What Front Do We Run?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he specify LB or just say he's setting the egde opposite of Hughes?

Set the edge opposite of Hughes

Rush speed to power

Will give them second rusher off edge

Versatility to go inside in nickel and sub-packages vs interior OL

5 technique on passing downs

Stand up OLB either right or left

Can rush from inside or out

Those are Whaley's direct quotes from last night

Edited by YoloinOhio

Someone did something like this with Nkemdiche and I like it for Lawson too

3-4 Base

Shaq NT Dareus

Lawson Hughes

Z Brown P Brown

Nickel

Shaq WIlliams Dareus Hughes

Z Brown P Brown

Gives Williams some rest while not asking too much from your NT or Lawson. I wonder what others think.

Plug in Jack at LB and Reader at NT and this defense looks sick :thumbsup:

Someone did something like this with Nkemdiche and I like it for Lawson too

3-4 Base

Shaq NT Dareus

Lawson Hughes

Z Brown P Brown

Nickel

Shaq WIlliams Dareus Hughes

Z Brown P Brown

Gives Williams some rest while not asking too much from your NT or Lawson. I wonder what others think.

Don't see this happening. Moving a nose tackle on and off the field shows your hand. The DLinemen need to be able to play multiple positions. I tend to think that Dareus will still be a nose and a DE. Shaq will be a DE/LB. Kyle could even play nose occasionally. Edited by Rockinon

Rush speed to power

Thanks! :beer:

Rush speed to power

So is Whaley involved in coaching now? Let the guy get on the practice field at least before it's determined how he's going to be used.

Now that we have Shaq, I want to ask the defense minded posters a simple question: How the hell do we use him?

Yes, I get that he is an edge rusher. But he is a rather different player than Mario Williams. How do you balance him with with a more speed rusher with Hughes, and two very different tackles in Dareus and Kyle. Do you try to get to the front you had with Pettine? Do you take a DE or NT and try to replicate the 46 defense? Something entirely different?

Now that we have Shaq, can we find a Kobe?

There's actually a Kolby, Listenbee, a WR from TCU.

So is Whaley involved in coaching now? Let the guy get on the practice field at least before it's determined how he's going to be used.

may want to listen to the interview before critizing. Rex wasn't at the presser and Whaley asked how he was going to be used. He answered. He also said it was up to the coaches and he was just providing a high level overview for the media and fans.

Before a draft pick is made, the GM is fully aware of how the player is intended to be used within the scheme in relation to the unit. They have been having meetings on this for many months. While it could vary after they take the practice field, it isn't a stretch to lay out the plan as he did.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think you'll see Dareus where you have Shaq - he's best at that spot - Kyle where you have Dareus - Barnes/draft pick at the nose and Shaq where you have Lawson.

I think thats quite viable as configuration too

Billings is still on the board

What would you rather have Whaley say.....he is trying to get the fan base excited about the pick....."you will need to ask Rex" just doesnt quite have the same ring to it.

Discussions between the coaching staff and scouting staff/GM related to player utilization happen as a routine part of the team's draft process. There should be zero heartburn with what he said.

Now that we have Shaq, I want to ask the defense minded posters a simple question: How the hell do we use him?

Yes, I get that he is an edge rusher. But he is a rather different player than Mario Williams. How do you balance him with with a more speed rusher with Hughes, and two very different tackles in Dareus and Kyle. Do you try to get to the front you had with Pettine? Do you take a DE or NT and try to replicate the 46 defense? Something entirely different?

3-4 all the way, check out why I think that my friend. http://www.cover1.net/2016/04/cover-1-film-room-shaq-lawson/

may want to listen to the interview before critizing. Rex wasn't at the presser and Whaley asked how he was going to be used. He answered. He also said it was up to the coaches and he was just providing a high level overview for the media and fans.

Before a draft pick is made, the GM is fully aware of how the player is intended to be used within the scheme in relation to the unit. They have been having meetings on this for many months. While it could vary after they take the practice field, it isn't a stretch to lay out the plan as he did.

I wasn't criticizing, she being a smarta$$.

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia 17s18 seconds ago

#Bills GM Doug Whaley: Ragland and Preston Brown will be on the field at the same time. Ragland will play the WILL.

Chris Brown @ChrisBrownBills 56s56 seconds ago

Whaley - we started w/ACC Player of Yr. we added SEC Defensive POY in Ragland. We're excited about what we've done with our defense. #Bills