Bills enamored with Cardale Jones?

doesn't matter IMO. I see nothing at all to think Jones is going to be anything.

IMO EJ could hold a clip board and be groomed for a decade and he would still be the exact same QBc

maybe Jones as an undrafted player, but there has to be someone with a better resume out there

Your not drafting him for resume ddaryl....your drafting him for his physical traits.

I am not all in on C. Jones myself......for a backup QB there are some other potentials in this draft. I def dont want C. Jones until the 4th round at the earliest

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO.. Ok.. newton 30 TDs 7 INTs in one full season

jones 8 tds 5 INts in a partial season

If you look at 2014 and 2015 combined, which is what I was talking about, Jones had 15 TDs and 7 INTs. The point is not that Jones is as good a prospect as Newton; the point is that both played about the same number of college games. If Jones had put up Newton-like numbers, we would not be having this conversation because he would be the first player picked next Thursday. Jones is a guy who's ceiling is similar to Newton's, but obviously there are more question marks surrounding him. If there weren't, there would be no chance of getting him outside the first round.

I didn't miss the point on it. I said 5th or later on him is where I would be comfortable with the Bills taking him. We could easily get starters in rounds 1-3 and round 4 could be great depth. A QB that needs that much work (in my opinion) shouldn't trump those.

I whole heartedly disagree with that latter statement though. People were saying the exact same thing about him going in to last season and he didn't play well at all.

Right...Paxton Lynch is a potential 1st Rd Pick...Wentz is going #2...But Jones would not be a 1st Round pick if he started three years at Ohio St while winning a National Championship?...OK...

QB's get pushed up...It's the nature of the beast...And athletically he is at the very top in certain categories...Everyone knows the situation at OSU and what happened...He was not a fit...I'll say this much...If he played at FSU for three years he might go #1 overall... B-)

Right...Paxton Lynch is a potential 1st Rd Pick...Wentz is going #2...But Jones would not be a 1st Round pick if he started three years at Ohio St while winning a National Championship?...OK...

QB's get pushed up...It's the nature of the beast...And athletically he is at the very top in certain categories...Everyone knows the situation at OSU and what happened...He was not a fit...I'll say this much...If he played at FSU for three years he might go #1 overall... B-)

You were probably one of the guys saying he would be an overall #1 pick this year (or first round pick) after the National Championship Game too, weren't you? How is that working out? Lynch, Wentz, Goff all have better accuracy, quicker releases and what seem to be better decision making abilities. People keep wanting to overstate the impact of arm strength in the NFL, but accuracy is the most important trait of the great QBs, not arm strength. And his athleticism is not going to transition well to the NFL, he is not that fast. He only ran a 4.81, Newton ran a 4.59. Huge difference when getting chased down by DEnds and Linebackers.

You were probably one of the guys saying he would be an overall #1 pick this year (or first round pick) after the National Championship Game too, weren't you? How is that working out? Lynch, Wentz, Goff all have better accuracy, quicker releases and what seem to be better decision making abilities. People keep wanting to overstate the impact of arm strength in the NFL, but accuracy is the most important trait of the great QBs, not arm strength. And his athleticism is not going to transition well to the NFL, he is not that fast. He only ran a 4.81, Newton ran a 4.59. Huge difference when getting chased down by DEnds and Linebackers.

pretty sure that's why those 3 QBs are projected in the 1st and Jones is projected in the 3rd-4th.

Yeah, but the poster I was responding to said if he played at FSU for 3 years he might be the #1 overall pick, that was what I was pointing to as to why I disagree completely with that statement.

Edited by Mark80

No...I was not...But thanks for telling me what I thought...At my age I can always use a refresher...

I'm being a realist...I understand the NFL Draft...I understand how QB's are evaluated and to a great extent over-valued...As far as accuracy goes Jones meets the threshold regardless because in his short time he completed almost 62% of his passes...Not really sure why you don't think he could improve by playing more, or playing in a system that fits his skills better...But whatever...I'm not saying one single thing about how Jones will turn out...I'm not saying he's going to be a star...I'm not even saying he's going to be in the league in 4 years...And I have no idea why making the statement that he would have been a 1st Round pick, even #1 overall, had he gone to FSU (I chose FSU for a reason...It's a Pro style Offense that has seen 3 QB's Drafted in the 1st round recently including a #1 overall) seems to irritate you so much seeing as though both EJ Manuel and Christian Ponder were 1st round picks...And Jones easily has as much ability as those two...You seem angry about it...

I am however saying you don't get it...And you don't get why he makes sense in the 3rd or later...And that's cool...So I really don't see why this discussion needs to continue... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Call me crazy, but considering that C. Jones is such a boom-or-bust option -- a guy unlikely to even be the backup for at least a year or so -- I would be all on board with the Bills taking a Kevin Hogan IN ADDITION to Jones, say in the last round or two. A guy like Jones has a much lower ceiling but could probably serve as a backup from day one. Meanwhile, in 2-3 years Jones is either starting or out of the league.

@JoeBuscaglia

I know many of you have argued against the #Bills drafting QB Cardale Jones. I think you're wrong, and this is why: https://t.co/QYl2wiwrbw

From the article: The Bills have drafted 4 QBs in the past 20 years. Incredible. And folks here are still trying to think of excuses not to draft one this year.

Edited by mannc

From the article: The Bills have drafted 4 QBs in the past 20 years. Incredible. And folks here are still trying to think of excuses not to draft one this year.

well he might not be good, so we should totally take a player like Jonathan Meeks. Even though we have a starter already, We should only draft QBs in the mid rounds who are guaranteed to be good NFL starters or don't take one at all! Edited by YoloinOhio

Call me crazy, but considering that C. Jones is such a boom-or-bust option -- a guy unlikely to even be the backup for at least a year or so -- I would be all on board with the Bills taking a Kevin Hogan IN ADDITION to Jones, say in the last round or two. A guy like Jones has a much lower ceiling but could probably serve as a backup from day one. Meanwhile, in 2-3 years Jones is either starting or out of the league.

I would have no problem with that. See above.

I'm fairly certain Hogan will get taken before Jones.

I think Bills will take a QB , maybe two because they are odd folks.

Wishing Jones was avalaible in the 4th when Bills have two picks. Because one is a freebie. I would take Jones all day with that pick. just for his potential.

In the third i might sweat it a little, but not like i would steam with Lynch in the 1st.
Jones is my kind of pick see if he can be molded into something worthwhile or better over time.
any QB pick geta a year of development anyways.

Edited by 3rdand12

I think some folks are slightly missing the point with Jones...

With the extraordinarily high rate of failure QB's drafted after the 2nd round have had, if you're going to take a guy in the 3rd or later, it might as well be a guy with all the physical tools and a rocket arm...

The truth is the chances of getting the right guy are slim...But with a kid like Jones you really don't have to tweak much physically...You just have to coach him up and hope he catches on...If he doesn't, it's not like it's going to be a big surprise...But the truth is had he started 3 full years at Ohio St he more than likely would be a 1st Round pick...Right or wrong...So if you're going to do it...Why not do it with the QB that has the most upside?...Work him hard and see if you get lucky... B-)

Agreed