RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Going into a season where are going for and have a legit shot at the playoffs with a 4th round rookie project as 2nd string behind a running/somewhat injury prone QB would be beyond dumb IMHO.

i will never forgive Marrone for going into the season in 2013 with nothing more than 2 rookies at QB, one of them a UDFA. This wouldn't be as bad as that, but it would make no sense to cut EJ this year.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into a season where are going for and have a legit shot at the playoffs with a 4th round rookie project as 2nd string behind a running/somewhat injury prone QB would be beyond dumb IMHO.

EJ Manuel is the definition of replacement level. If that becomes an issue a roster move can be filled at the time to address that situation.

Wasted pick. A guy who only started a handful of games in college. At this point why even bother taking a QB. Had to be a better use for a 4th round pick.

There had to be? Do you have some examples of who might have made a better selection at that point in the draft?

They took a chance on a QB with plus physical skills. I often read on this board how the Bills never address the QB position in the draft, etc. etc. Then they draft a QB and some people get upset. Why? Maybe he pans out maybe he doesn't. At the point in the draft Jones was selected he's as good a selection as any other.

i will never forgive Marrone for going into the season in 2013 with nothing more than 2 rookies at QB, one of them a UDFA. This wouldn't be as bad as that, but it would make no sense to cut EJ this year.

Don't worry, Whaley signed Kolb da great.

There had to be? Do you have some examples of who might have made a better selection at that point in the draft?

They took a chance on a QB with plus physical skills. I often read on this board how the Bills never address the QB position in the draft, etc. etc. Then they draft a QB and some people get upset. Why? Maybe he pans out maybe he doesn't. At the point in the draft Jones was selected he's as good a selection as any other.

It's because when they do, they make a horrible pick.

EJ Manuel is the definition of replacement level. If that becomes an issue a roster move can be filled at the time to address that situation.

I disagree. 2nd string QB, especially behind a running QB who can have his head torn off on any play, isd too important to have a scrub/project/rookie to fill. Cut some special teams guy that never plays instead if you HAVE to cut somebody.

He is SO wrong SO often, that there are actual NFL personnel guys and scouts that look at this board a few times a day to get assurances on which guys have no chance and which guys have a lot of potential, based solely on the inverse of Barbarian's evaluations. It's really a shrewd way of scouting.

Honestly, I treat his posts on any subject as a contra-indicator. I know nothing about Cardale except that Buffalo Barbarian hates him...so I assume he's going to be good.

Just got home and read the news and this whole thread. minus Beers deletes. I can assume who and what they were ; )

I am delighted.

Whaley and company picked the right guy at the right time.

This has been one hell of a draft by the Bills. Lets hope they find a cherry to top it off with. perhaps WR and O lineman.

Very pleased indeed with Cardale because of risk reward ratio, if he flops no one gets hurt. He gets time to develop ( best time to pick a QB ) and he might actually become very decent.

just a smart pick imo.

and i would not have been pleased if they took him in the third at all.

Cheers !!

:beer:

Love the pick, love the guy. For most of last season I banged my head and cursed Urban Meyer for not playing the other QB (JT Barrett). The offense was a bit boring with Cardale. Once Meyer made the switch and Barrett playex i knew instantly what Urban was doing all along. There is little that Cardale can't do. You just can't teach 6'5" 260#.

Receivers come open in this league if you can buy an extra second. Cardale can do that with his size and athleticism. AND make the throw 60+ yds down field. Basically a 5th round flyer, with his upside... Seems a no-brainer

I'm going to try this one more time.

I understand your feelings regarding Jones. You have made them clear. If you have something of substance to add to the conversation please do so. If you are going to keep regurgitating the same stuff then it is time for you to stop.

He's a fourth round pick, basically fifth round. What's horrible about the pick in that case? He's a project. So are all the other QB's they would have taken at that point. He has better physical traits and arm strength than all of them.

He's a fourth round pick, basically fifth round. What's horrible about the pick in that case? He's a project. So are all the other QB's they would have taken at that point. He has better physical traits and arm strength than all of them.

That about sums it up, they got a guy with a high ceiling who fits what Roman wants to do and it was at a good value. There was some discussion of Cardale going much higher due to sheer potential but the Bill stayed put and let the board come to them. If they had drafted a QB in an earlier round it would have jeopardized the support that Taylor has amongst his peers. Now Cardale and sit and develop and there is no immediate risk of a QB controversy. EJ's money is guaranteed and that gives us a year to keep Cardale stashed on the bench.

I love it. So much upside, so much potential and if it goes kaboom, well it was only the past pick of the 4th round.

It's like buying a cheap stock with a ton of upside.

If he pans out best case scenario 2 years from now he is our franchise an for the next decade as a late 4th round pick. Most likely scenario he becomes a cheaper option as a backup. Worst case he flames out. Not a big investment I don't see a single issue with this.

Not true. My uneducated eyes tell me that UM tried to force Jones into his system. That system doesn't match Jones' skill set. Watch a bit of footage from 14 and then 15. You'll see that the offenses were nothing like each other. Why Meyer decided to try to fit a round peg into a square hole is beyond me.

He played 3 games in 2014. Too small a sample size.