Bills enamored with Cardale Jones?

They are both big, black and play QB. That's about where the comparisons stop IMO.

Cardale is a very intriguing prospect because of his raw skills. His natural skill set is right there with just about anyone in this draft. He just doesn't have a lot of experience. He's raw.

Im on the fence and normally call out these comparisons as lazy race issues...

But he's a great big guy with all the physical tools but needing huge gains on the mental side. Ran identical 40s. Russell was a 24 and jones a 25 on the wonderlic. So there's some similarity on paper. One was 6'5 253 the other 6'6 260. One 61.7% the other 61.9%, big 8.3 vs 8.6 ypa (i.e. Downfield, chunk gains), both a bit over 2tds for each int thrown.

Before his final season Russell was in a battle for the job and was thought to be going to the NFL no matter what happened in the season because he wasn't sure he'd keep the job long term.

Without the hindsight of purple drank and Vegas and such for Russell - if cardale came out right after his championship (and had a little more resume at the time) --- where are the wild differences as prospects?

I haven't watched a ton of cardale at qb though as I'm not a big Ohio state guy. Kirby - as someone pretty familiar with each COLLEGE career, without interjecting too much of JRs pro issues, care to chime in on the substantial gaps between their talents/styles?

I think a lot of people are picturing 300 lbs broke Jamarcus and not lsu Jamarcus which is what a college scout would likely be intimate with and discussing here.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'll add that I think Russell was a reasonable candidate in that second tier "day two developmental" instead of #1 overall. So I don't think it dooms cardale to admit there are parallels in some spots even if we take him.

Guy is a long shot, but there's something to be said for that long shot being able to do everything he needs to physically

Would be less stressful then taking a gamble on Lynch at 19.

4th rd to develop a QB would be a safer bet.

I really agree about the Lynch stress factor.

But i have resigned myself that Bills may take their QB in the 3rd. another reason i wish they could add some picks in the mid rounds.

Im on the fence and normally call out these comparisons as lazy race issues...

I think there are similarities to JMR in some respects (raw, etc.), but also great differences. CJ didn't go into the draft after the championship (which may have been a mistake). CJ isn't going #1 overall and it would blow away most everyone if he went in the 1st round. The comparison is good in that both are boom-or-bust prospects. It also doesn't feel very fair to CJ given the path JMR's career took with its crash-and-burn ending.

On the third hand, NFL teams in today's NFL are giving players a limited window to develop. I don't know how many 3rd or later round QBs get a second contract if they're still getting "coached up" as a long-term developmental long-shot at the end of the first one, but there seems to be a lot more Tuels than Thigpens on the list of former QBs...

care to elaborate??

He was in a skills competition with Cody Kessler and Brandon Doughty, 2 guys that won't even get drafted, and he came in last place. His long throw was only 58 yards. Most top QB's can throw it 70-80+. People will probably come to his defense and say who cares it was a dumb competition that didn't mean anything but he looked terrible and wouldn't someone you draft that has any chance in the NFL easily win a competition against guys that will be trying out for the arena league in the near future? If he was going to perform that poorly he shouldn't have shown up.

He was in a skills competition with Cody Kessler and Brandon Doughty, 2 guys that won't even get drafted, and he came in last place. His long throw was only 58 yards. Most top QB's can throw it 70-80+. People will probably come to his defense and say who cares it was a dumb competition that didn't mean anything but he looked terrible and wouldn't someone you draft that has any chance in the NFL easily win a competition against guys that will be trying out for the arena league in the near future? If he was going to perform that poorly he shouldn't have shown up.

He threw it 64 yards standing still last weekend at the OSU spring game. There should be ZERO concerns about his arm strength. He may very well have the strongest arm in the draft.

http://youtu.be/hgsTCVt2lhk

Edited by Kirby Jackson

they have seen him throw it 70 yards standing still in games and practice. So no, I don't think they care about the fake skills thing for tv. Of all the things to criticize him for, his arm is dead last on that list. He can make throws that most current NFL starters cannot make. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think there are similarities to JMR in some respects (raw, etc.), but also great differences.

Id be curious if someone chimed in on the reads, or throws that he is making that JR wasnt at that point, honestly.

CJ didn't go into the draft after the championship (which may have been a mistake).

Sure - but in evaluating the current skill sets, thats not really a difference. it is a difference between the situations, not the players is kind of what im getting at

CJ isn't going #1 overall and it would blow away most everyone if he went in the 1st round.

right - but again, situational differences not skill/ability/etc....

It also doesn't feel very fair to CJ given the path JMR's career took with its crash-and-burn ending.

i think thats what most are struggling most with here - separating rating them as prospects from using the russell hindsight. if looking at 21 year old JR on his way to the draft, and looking at what he does well/poorly on the field, (arm strength, mobility, size vs being unpolished and having to grow as a leader) etc.... i think theres more in common, but i didnt watch religiously

Edited by NoSaint

He threw it 64 yards standing still last weekend at the OSU spring game. There should be ZERO concerns about his arm strength. He may very well have the strongest arm in the draft.

Then it's just another example of poor decision making for not taking the opportunity to show his arm strength. 64 isn't far either. Get a running start and throw it 80 if you can and make an impression. His accuracy in that competition was bad too. I wouldn't let those guys beat me at anything if I was him

Edited by kdiggz

You doing your best Buddy Nix impersonation?

Then it's just another example of poor decision making for not taking the opportunity to show his arm strength. 64 isn't far either. Get a running start and throw it 80 if you can and make an impression. His accuracy in that competition was bad too. I wouldn't let those guys beat me at anything if I was him

I can't decide if you're being a troll or not - some of your posts are spot-on, analytical and full of common sense.

And then you let loose with posts like these...

I highly doubt that the skills competition is going to impact anyone's draft stock.

His accuracy can be spotty. His arm strength is as strong or stronger than anyone in this draft. It is probably the last thing that you can criticize him for. It is like criticizing Goodwin for not being fast enough. It really weakens any other opinion on the guy because it couldn't be less accurate. If you say his arm strength is questionable I immediately tune out any other opinion that you may have on the guy. If you say his accuracy is spotty, I am hearing you out.