Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

It's only the Pro Bowl... All Pro team is where they should strive.

All-pro teams are voted on by sports writers too--it's only more prestigious because it's one vote and there aren't any injury replacements.

The subject of the article was the pro bowl, and I was responding to the lunacy of Landry and Cooper making over Watkins.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he got absolutely hosed last year. Amari Cooper and Jarvis Landry in the pro bowl ahead of Watkins? That's a joke.

Cooper's numbers weren't as good as Sammy's despite playing 2 more games, and Landry barely eclipsed 10 yards per catch and had a total of 4 TDs.

I was so mad when I saw them out there!! I was like, "wait a minute!! Where's Watkins??"

• 2 weeks later...
Signing Gilmore & Taylor to extensions feasible

The Bills have methodically taken care of some of the more important expiring contracts on their roster this offseason. Richie Incognito and Cordy Glenn are the two primary examples. Next up is considered to be Stephon Gilmore and Tyrod Taylor. Some outside observers wonder if Buffalo has enough cap room to lock up both long term. One expert says yes.

In an appearance on the John Murphy Show, Corry explained why signing both Taylor and Gilmore to long term extensions is not going to be impacted by the cap space Buffalo has at their disposal.

That seems like what many of the cap posters here have been saying.

I'm wondering if the Bills are just taking their time with Gilmore. I think he gets the deal just before camp starts.

The thing I find so refreshing about TT approach is he know he will get paid if he produces this year. Someone will pay him good money if he is as good or better than he was last year.

That seems like what many of the cap posters here have been saying.

I'm wondering if the Bills are just taking their time with Gilmore. I think he gets the deal just before camp starts.

The thing I find so refreshing about TT approach is he know he will get paid if he produces this year. Someone will pay him good money if he is as good or better than he was last year.

Yeah, the Bills have done what they needed to do to have room for a Gilmore extension now and TT next offseason. I won't start to worry about Gilmore's deal getting done until training camp starts. The Bills still have a lot of future cap space tied up in existing players. A Gilmore extension would move them into the top position in the league for future cap commitments. That means a lot of stability in the coming years as the current group of core players is going to stay largely intact. That's great from a growth and stability standpoint. It will, however, limit flexibility since cap dollars won't be available to do much in free agency. There's also some inherient risk in guaranteeing such a high percentage of many of the big contracts through front loading and guaranteed dollars. Those players have to stay relatively healthy and perform well because they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The coming off-seasons will likely look a lot like this one, especially if Taylor is deemed worthy of a big contract in 2017. If not, they can use those dollars for a FA QB for the long or short term. They've also got all of their day 1 and 2 draft picks available if they want to make a move for one in the 2017 draft. The roster has been built, with the possible exception of the hedge at QB. Now it's up to the coaches to get the players over the top.

@TyDunne

This morning's 3 #Bills thoughts: Risk in losing Gilmore, caution with McCoy, Goodwin's challenge... https://t.co/idtPl7w2wn

Letting premier cornerbacks leave. The Buffalo Bills have been there before. They’ve managed to draft elite cornerbacks — Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements — to only see those elite cornerbacks leave in free agency. Could Stephon Gilmore be next after the 2016 season? Maybe. Right now, a long-term contract extension does not appear imminent. Indications I've received are that they haven't made significant headway on a new deal. Marcell Dareus inked a long-term deal with the Bills after the team’s third exhibition game (remember his choice words in the Cleveland locker room?) so there’s still a chance a deal can get done before Gilmore’s contract year begins.

Both Winfield and, especially, Clements signed mega contracts with new teams. But both were at the peak of their powers and Buffalo let them slip away.

@TyDunne

This morning's 3 #Bills thoughts: Risk in losing Gilmore, caution with McCoy, Goodwin's challenge... https://t.co/idtPl7w2wn

Letting premier cornerbacks leave. The Buffalo Bills have been there before. They’ve managed to draft elite cornerbacks — Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements — to only see those elite cornerbacks leave in free agency. Could Stephon Gilmore be next after the 2016 season? Maybe. Right now, a long-term contract extension does not appear imminent. Indications I've received are that they haven't made significant headway on a new deal. Marcell Dareus inked a long-term deal with the Bills after the team’s third exhibition game (remember his choice words in the Cleveland locker room?) so there’s still a chance a deal can get done before Gilmore’s contract year begins.

Both Winfield and, especially, Clements signed mega contracts with new teams. But both were at the peak of their powers and Buffalo let them slip away.

Call me insane, but I would franchise Gilmore and led Tyrod walk if we can'tget them locked up by next year.

Call me insane, but I would franchise Gilmore and led Tyrod walk if we can'tget them locked up by next year.

You are insane.

If Tyrod has a strong season then he is the top priority without question. Now, if he shows regression instead of progression then it's a different story.

okay. you are insane.

Gilmore is this years contract and TT next years.

If Gilmore does not get done he will be franchised one season. Less money spent by the Bills.

Tyrod will get paid if he shows the growth

Edited by 3rdand12

Coupling the re-signing of both of these players makes no sense to me. Gilmore is a known commodity that has had multiple seasons with success at his position. For four years running, he's been the best CB on the team and facing opponents #1 receiver, wherever they line up on the field. Getting him under a long term deal should be a priority. He's 25 and has a lot of football years left in him. Tyrod Taylor on the other hand had a decent year last year. He really wasn't asked to do a lot though, nor did he. He basically was as productive as Alex Smith was last year. Do I want to see the Bills give a hefty long-term contract if all we're going to get is the next Alex Smith for the next 5-6 years? Simply put, no. Tyrod has had some really good games, but has had some poor games as well. When we've needed him to march the team down the field and score, he hasn't been able to do it. He's got two years left on his current contract with the second year voidable. If we see the improvement that we need to see, of course you lock him up and call him your guy. Right now is too soon for Taylor. Gilmore has nothing to prove. Sign him if you can or tag him next year if you can't.

if it was genuinely at a gridlock, i dont know that hed be posting that. at leaast im reading it as a little tongue in cheek

Here's what I keep coming back to: can anyone name a time in which the Pegula regime wanted to re-sign a player and didn't get it done?

Granted, it's been two offseasons, but since they bought the team, they've been able to work out long-term deals with:

Hughes

Dareus

Glenn

Incognito

McCoy

I'm honestly struggling to think of anyone that they seriously have attempted to re-up with and couldn't get done.

I'm thinking that Gilmore's deal is only a matter of time.

Here's what I keep coming back to: can anyone name a time in which the Pegula regime wanted to re-sign a player and didn't get it done?

Granted, it's been two offseasons, but since they bought the team, they've been able to work out long-term deals with:

Hughes

Dareus

Glenn

Incognito

McCoy

I'm honestly struggling to think of anyone that they seriously have attempted to re-up with and couldn't get done.

I'm thinking that Gilmore's deal is only a matter of time.

that comes with 2 caveats.

1) like you mentioned, a rather small list still and at some point its bound to happen

2) they will still have some cutoff in value and we dont know if they want gilmore at his ask (and may just be playing hardball because its still best for the team to get the best deal possible) or if they like gilmore at a rate lower than he wants to go.