All Hail Doug Whaley! Look At All He's Done!

Astrobot

Hopefully, people will take this seriously coming from you, Astro.

I think Whaley has been nearly perfect since his arrival. In fact, the two three worst additions, in my opinion, had nothing to do with him.

Indeed, all hail Whaley. indeed.

Exactly. Whaley was basically forced to get a QB in round 1 and only EJ was there (people still can't answer what QB Whaley "missed" on); and Rex and Rob seemingly hired because the Pegula's fell in love with them. If we had Hue Jackson or Greg Roman as HC instead, perhaps Schwartz stays and we are in the playoffs last year.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And since you're here as well, how impartial do you consider your own opinion?

i'm a 30 year STH, my "impartiality" rises and falls at different times like most others.

this year...i'm at 8-8

last year...I was all in at 10-6......drank so much kool aid my stomach still hurts.

previous couple years in the 6-10 category.

i'm a 30 year STH, my "impartiality" rises and falls at different times like most others.

this year...i'm at 8-8

last year...I was all in at 10-6......drank so much kool aid my stomach still hurts.

previous couple years in the 6-10 category.

My impartiality pretty much solidified about 5 years ago. I consider myself quite analytical when it comes to the team. Being a VERY optimistic person in general, I tend to give all aspects of the team the benefit of the doubt when it's reasonable to do so, but typically I'm capable of calling it down the middle.

Let's judge Whaley by future QB decisions. You can't judge based on EJ (Buddy) or Tyrod (Rex).

It is, as everyone knows, the most important position on the field. It will make or break his career. If Tyrod continues to develop, can Whaley find a way to keep him? Can he choose the right developmental QB beginning with, but not exclusive to, this draft?

That actually worries me a little bit

If this is Whaley's draft I hope he does not feel undue pressure at that 19th pick

Let's judge Whaley by future QB decisions. You can't judge based on EJ (Buddy) or Tyrod (Rex).

It is, as everyone knows, the most important position on the field. It will make or break his career. If Tyrod continues to develop, can Whaley find a way to keep him? Can he choose the right developmental QB beginning with, but not exclusive to, this draft?

His back is against the wall this year because they almost need a QB at some point in this draft. So they're making a decision out of necessity because no one is signed beyond this season. It's not quite the scenario in 2013, but there are similarities.

I'd agree TT was a Rex pushed move, but I'm not able to see how Buddy was the driving force behind EJM. Whaley admitted his excitement of the pick and the ramifications of it not working out here:

I must have watched a different offense last year.

To give him credit for Miller is like getting credit for kissing your cousin. It counts but you don't brag about it.

K Williams looks good, but he will always be a change of pace and back up running back due to the big contract and trade for McCoy.

We stole Clay from Miami. That was the best move for Miami. We got a TE that is a tough match up in the passing game and do not throw him the ball. As bad as Mario Contract was the Clay contract you could argue looks worse.

T. Taylor is a nice bridge QB, but you cannot win with him. It all goes back to making a bad choice on EJ. Now we are trying to rebuild a defense to fit our coach while not having the offensive personnel to support the bumps in the road and be ignored.

I do not think he is any better then the last couple regimes.

I don't have any reason to doubt your first question. As for the second, that's what we're all waiting to find out.

His back is against the wall this year because they almost need a QB at some point in this draft. So they're making a decision out of necessity because no one is signed beyond this season. It's not quite the scenario in 2013, but there are similarities.

I'd agree TT was a Rex pushed move, but I'm not able to see how Buddy was the driving force behind EJM. Whaley admitted his excitement of the pick and the ramifications of it not working out here:

You're "not able to see?" Try opening your eyes. What would you expect the assistant GM to say? And what Whaley said still holds true today -- he talked about EJ's presence, leadership ability, intelligence, and physical attributes. He also said he did not know if he would be successful but they thought he could be special.

This is a deep draft for developmental QBs. We'll see if Whaley & Co. can maneuver their way to selecting the right one.

Edit: Oh, and by the way...GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!!

Edited by eball

Of course I don't, that is my feeling based on the influence of Russ Brandon with regard to Marrone and the decision of the Pegulas on Rex.

Alright.

Well, respectfully, until I'm provided proof that points otherwise. I'm going to say that the GM is *at least* partially responsible for player and coaching personnel decisions. And since we haven't made the playoffs under his watch, I call that 'not good enough currently', even though I feel with some continuity in place (Owner, GM, Coaches) we should get there in time.

TT says hello with a 9-5 record. Also if the defense was so poor last year doesn't that make TT even better?

I thought he was 8-6

If he is more than a bridge QB why are we waiting to sign him long term. If he does better then last year won't we be paying more for him? If he does worse then he is not more than a bridge QB.

Agreed. I tend to see DW as an average GM in a very competitive field.

Hence our 8-8 record last year.

I'm hoping though that he continues to learn and grow.

I think last seasons record came down to coaching, which if i recall correctly the Rex hiring was an ownership decision.

Doug Whaley put together a playoff calibre team. The defence tanking and 8-8 record was all Rex.

Alright.

Well, respectfully, until I'm provided proof that points otherwise. I'm going to say that the GM is *at least* partially responsible for player and coaching personnel decisions. And since we haven't made the playoffs under his watch, I call that 'not good enough currently', even though I feel with some continuity in place (Owner, GM, Coaches) we should get there in time.

The only thing that matters with regard to coaching hires is who has final say. Whaley has not had that.

I am on board with most of this.....but also agree with the others who say SHOW ME THE BABY

He's shown you the baby and you won't look. His job is to handle the roster. As Astro points out he's done that to an outstanding level.

I thought he was 8-6

If he is more than a bridge QB why are we waiting to sign him long term. If he does better then last year won't we be paying more for him? If he does worse then he is not more than a bridge QB.

Yes I'm on crack they didnt even win 9 games last year. Waiting because they can and don't have cap room (been discussed on other threads). Yes we will pay more for him and the organization has made it clear they are ok with that. At this time they are able to win with him.