The Prediction Thread

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4-12 team?

Did the defense play offense too? That defense ranked 6th in the NFL. You consistently pop into threads and drop this nonsense about how Rex's system is antiquated and will never work again, but you never back your point up with anything substantial. It is a tired bit and you should consider putting it to bed.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Did the defense play offense too? That defense ranked 6th in the NFL. You consistently pop into threads and drop this nonsense about how Rex's system is antiquated and will never work again, but you never back your point up with anything substantial. It is a tired bit and you should consider putting it to bed.

It will work to an extent. But today's NFL features offenses that get rid of the ball rather quickly and have mobile quarterbacks to account for.

Ryan's problems extend well beyond his system. He is weak as a leader

It will work to an extent. But today's NFL features offenses that get rid of the ball rather quickly and have mobile quarterbacks to account for.

Ryan's problems extend well beyond his system. He is weak as a leader

I don't necessarily disagree with that, and I definitely think it is a good discussion point.

As far as the QB mobility and quick passes I don't really think it is a scheme issue as much as a personnel issue. The scheme can remain unchanged, but the LB/S line will become more blurred as you introduce more athleticism to the positions. Just my opinion, anyway.

9/11@ Bal 1:00 PM ET WIN
9/15vs. NYJ 8:25 PM ET Loss
9/25vs. Ari 1:00 PM ET Loss
10/2@ NE 1:00 PM ET LOSS 22-38
10/9@ LA 4:25 PM ET WIN
10/16vs. SF 1:00 PM ET WIN
10/23@ Mia 1:00 PM ET Loss
10/30vs. NE 1:00 PM ET Loss
11/7@ Sea 8:30 PM ET Loss
Bye Week
11/20@ Cin 1:00 PM ET Loss
11/27vs. Jax 1:00 PM ET Loss
12/4@ Oak 4:05 PM ET Loss
12/11vs. Pit 1:00 PM ET Loss
12/18vs. Cle 1:00 PM ET Loss
12/24vs. Mia 1:00 PM ET Loss
1/01@ NY Jets 1:00PM ET Loss
OVERALL RECORD 3-13

This would = Deshaun Watson

Does anyone have a solid theory, beyond wishful thinking, why we should be better this year. We lost a bunch of good players replaced them with journeymen.

Offensive line staying together, Rex's D plan coming together, Solid draft of ready players, Taylor and Watkins improve while gelling becoming a dynamic force, McCoy stays healthy as Karlos becomes an unstoppable change of pace, our remaining Williamses stay healthy and don't decline, one Brown returns to rookie season form or better as he learns the system, the other *journeyman" one fulfills his initial promise, Darby and Gilmore shutting things down, Dareus frees the beast, Brady suddenly ages, rest of division collapses.

I'm not saying all these things will happen, just saying these are things that can happen. Football is unpredictable. Pundits, both professional and amateur like to pretend a team will finish within a, say 10-6 and 8-8 window, while in reality most teams could range from 15-1 to 1-15 if they catch lightning (or s&*() in a bottle. Who would have predicted the Panthers would be undefeated near the season's end.

Fwiw, the "good" players did not exactly play "good" last year.

It does take offense, defense, and special teams to win a game

but dont let that get in the way

Right. Offense does matter. But in the end W/L is the only stat that matters. Do you guys think it is possible that a good portion of those Jets games were spent with the opposing team running out the clock? Was there any need to run up the score on his team whose defense sucked and offense sucked even more? Do you remember the Bills crushing them in Detroit? How did the defense look that night? In NY, the Jets offense certainly was a problem vs. the Bills. They put the game away early thanks to Geno and then we sleep walked through the rest. If we needed them maybe Sammy could get a few more 70+ yard plays, but we didn't need them.

If we're going to strictly talk defensive numbers then Rex took our #4 defense, made fun of that ranking and by extension Schwartz, by saying with our personnel only #1 was acceptable. He only ended up off by 18 spots. He didn't listen to his players, his defense was too hard to understand, the play calls did not get in on time and we got burned over and over by guys who we would have stopped in 2014. He has shown nothing to indicate he will turn this around, rather he is doubling down on his failed system.

IMO 2015 was substantial. I'm not sure why you think it wasn't. I also think Rex asking for a stupid 3 west coast trips instead of 2 because he does not want his team in "vacation mode" is very telling. Is he so utterly incapable of keeping his team focused for a week that he even admits it out loud? Isn't it his job to keep his team out of vacation mode?

This is a prediction thread. I gave a prediction and my thoughts behind it. If you want to think Rex will fix the defense and we'll go 16-0 then great. We can all go into vacation mode then. How about something substantial to back it up?

Edited by 4merper4mer

Offensive line staying together, Rex's D plan coming together, Solid draft of ready players, Taylor and Watkins improve while gelling becoming a dynamic force, McCoy stays healthy as Karlos becomes an unstoppable change of pace, our remaining Williamses stay healthy and don't decline, one Brown returns to rookie season form or better as he learns the system, the other *journeyman" one fulfills his initial promise, Darby and Gilmore shutting things down, Dareus frees the beast, Brady suddenly ages, rest of division collapses.

I'm not saying all these things will happen, just saying these are things that can happen. Football is unpredictable. Pundits, both professional and amateur like to pretend a team will finish within a, say 10-6 and 8-8 window, while in reality most teams could range from 15-1 to 1-15 if they catch lightning (or s&*() in a bottle. Who would have predicted the Panthers would be undefeated near the season's end.

Fwiw, the "good" players did not exactly play "good" last year.

IN

Does anyone have a solid theory, beyond wishful thinking, why we should be better this year. We lost a bunch of good players replaced them with journeymen.

I'll preface that I'm not saying these things should or will translate to us being better - but it's a solid theory IMO.

Mario was a problem and at one of the most important positions on the field he offered next to nothing. Not only would his poor effort/play effect his personal responsibilities but because he didn't command his normal portion of additional attention from the offense - that side of the defense and the entire defense will be better off.

Our core of great players are young - as they continue their development they should get better year by year (Dareus, Watkins, Gilmore, Darby, Glenn - Miller and Karlos honorable mention)

Whaley is excellent at drafting. I like the little FA signings that he made. I.E. Hankerson could help and so could Zach Brown

Rex has been a good defensive coach - he should get more out of this defense. Most of what was leaked to fans was communication issues - in year 2 with most of the same players this should improve. Like it or not Rob should help with communication. Ed Reed should help our weakness at safety learn in the film room.

Roman is a good offensive coach - year two is always reasonable to think things run smoother.

The off season should help Carpenter heal and come back to his normal accuracy. More points is always a good thing.

Right. Offense does matter. But in the end W/L is the only stat that matters. Do you guys think it is possible that a good portion of those Jets games were spent with the opposing team running out the clock? Was there any need to run up the score on his team whose defense sucked and offense sucked even more? Do you remember the Bills crushing them in Detroit? How did the defense look that night? In NY, the Jets offense certainly was a problem vs. the Bills. They put the game away early thanks to Geno and then we sleep walked through the rest. If we needed them maybe Sammy could get a few more 70+ yard plays, but we didn't need them.

If we're going to strictly talk defensive numbers then Rex took our #4 defense, made fun of that ranking and by extension Schwartz, by saying with our personnel only #1 was acceptable. He only ended up off by 18 spots. He didn't listen to his players, his defense was too hard to understand, the play calls did not get in on time and we got burned over and over by guys who we would have stopped in 2014. He has shown nothing to indicate he will turn this around, rather he is doubling down on his failed system.

IMO 2015 was substantial. I'm not sure why you think it wasn't. I also think Rex asking for a stupid 3 west coast trips instead of 2 because he does not want his team in "vacation mode" is very telling. Is he so utterly incapable of keeping his team focused for a week that he even admits it out loud? Isn't it his job to keep his team out of vacation mode?

This is a prediction thread. I gave a prediction and my thoughts behind it. If you want to think Rex will fix the defense and we'll go 16-0 then great. We can all go into vacation mode then. How about something substantial to back it up?

I still don't see much about Rex's scheme and why it doesn't match up with today's offenses, but okay. W's & L's have a lot more associated with them than just defensive scheme so maybe you want to shift your argument. You're basing the 2014 Jets defense on one poor performance in a game that got postponed and moved to a different location. That's fine I suppose, I just don't agree with it. And our defense last year struggled in it's first year in a new system without many changes to the personnel. I can't say I'm surprised by that, but maybe you bought into the Rex hype and now you just feel burned by it. Anyway, crusade on. I definitely don't understand it, but I suppose I can respect it.

You're not predicting, you'd crusading, why not give it a rest?

Me, see it as follows:

Baltimore W

Jets W

Cards L

Pats W (TT comes out swinging after getting embarrassed by the Cards)

Rams W

Niners L (Letdown game)

Fins W

Pats L

Seahawks L

Bungles W (after bye week)

Jags W

Pitt (L, unless Big Ben is crippled)

Browns W

Fins W

Jets W.

10-6.

Right. Offense does matter. But in the end W/L is the only stat that matters.

Wins are overrated when a team drafts so well. ;)

Everyone knows Buffalo has drafted better than most teams, even though doing so would eventually result in more wins. Whaley just can't get the HC's to use all the talent he's evaluated appropriately. And this is why the Bills don't make the playoffs.

Everyone knows Buffalo has drafted better than most teams, even though doing so would eventually result in more wins. Whaley just can't get the HC's to use all the talent he's evaluated appropriately. And this is why the Bills don't make the playoffs.

LOL (love the sarcasm)

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I know you are being sarcastic but I do think there is some truth to that. In the two seasons following off seasons where Whaley has had full control we have a winning record despite Head Coaches who at best garner mixes reactions from the majority on this board.

If we had a proven Head Coach (ie not a proven loser like Rex who now has one of the longest runs of non winning seasons in full employment in NFL history) and were still flatlining then I think you could blame Whaley more. But nobody can say Rex did a good job getting the team to 8-8 last year and it is at best a 50/50 as to whether Marrone did to make 9-7.