I hope everyone realizes...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment it seems like Tyrod is set as starter & EJ is the backup so any QB taken later in the draft is slotted for 3rd string, with hopes he will somehow develop into a steal. Of all the non-"star" QBs likely to be around in, say, the 4th round, the one I hope is still available, and the one I hope the Bills choose, is Kevin Hogan. The two biggest knocks on him are arm strength and delivery. The latter can be corrected while the former is, IMO, overrated. On his plus side, he played a complicated pro-style offense at Stanford (in fact, he played Greg Roman's offense) against high-level competition and did so with success. He has size, toughness, intelligence and talent. Seems to me he would be very much worth a pick.

Kevin Hogan is solid, but Jake Rudock from Michigan is Hogan 2.0 with a stronger arm. NOONE is giving Rudock any love. But I will say it again and again as a huge Wolverine fan. The guy has game. He is smart, tough and a leader. And has decent mobility. He had one bad game for the Maize and Blue last year (opener against Utah. And even in that game, he kept firing) After that he was as good as any QB in the country. And we did not have great receivers or much of a running game around him. Give him a year or two to learn and develop, and I can see him starting and doing well in the NFL. He is not a big man. But neither is Drew Brees. 6th round for Rudock. And he could be a steal. GO BLUE!! You all don't believe me, go back and watch his hilites from last year. And maybe ask the Florida Gators including Vernon Hargreaves what they think of my boy Jake.

Kevin Hogan is solid, but Jake Rudock from Michigan is Hogan 2.0 with a stronger arm. NOONE is giving Rudock any love. But I will say it again and again as a huge Wolverine fan. The guy has game. He is smart, tough and a leader. And has decent mobility. He had one bad game for the Maize and Blue last year (opener against Utah. And even in that game, he kept firing) After that he was as good as any QB in the country. And we did not have great receivers or much of a running game around him. Give him a year or two to learn and develop, and I can see him starting and doing well in the NFL. He is not a big man. But neither is Drew Brees. 6th round for Rudock. And he could be a steal. GO BLUE!! You all don't believe me, go back and watch his hilites from last year. And maybe ask the Florida Gators including Vernon Hargreaves what they think of my boy Jake.

Paup I agree on Rudock-- but another name to watch for the Bills Jacoby Brissett --played in a pro system-- scouts have tape of him under center and doing 3, 5 and 7 step drops in game situations with good success against good competition. This is unique in today's spread formation shotgun college O's.

I think Rudock or Brissett will both be there with the supplemental 4th or 5th round pick.

Edited by JoeF

Next year and the year after have lame ducks from what i'm hearing. Thats why Philly and LA traded up to 1 and 2

But you know how the stories change, heck look at the last coupla' weeks in regard to this years draft.

Goff and Wentz are far and away the most likely to succeed.

But none are sure things. So take one in the later rounds and work like heck to develop him. Thank goodness Bills are not in dire need just yet..

I hope the trend is changing. If Philly can retain Bradford maybe it will

I'm certainly not OK with Drafting a QB at #19 or #49...But I think it enters the conversation at #80...I would rather wait till #117, but QB's get pushed up...And If you can get your pick of 3rd tier guys (I'm assuming Goff, Wentz and Lynch are tier 1...Cook and Hackenberg tier 2) at #80...You might as well do it...Because the reality is the Bills have 2 QB's with only 2016 left on their deals...It's insurance...

I do think the Bills are in a position where they should take a QB...And I think that position is a nice one for a developmental type...Outside of preseason this Draft pick will very likely not see the field in 2016...That gives the kid a full year of development...No rushing them in...I like the idea...No question it's a long-shot...But at least you take out the possibility the kid gets thrown into the fire and is completely ruined by year 2... B-)

I think it really boils down how the FO feels about Tyrod. If they reasonably think he can make a big jump forward then you wait on a QB. If they really feel he has a ceiling and he's almost reached it then you have to draft one early. If Tyrod has a similar year to last year - he'll get 18-22 million. If they draft a QB after the 4th round they have to franchise him. The Bills are in a good spot but evaluating each QB as they've done extensively is a great plan.

How raw do you think he is? Comparison-wise.

He's a tough comparison. I've always said that Cardale reminded me of Culpepper. He has a similar build to Big Ben but it's not really fair to compare the 2. Logan Thomas is another guy that I think had a similar skill set coming out. He's a guy that regressed in college though. By the time he came to the NFL I think his odds of success were less than Cardale's. He reminds me a little of Mallet for some reason too. He's a big guy with a cannon.

I would say Cardale is no more raw than a guy who started only two seasons at the 1-AA level. i think the Eagles are taking a huge risk.

For the most part, I agree. I still thinking playing on any level is a huge benefit to a qb's development. I don't think they plan on playing Wentz right away either.

Hackenberg looked okay his freshman year. I don't know how this narrative started that he was brilliant, great, awesome, etc. He looked like a guy with potential to be great. He still completed less than 60% of his passes that season, just like he did under Franklin. And while, yeah, coaching counts, and I'm not a Franklin fan, it's not all on Franklin. Hackenberg has the ball in his hands every play. The bad line played a part, yes, but there were many instances Hackenberg had time to throw the rock and he pulled an EJ. He seemed listless and ineffectual to me the past couple seasons. He's a 4th round guy to me and that's based off of physical traits as opposed to great production. If the Bills grabbed him in the 3rd, I could live with it, but If any team takes him in the first two rounds they are playing with fire, unless they have multiple picks in those rounds.

Jon Gruden thinks he has a first round talent. http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2016/04/espns_jon_gruden_doubles_down.html

Plus, I've read other reports on him and he was graded as a five-star talent his freshman season by setting a Penn State school record of 2955 passing yards in 2013. Sure he had some freshman mistakes but he also showed some rare talent for an 18-year-old. What stinks is this kid committed to Penn St because of Bill O'Brian and he sold him on running an NFL offense like Tom Brady runs and then bailed on him.

I'm not advocating the Bills take him in the first or second rounds as he looks like a huge project going forward, and the Bills need players who can contribute right away. Perhaps even at QB.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-belichick-nfl-draft-new-england-patriots/

I hope everyone realizes......this is how you do it!

That's how u do it when u have a good team already and half of those trades didn't work out!!!!

if they didn't have brady they would not be "who we think they are"

ps they also cheat!!!!!

That of all the QBs discussed in this draft we'll be lucky if one capable starter emerges. That's just the reality. Every year we talk like there are 4-5-6 viable options and most of these guys are selling cars within 2 years.

That said do you really want the Bills to pass on a player who can realistically contribute to pick what is essentially a lottery ticket? I don't.

Don't worry they won't.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-belichick-nfl-draft-new-england-patriots/

Rules the draft? They already let go of their first round pick from last year...

The reality of the Bills QB situation is that the Bills don't have a QB signed past next year. It's fairly apparent that you think TT will work out just fine. Unfortunately, there is a very real possibility that he doesn't. That defenses figure out how to stop him or that he just doesn't progress as a player.

In that case, the Bills need to plan for the future. They can't just hope TT continues to get better. They need to plan for all instances and so it would make sense to draft a QB in the case that TT doesn't work out. That player could sit for a year and in 2017 that QB could possibly start.

Agreed. You need two QBs on the roster that could possibly get it done. Look what happened when we had just Fitz or EJ had tovwin games last year.

Belichick has masterfully worked the system to stockpile lots of valuable picks, but his execution of those picks has been underwhelming, at best. There was one sixth rounder that covered up a lot of crappy picks over the past 10 years. That Gronk pick really hurts, though.

I can't help but wonder if Rex Ryan still passionately hates the Jets and they pick 20th right after Buffalo and it's pretty much a given by many that if Paxton Lynch is still there the Jets will go for him...

At 6'7' 244 lbs and he can run like Kaepernick. I'm hearing the Dolphins want to trade up to make sure they get Zeke and the Cowboys might want him at four. Gonna be a very interesting draft.

This draft reminds me of the 2011 draft. It was billed as the deepest QB draft. It had some above average QBs (Cam Newton and Andy Dalton), average (Colin Kaepernick, Tyrod Taylor, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Christian Ponder), backups (Ryan Mallett, T.J. Yates and Greg McElroy). Overall it did not live up to the hype. This year you have two top QB (Goff and Wentz) and the rest is a mixed bag of talent. There will be a sleeper in this group. Hope the Bills find that QB.

Belichick has masterfully worked the system to stockpile lots of valuable picks, but his execution of those picks has been underwhelming, at best. There was one sixth rounder that covered up a lot of crappy picks over the past 10 years. That Gronk pick really hurts, though.

Amen. He has a mediocre drafting record.

That of all the QBs discussed in this draft we'll be lucky if one capable starter emerges. That's just the reality. Every year we talk like there are 4-5-6 viable options and most of these guys are selling cars within 2 years.

That said do you really want the Bills to pass on a player who can realistically contribute to pick what is essentially a lottery ticket? I don't.

So you're saying teams should never draft a QB? Evaluate the talent available. If there's a prospect you are confident can be a quality QB and you can reasonably acquire him, then you pull the trigger. You've got to trust your scouts. Edited by BarleyNY