Texans release Brian Hoyer; signs with Bears

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have no idea if it would make sense money wise but he's an upgrade over EJ

No. This is bad logic. Hoyer is basically Cassel 2.0 which doesn't mean he's a better option than EJ. I'll take EJ over Hoyer. Hoyer's weak arm won't cut it in Buffalo.

Deandre Hopkins on Hoyer "get that mother f$$$$$ out of the game." I think Sammy & Hopkins are boys from Clemson. No way Sammy would want that garbage in Blo.

Hoyer easily > EJ. He'd be a solid back up. If we had any cap space at all he'd be a good pick up. The Jets will have him in for a look if for nothing else but to motivate Fitz.

At this point it's like debating E. coli vs Salmonella...

I mean either will make you throw up, and some of the smelliest crap you've seen will be produced. But are they really different?

Yeah you can recall the Jax implosion for EJ, it was a train wreck. Most here witnessed it happen real time. What you may not have seen first hand was Hoyer's 15 passer rating vs KC. 44%, 4 picks.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

He is not for us.....

If you look at EJ manuels numbers...he is competative with any backup QB in the league.....

but

We want to draft a kid and develop him.....I fail to see where this aids us in that in any way

Yeah. I don't see the point of keeping a guy that won't be here beyond this season and who you don't want to see play in a game anyway. As soon as another decent option is acquired you move on. Until then you keep him around though.

Ryan Nassib would look awful fine in a Bills jersey

Would anyone around here care about Nassib if he didn't play at 'Cuse?

I don't see how Hoyer fits into the Bills needs/cap. We've discussed EJ's salary being guaranteed so why add to our dead cap to sign Hoyer - then having to cut a player like Lawson to make room.

Adding any player at the salary Hoyer will receive would be easier after Glenn and/or Gilmore are extended. But if the Bills really wanted to sign a player with his salary requirements they could structure a contract to have a low enough cap hit in 2016 for it to be feasible. I'm not advocating for the Bills to sign Hoyer, just saying they could if they really wanted to. For reference his last deal was for 2 years, $10.5M and he only got through the first year of that. He made $5.25M for that one season. Edited by BarleyNY

i have no idea if it would make sense money wise but he's an upgrade over EJ

I don't entirely understand this belief. Did the people who hold it miss Hoyer's playoff game against KC this year? It was kind of the definition of "QB Meltdown".

Hoyer had an overall good year with 60% completions, 19 TD, and 4 INT in his reunion with O'Brien, but it's pretty hard to construct an argument that 44% completion and 7 INTs in the KC game is an upgrade on EJ. It was an implosion, worse than EJ vs JAX.

And when you look under the hood at Hoyer last year, you see a lot of inconsistency - 6 games under 58% completion, 6 games over 60% completion. 4 games where INT >= TD. Games where he threw for 123, 155, 136 yds.

Plus, he made it clear in CLE that he either wanted to start or get out of town.

It will be interesting to me to see where Hoyer lands and how much $$ he gets. On the one hand, he's the guy for whom O'Brien kicked Fitzpatrick to the curb. On the other hand, he seems to fall into the category of "teams that moved on from Fitzpatrick and failed to improve upon him at QB". as the Jets were 10th or 11th in O last year, the Texans 19th or 21st.

On the third hand, there's the contracts that Osweiler and Chase Daniel got.

Edited by Hopeful

I don't entirely understand this belief. Did the people who hold it miss Hoyer's playoff game against KC this year? It was kind of the definition of "QB Meltdown".

Hoyer had an overall good year with 60% completions, 19 TD, and 4 INT in his reunion with O'Brien, but it's pretty hard to construct an argument that 44% completion and 7 INTs in the KC game is an upgrade on EJ. It was an implosion, worse than EJ vs JAX.

And when you look under the hood at Hoyer last year, you see a lot of inconsistency - 6 games under 58% completion, 6 games over 60% completion. 4 games where INT >= TD. Games where he threw for 123, 155, 136 yds.

Plus, he made it clear in CLE that he either wanted to start or get out of town.

It will be interesting to me to see where Hoyer lands and how much $$ he gets. On the one hand, he's the guy for whom O'Brien kicked Fitzpatrick to the curb. On the other hand, he seems to fall into the category of "teams that moved on from Fitzpatrick and failed to improve upon him at QB". as the Jets were 10th or 11th in O last year, the Texans 19th or 21st.

To add: I'm sure that Houston tried to trade him and apparently got no takers at any price. If no team gave up a 7th round pick or even offered a conditional pick then no one was interested in paying Hoyer $5.25M for one year.

I watch a lot of football, was in 3 fantasy leagues and have a decent working knowledge of a lot of the teams and their players.... That said I had to look up Chase Daniel. Can't believe he inked 21 mil for 3 seasons. That's crazy! No wonder Tyrods agent is so pissy.....

No. This is bad logic. Hoyer is basically Cassel 2.0 which doesn't mean he's a better option than EJ. I'll take EJ over Hoyer. Hoyer's weak arm won't cut it in Buffalo.

Deandre Hopkins on Hoyer "get that mother f$$$$$ out of the game." I think Sammy & Hopkins are boys from Clemson. No way Sammy would want that garbage in Blo.

Does EJ's strong arm cut it in Buffalo?

jets or Broncos?

@jasonlacanfora

Texans have released QB Brian Hoyer. He will be in demand. Steelers among those interested in him

The guy is TERRIBLE! Put on the worst playoff quarterbacking display in last years playoff game against the Chiefs this side of Jake Delomme's 5 interception debacle against the Cardinals several years ago for the Panthers. It is a joke that he is in the league still. Makes EJ look quite respectable.

Oh goody. Another "let's sign someone else's reject" post. At the end of the day, this guy has been on four different teams in his seven year career for a reason. The single game or limited games observations being made by some are no more than what I would coin the "Rob Johnson defense". It's about the equivalent of saying that because Ryan Fitzpatrick had the best season of his career last season, that somehow that's now his downside. I actually like the Matt Cassel comparison, but would suggest that Hoyer is a slightly better version of Matt Cassel. Little better rating, TD/Int ratio, sack %, INT %. But only slightly.

Take away that disastrous 5 minutes against Jacksonville (and I know, you can't), EJ really didn't play all that bad in those two games. It seems like people here think that the other 31 teams in the league have legit starting QB's at the #1 and #2 spots...

I totally agree

Dude. Brian Hoyer a) is way better than EJ Manuel, b) despite his meltdown in the playoff game, does not suck (look at his numbers last season- he was decent at worst), c) is not signing with Buffalo because d) he is going to sign somewhere where he can compete to start and e) we couldn't afford him anyway. That's it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Oh goody. Another "let's sign someone else's reject" post. At the end of the day, this guy has been on four different teams in his seven year career for a reason. The single game or limited games observations being made by some are no more than what I would coin the "Rob Johnson defense". It's about the equivalent of saying that because Ryan Fitzpatrick had the best season of his career last season, that somehow that's now his downside. I actually like the Matt Cassel comparison, but would suggest that Hoyer is a slightly better version of Matt Cassel. Little better rating, TD/Int ratio, sack %, INT %. But only slightly.

Our backup would've been on more teams if it didn't cost more to cut him.

The guy is TERRIBLE! Put on the worst playoff quarterbacking display in last years playoff game against the Chiefs this side of Jake Delomme's 5 interception debacle against the Cardinals several years ago for the Panthers. It is a joke that he is in the league still. Makes EJ look quite respectable.

It's a joke that a guy who threw for 19 TD's, 7 INT's and over 2600 yards in only 9 starts and had a winning record last season is still in the league? Great post.

i said "Jets or Broncos"... Where did you get "let's sign him"?