Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

The opportunity cost of keeping Fitz is zero chance of making the playoffs for years to come as well...and paying a lot for that "privilege." He is what he is and if any team thought he could even take a team to the playoffs, he'd have been signed by now for what he wants, which is still low-end starter money.

And I don't know if the Bills have a franchise QB on the roster. That's what this year is for. As I've said before, I want to see TT slinging the ball all over the place to see whether he is one, before even considering paying him $20M/year.

2 things. 1. You nor anyone else knows that a Fitz led team will not make the playoffs. You might not think so, but that means little in the grand scheme of things. 2. This year is not to find out if Hotrod is a franchise QB, it's to end the dreaded playoff drought.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 things. 1. You nor anyone else knows that a Fitz led team will not make the playoffs. You might not think so, but that means little in the grand scheme of things. 2. This year is not to find out if Hotrod is a franchise QB, it's to end the dreaded playoff drought.

Past history tells me that it's highly unlikely that he'll lead a team to the playoffs. Much less consistently. And if TT shows he's a franchise QB, the Bills will make the playoffs.

Pretty much what I figured. The "$12M this year" if probably signing bonus and first year salary, leaving him to make $6M/year the last 2. Doubtful that gets it done.

Edited by Doc

How about these 3 ? Give the people what they want

3 ints in a must win game. Yep this is the guy. http://www.businessinsider.com/ryan-fitzpatrick-interceptions-no-playoffs-for-the-jets-2016-1

I was responding to a poster that said Fitz COULD NOT THROW THE LONG BALL. I see it made frequently. I just pointed out 2 examples of where he threw long balls that traveled over 50 yards in the air hitting the WR in stride right in the hands.

It does make posters look foolish, but I do see it here frequently.

And yes, he makes bad passes too, but, as shown, he CAN throw the long ball. :)

Edited by reddogblitz

OK, how about this one?

Now you are calling out Ryan L by showing footage of the game where Stevie dropped 5 passes. Cold, man......cold. :lol:

Seriously, we went thru this argument with Fitz years ago.........he was as likely to throw those passes 10 yards short and get them intercepted as he was to get them anywhere near the receiver.

His deep accuracy was atrocious in Buffalo........that was a heart breaker......what a story it would have been because when allowed to play pitch and catch short range he was really good and really tough and durable.....important after Trent......it would have been a great story.

Tom Brady being a 6th rounder has been a great story for NE but finding a franchise QB from Harvard of all places....... after he kicked around a couple teams already.....that would have been second only to Kurt Warner in terms of a modern find at QB.

@KMart_LI

To recap: * #Jets' offer has been on table since March * They actually want him for 3yrs * Fitz would get $12M in Year 1 * No other suitors

The #Jets want Fitz back as much as he wants to be back. And yet, his camp + the team can't just come to an agreement on this.

If no one else is interested, is Macc really going to up his offer? Or is Fitz going to sign it eventually after months of back+forth

@KMart_LI

To recap: * #Jets' offer has been on table since March * They actually want him for 3yrs * Fitz would get $12M in Year 1 * No other suitors

The #Jets want Fitz back as much as he wants to be back. And yet, his camp + the team can't just come to an agreement on this.

If no one else is interested, is Macc really going to up his offer? Or is Fitz going to sign it eventually after months of back+forth

WTB more Jets drama

Now you are calling out Ryan L by showing footage of the game where Stevie dropped 5 passes. Cold, man......cold. :lol:

Seriously, we went thru this argument with Fitz years ago.........he was as likely to throw those passes 10 yards short and get them intercepted as he was to get them anywhere near the receiver.

His deep accuracy was atrocious in Buffalo........that was a heart breaker......what a story it would have been because when allowed to play pitch and catch short range he was really good and really tough and durable.....important after Trent......it would have been a great story.

Tom Brady being a 6th rounder has been a great story for NE but finding a franchise QB from Harvard of all places....... after he kicked around a couple teams already.....that would have been second only to Kurt Warner in terms of a modern find at QB.

Fitz's downfall with the Bills was in large part being paired with a historically bad defenses and horrible WRs.

You mention Brady. When he started with NE they had a great D. Put him with the George Edwards/Dave Wannstedt Ds and it would have been a different story.

Fitz is a flawed QB no doubt, but he ain't nearly as bad as y'all make him out to be IMHO.

I haven't read the whole thread but in today's NFL Fitz is a $15M a year guy. Something like 3 years $45M with $20M guaranteed.

The Jets can't seriously consider Geno, Petty or Sackenberg. As much as they are trying to play hardball they aren't fooling anyone. I bet they get him cheaper than the numbers I threw out but more than what they are offering. It will be a good value in today's market but quite a bit more than $8M per. They probably settle somewhere between $12-$13M.

Good article on situation rather than the constant regurgitation of same leaked contract number $12 million on first year of contract.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60610/jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-standoff-could-use-a-word-from-ron-burgundy

Some people might be wondering why the Jets can't give Fitzpatrick an incentive-laden contract, providing the chance to earn big money if he performs. They could, but Fitzpatrick probably wouldn't want to go that route. He knows he'd have a tough time attaining "Not Likely to be Earned" incentives (NLTBEs), which don't count against the cap, because he posted career numbers last season.

I was responding to a poster that said Fitz COULD NOT THROW THE LONG BALL. I see it made frequently. I just pointed out 2 examples of where he threw long balls that traveled over 50 yards in the air hitting the WR in stride right in the hands.

It does make posters look foolish, but I do see it here frequently.

And yes, he makes bad passes too, but, as shown, he CAN throw the long ball. :)

Both pretty passes, but neither 50 yards. The Stevie pass was thrown from the 50 and hit Stevie at about the two yard line the first time he touched it, and the T.O. pass was thrown from about three yards deep and caught at the 45.

He threw one ball over 50 that I ever saw, it went around 56 yards and was on a kind of a little bootleg to the left motion and he was going at a full run towards the LOS when he threw it. Other than that nobody's ever shown a 50 yard pass with the Bills by Fitz.

48 yards is a pretty long ball, though.

It's not my money, but I see that being fair. Fitz is a bridge QB. He's good enough until the Jets figure out who is their next shot at a franchise QB. $12 mil is right, and another year older he gets top tier back up money with $6 / yr for two years.

With all of the money he's already made, another $24 to take a shot or two at the playoffs makes sense. The jets could sweeten it by placing a clause if he wins a playoff game this year, the additional $12 would be guaranteed in year 2, and he could always negotiate for a third.

The debate about Fitz keeps going since he was here. His accuracy is diminished deep, but he played on a bad less talented Bills team. He has a team now that has a great deal of talent. I'd love to see them steal a game from the Pats.

I haven't read the whole thread but in today's NFL Fitz is a $15M a year guy. Something like 3 years $45M with $20M guaranteed.

The Jets can't seriously consider Geno, Petty or Sackenberg. As much as they are trying to play hardball they aren't fooling anyone. I bet they get him cheaper than the numbers I threw out but more than what they are offering. It will be a good value in today's market but quite a bit more than $8M per. They probably settle somewhere between $12-$13M.

Even if they sign him to a three year deal it will probably be structured so it is in reality a two year deal. I disagree with your view that he is a $15M player in the this NFL market. If he were there would be other teams interested in him, even if it was as a bridge qb i.e. temporary solution. No team other than the Jets is interested in him. That is a reflection of his market value.

I don't think you are too far off the mark that a possible deal can be structured with a $20M guarantee. For a two year period of time it averages out in real numbers to be a two year deal for $20M.

The Jets with a new GM and a new and more mature HC surprised a lot of people by making a quantum leap forward from the previous year. They went from a 4 win (Rex) season to a 10 win season. Sure it was disappointing that they didn't make the playoffs when it was within reach but taking a wider perspective they had a successful season.

The next issue the GM needs to address is finding a long term franchise qb. It certainly is not Fitz, and everyone who is sober knows that. The Jets know very well that you don't pay bridge qbs substantial money when your transcendent goal is to find a better option. Is Hachenberg the answer? Not for next year. But by drafting him in the second round it indicates that the organization believes that he has the potential to become their franchise qb. Fitz is a useful holding place qb for them. Nothing more. If you are smart you don't pay premium $$$ for that role. And by their current negotiating stance they are being smart.

Even if they sign him to a three year deal it will probably be structured so it is in reality a two year deal. I disagree with your view that he is a $15M player in the this NFL market. If he were there would be other teams interested in him, even if it was as a bridge qb i.e. temporary solution. No team other than the Jets is interested in him. That is a reflection of his market value.

I don't think you are too far off the mark that a possible deal can be structured with a $20M guarantee. For a two year period of time it averages out in real numbers to be a two year deal for $20M.

The Jets with a new GM and a new and more mature HC surprised a lot of people by making a quantum leap forward from the previous year. They went from a 4 win (Rex) season to a 10 win season. Sure it was disappointing that they didn't make the playoffs when it was within reach but taking a wider perspective they had a successful season.

The next issue the GM needs to address is finding a long term franchise qb. It certainly is not Fitz, and everyone who is sober knows that. The Jets know very well that you don't pay bridge qbs substantial money when your transcendent goal is to find a better option. Is Hachenberg the answer? Not for next year. But by drafting him in the second round it indicates that the organization believes that he has the potential to become their franchise qb. Fitz is a useful holding place qb for them. Nothing more. If you are smart you don't pay premium $$$ for that role. And by their current negotiating stance they are being smart.

When I look at this list https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/737246277256290305 and considering that these numbers increase a lot every year. He's coming off of 31 TDs, by today's standards Fitz belongs at $15M. That would put him as the 24th highest year 1 cash of any NFL starter. There are NO decent starting QBs signing for less than that in the current market. That's why he hasn't signed. It is 2010 anymore. The market is way different now. Edited by Kirby Jackson

When I look at this list https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/737246277256290305 and considering that these numbers increase a lot every year. He's coming off of 31 TDs, by today's standards Fitz belongs at $15M. That would put him as the 24th highest year 1 cash of any NFL starter. There are NO decent starting QBs signing for less than that in the current market. That's why he hasn't signed. It is 2010 anymore. The market is way different now.

Where I respectfully but strenuously disagree with your reasoning along with others who take the same view is that you are looking at Fitz's numbers last year and using it as his standard/baseline. He had a good year last year. I've never said otherwise. But I don't consider it representative of the caliber of qb he actually is.

For the organizations who are signing players on the market they not only consider what they did but what they are as a qb talents. As a starter Fitz is a lower tier qb (experienced backup talent) who is at the tail end of his career. Again, no other team has any interest in him. The issue comes down to signing Fitz based on his last year's numbers or signing Fitz based on his actual talent level. The Jets watched Fitz play in his last game against Buffalo. That's who he is as a player. It's not about fairness or sentiment. It is cold blooded analysis over what he will do for you under the new contract. I say this respectfully but with conviction: You are over inflating his worth----a mistake the Jets don't seem to want to make.