this year's draft ...

Lawson and Ragland are 3 down immediate starters, I think.

The rest are role players that make sense. Kyle only has so much time left, so they need young talent behind him. The speedy WR is a need in this offense. No matter how many of those guys get injured, they simply need that role player to open up the offense. Using a 6th round pick on him is nothing to complain about.

Personally, I don't think Cardale will amount to anything, but he fits the system and was taken at the right spot (4th round).

Even though Myles Jack DEFINATELY has an injury that might now allow him to get to his next contract....meanwhile Shaq (who was supposed to go top 10) has a shoulder thing that has not hampered him in any way at all and has been checked out by doctors. Even if he needs the surgury its a shoulder....not a knee like Myles Jack.

In case your not watching the current NFL.....most LB's are becoming 2 down players because they put safeties on the field on 3rd down. Even so.....Reggie Ragland is no Brandon Spikes....he needs to keep his weight down and then he actually has some movement skills. Even so....another 1st round talent taken in the 2nd round.

NONE of these QBs are starting....even Wentz and Goff might have to sit the bench for a while.....so they took a high upside QB with all the tools with the intention of having him play the assback for a year.

When players started going down this last year.....we were playing guys like Boom Herron and UDFA running backs....injury after injury.......it was not until the 3/4 point of the year we got lucky with Gillaslee.....translation....WE ARE A RUNNING TEAM AND NEED A STABLE OF RBs that can actually play.....this Wiliams kid is a STUD

So we should stop trying to draft speed when our QB has a nice deep ball? Really.

My issue is this was a draft a clear playoff team should have. A couple good roleplayers in the first 2 rounds, the kind that don't have star potential but can add depth and fill a need. An obsession with QB size/athleticism that served them so well the last time around with EJ? ... an obsession with speed at WR that has failed 3 times in a row if you count signing Harvin.

If you look a little closer....You can see they stuck fairly close to their board while filling needs at nearly every postiion.

I think we are gonna get to preseason and your gonna already be changing your tune.

So you didn't like a single one of our picks. Amazing. Most fans and draft analysts agree. This was an excellent draft for the Bills. If these picks didn't excite you, I doubt that anyone they drafted in their place would have either.

I'm fine with the first 3 picks actually. My issue is that they're all reasonably calculated to make the Bills as good as they were in 2014 and 2015. Goodbye Mario, hello Lawson (worse than Mario 2014, better than Mario 2015). Goodbye Brandon Spikes, hello Ragland. Goodbye Stefan Charles, hello Adolphus Washington. I'm just not seeing a plan to get beyond the "we project at 8-8, maybe if we get a few lucky bounces or some other teams tank we can squeak into the playoffs in 2016." It was a cautious draft; I think we needed a bold draft.

Even though Myles Jack DEFINATELY has an injury that might now allow him to get to his next contract....meanwhile Shaq (who was supposed to go top 10) has a shoulder thing that has not hampered him in any way at all and has been checked out by doctors. Even if he needs the surgury its a shoulder....not a knee like Myles Jack.

In case your not watching the current NFL.....most LB's are becoming 2 down players because they put safeties on the field on 3rd down. Even so.....Reggie Ragland is no Brandon Spikes....he needs to keep his weight down and then he actually has some movement skills. Even so....another 1st round talent taken in the 2nd round.

NONE of these QBs are starting....even Wentz and Goff might have to sit the bench for a while.....so they took a high upside QB with all the tools with the intention of having him play the assback for a year.

When players started going down this last year.....we were playing guys like Boom Herron and UDFA running backs....injury after injury.......it was not until the 3/4 point of the year we got lucky with Gillaslee.....translation....WE ARE A RUNNING TEAM AND NEED A STABLE OF RBs that can actually play.....this Wiliams kid is a STUD

So we should stop trying to draft speed when our QB has a nice deep ball? Really.

If you look a little closer....You can see they stuck fairly close to their board while filling needs at nearly every postiion.

I think we are gonna get to preseason and your gonna already be changing your tune.

On the last comment -- I sure hope so!

I'm fine with the first 3 picks actually. My issue is that they're all reasonably calculated to make the Bills as good as they were in 2014 and 2015. Goodbye Mario, hello Lawson (worse than Mario 2014, better than Mario 2015). Goodbye Brandon Spikes, hello Ragland. Goodbye Stefan Charles, hello Adolphus Washington. I'm just not seeing a plan to get beyond the "we project at 8-8, maybe if we get a few lucky bounces or some other teams tank we can squeak into the playoffs in 2016." It was a cautious draft; I think we needed a bold draft.

We did not need a bold draft....we needed a boring solid draft with many contributing players......which it looks like we got

I agree with everything J from H says. Two keys to Rex's front seven. A third piece to the front seven that can have a role now and maybe a big role in the future. Support in the run game, a speedster at 200 lbs and I agree that there were no outstanding QBs this year, so with what is really a 5th (given the number) we take a flyer on a QB that might have an upside. This was an excellent draft.

It sure seems like you made a choice to not like any of these picks. You could literally give a one sentence analysis of every player that reads like the player is a bust waiting to happen. It's Buffalo Bills football here, it's supposed to be a hobby that we enjoy.

We took a running back in the 5th not the 4th and we took a receiver in the 6th not the 5th.

I don't love the day 3 picks... Cardale is worth a shot (though I don't really have that much confidence in him making it) and I am fine with the value.

Don't love another running back and whilst I haven't seen a lot of the Listenbee kid I am not a fan of these pure speed guys we keep drafting. Seymour is actually my favourite of the day 3 picks. I think he will compete for the nickel job and might be a solid role player going forward in sub packages.

However, I LOVE what we did in day 1 and I like a lot what we did in day 2. Who knows how things look in a couple of years but I suspect Lawson will be a star and Ragland a very solid starter.

Edited by GunnerBill

Because we're sooo tantalizingly close to being a Super Bowl team? Because we're set a pivotal positions (including QB) for the next several years? Why?

What caused us to to miss the playoffs last year?

- The D dropped 15 spots

- We took lots of injury hits on offense

We still finished 8 and 8

Dont look at it like we should be going to the Super Bowl next year....look at it like we need to end our 15 year playoff drought......LETS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS FIRST

We gotta stand up before we can run

Because we're sooo tantalizingly close to being a Super Bowl team? Because we're set a pivotal positions (including QB) for the next several years? Why?

This is weird. You said you're fine with the first 3 picks. Who were they going to get in rounds 4-6 that would be an immediate starter?

This was a great draft!

First two picks will likely be day 1 starters

Third pick will play when Kyle Williams can't, and will replace Kyle in 2017

Fourth pick is a great type of QB to try to develop. Sits and learns this year. By the end of the season, the coaches will know what his ceiling is, what Tyrod is capable of, and how to move forward for 2017.

Fifth pick is a great round to take a RB. The Bills style of offense requires that they have healthy RB's. This guy looks like he has the type of running style that works well in the NFL.

Sixth pick is a very fast WR. At best this position gets 4-5 targets per game. (Watkins, Clay, Shady going to each out touch the WR3/4) Why draft it Sooner?

Seventh pick is a fast corner from a major program from a major conference. Maybe he makes it, maybe he is a special teamer. An argument could be made to take a corner sooner because it is a position of frequent injury. It might be an emphasis of the team for UDFA.

Great job Buffalo Bills!

Edited by Jkgobills

It sure seems like you made a choice to not like any of these picks. You could literally give a one sentence analysis of every player that reads like the player is a bust waiting to happen. It's Buffalo Bills football here, it's supposed to be a hobby that we enjoy.

Not at all. I really liked last year's draft. Darby? I had those "character" concerns that everyone had, but the talent was obvious and it was a bold move for a team that needed to make a jump forward. John Miller? Obvious need, not hard to upgrade over Pears. This year? Not seeing it.

Actually Shaq is the only Edge Rusher in the whole draft to fit the "Force player" metrics NFL teams use to base career trending predictions on, which place him among ProBowlers like JJ Watt, etc...I understand

my thoughts exactly. Nice counters guy.

Haha. There's a lot to like in this draft. I just hope we didn't draft scheme specific players. I'm so sick sick of using resources to keep drafting guys who "fit the system."

If Rex's defense doesn't show major improvement, he will be gone. So hopefully we won't have to spend more resources to retool the defense yet again.

A site whose name must not be mentioned came up with a couple amusing comps. My favorite:

Cardale Jones - "Terrelle Pryor trying not to look too much like Terrelle Pryor"

Terelle Pryor is not the same type of QB as C. Jones

also

They wont be handled the same way....you wont hear much at all about him for a year....its gonna be the TT and EJ Manuel show

Just like everybody was up in arms with the WTF pick of Darby in round 2 last year....how did that work out?

This is weird. You said you're fine with the first 3 picks. Who were they going to get in rounds 4-6 that would be an immediate starter?

I'm fine with them in a vacuum. I'm not fine with them as part of a strategy to actually get this team out of 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 purgatory. So what would I have done? First, take a chance on a QB. I liked Paxton Lynch. I don't think Lawson was such a compelling player that you should be o.k. with heading into 2017 without a backup plan to Tyrod (hoping he can be at least as good as last year, hoping you can re-sign him, hoping he stay healthy).

I think this is Whaleys best draft ON PAPER. Because ON PAPER We out drafted everyone in the AFC East easily. We got 3 day one starters with Shaq OLB/DE, Reggie ILB, and Listenbee (WR3), 2 stud depth players in Adolphus Washington at DT (to replace Kyle eventually), and the best Williams available pick at RB we took in the 5th that had a 3rd round grade (we are a running team, now we have 4 capable RBs, 3 young with upside that are not named Bryce Brown and Boom Heron), a developmental boom or bust QB that could be Cam 2.0 or clip holder 2.0, and a CB that had a 1st round grade before the season started until the shenanigans at USC kinda shaded him in the media. We filled every whole our defense had except for Saftey. Listenbee has less of a chance of getting inJured then Goodwin bc he has more weight and is a little taller. Listenbee is great to have bc even though he has to work on his route tree, he kills people on the Go route and thats gonna take a safety off Watkins after one of TTs long bombs to Listenbee burns them for a TD. I am pleased with this draft even though S and RT went un-addressed. ON PAPER it was a great draft and we did better then the rest of the AFCE. As we all know games arent played on paper so its gonna be a nice long 3 months before **** gets real.

Terelle Pryor is not the same type of QB as C. Jones

also

They wont be handled the same way....you wont hear much at all about him for a year....its gonna be the TT and EJ Manuel show

I think jones has better NFL skills than Pryor but Pryor was a more accomplished player than Jones in college.

I'm fine with them in a vacuum. I'm not fine with them as part of a strategy to actually get this team out of 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 purgatory. So what would I have done? First, take a chance on a QB. I liked Paxton Lynch. I don't think Lawson was such a compelling player that you should be o.k. with heading into 2017 without a backup plan to Tyrod (hoping he can be at least as good as last year, hoping you can re-sign him, hoping he stay healthy).

My personal opinion is that Paxton Lynch sucks. I'm not high on Cardale, either, but he was a much better value.

I would stake $100 dollars on Shaq Lawson being a better NFL player than Paxton Lynch. Lawson is going to be a beast. Lynch will be a bust.

EDIT: and no homerism here. I am on record with both those opinions prior to the draft.

Edited by GunnerBill

Haha. There's a lot to like in this draft. I just hope we didn't draft scheme specific players. I'm so sick sick of using resources to keep drafting guys who "fit the system."

If Rex's defense doesn't show major improvement, he will be gone. So hopefully we won't have to spend more resources to retool the defense yet again.

I think thats why Whaley took Adolphus over Billings when I thought about scheme specific creelies. Shaq is a 4-3 DE that can play 3-4 ER. Only Ragland is scheme based but even then he would take Spikes spot (that we never replaced last off-season) if Rex gets fired and we go back to a 4-3