ESPN 30 for 30 - O.J.: Made in America

YoloinOhio

No question his later crimes raised his profile in some ways. That doesn't take away from what he did on the field for most people who saw him back in the day. Amazing stuff.

From everything I know about the 70s Bills though I wasn't around to see them, what he did was amazing. The team seemed to have nothing other than OJ. Had he been on the Steelers or Cowboys in the 70s I can only imagine how NFL fans would remember him as a legend. My only point about the crimes is the fact that now every soccer mom even knows he is. He is part of pop culture that few athletes become, regardless of on field accomplishments. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From everything I know about the 70s Bills though I wasn't around to see them, what he did was amazing. The team seemed to have nothing other than OJ. Had he been on the Steelers or Cowboys in the 70s I can only imagine how NFL fans would remember him as a legend. My only point about the crimes is the fact that now every soccer mom even knows he is. He is part of pop culture that few athletes become, regardless of on field accomplishments.

I get that. Regardless of his lack of Super Bowl appearances, you could watch a game and easily pick out the guy who was better than all the other guys. That's what it usually felt like, despite all efforts to stop him. He was that good.

From everything I know about the 70s Bills though I wasn't around to see them, what he did was amazing. The team seemed to have nothing other than OJ. Had he been on the Steelers or Cowboys in the 70s I can only imagine how NFL fans would remember him as a legend. My only point about the crimes is the fact that now every soccer mom even knows he is. He is part of pop culture that few athletes become, regardless of on field accomplishments.

Whenever OJ got the ball on a handoff the entire crowd would stand up to get a better view, like they didn't want to miss the next epic run. I've never seen anything like that since.

everyone knew who oj was even before the crimes.

there was an episode of athletes vs athletes or whatever it was called. they'd take the top athletes in the world and face them against each other. he dominated.

@billsupdates

O.J. Simpson 30 for 30 starts Saturday: Time, TV channel for ESPN documentary http://trib.al/63L53mp

Part 1

Saturday, June 11, 9 p.m. on ABC (premiere)
Tuesday, June 14, 7 p.m. on ESPN (re-air)

Part 2

Tuesday, June 14, 9 p.m. on ESPN (premiere)
Wednesday, June 15, 7 p.m. on ESPN (re-air)

Part 3

Wednesday, June 15, 9 p.m. on ESPN (premiere)
Friday, June 17, 7 p.m. on ESPN (re-air)

Part 4

Friday, June 17, 9 p.m. on ESPN (premiere)
Sat. June 18, 7 p.m. ET on ESPN (re-air)

Part 5

Saturday, June 18, 9 p.m. on ESPN (premiere)

Watch ESPN

All five parts of the documentary will be available on WATCH ESPN beginning on June 14.

Come sit on Papa's knee, whippersnapper. The early-mid 70's Bills had a prolific offense featuring the great Electric Company OL anchored by All-Time Bill Reggie McKensie and HOFer Joe D. A fine TE in Paul Seymore and fantastic Wideouts Ahmad Rashad, J.D. Hill and the Great Bobby Chandler#81, aptly directed by the young Arkansas Rifle Joe Ferguson. They lit up NFL scoreboards. While the D may not have been great, they had some fine players too in Earl Edwards, Jim Cheyunski, Dave Washington and talent in the Secondary with Dwight Harrison and Pro Bowler Tony Greene. Spike Jones, John Leypolt and Wallace Francis led a strong ST's. The quick strike Bills often found themselves in shootouts and weren't very successful overall..

They were a very entertaining team with 1 playoff game vs the Steelers in their heyday and a couple more strong seasons.

@billsupdates

O.J. Simpson 30 for 30 starts Saturday: Time, TV channel for ESPN documentary http://trib.al/63L53mp

Part 1

Saturday, June 11, 9 p.m. on ABC (premiere)

Tuesday, June 14, 7 p.m. on ESPN (re-air)

Part 2

Tuesday, June 14, 9 p.m. on ESPN (premiere)

Wednesday, June 15, 7 p.m. on ESPN (re-air)

Part 3

Wednesday, June 15, 9 p.m. on ESPN (premiere)

Friday, June 17, 7 p.m. on ESPN (re-air)

Part 4

Friday, June 17, 9 p.m. on ESPN (premiere)

Sat. June 18, 7 p.m. ET on ESPN (re-air)

Part 5

Saturday, June 18, 9 p.m. on ESPN (premiere)

Watch ESPN

All five parts of the documentary will be available on WATCH ESPN beginning on June 14.

FYI for those who have the 30 for 30 series set up in their DVR. Mine didn't pick these up automatically (I didn't think it would pick up tonight's ABC one, but it should have picked up the ESPN ones). I had to manually set these up under the OJ Made in America name.

Come sit on Papa's knee, whippersnapper. The early-mid 70's Bills had a prolific offense featuring the great Electric Company OL anchored by All-Time Bill Reggie McKensie and HOFer Joe D. A fine TE in Paul Seymore and fantastic Wideouts Ahmad Rashad, J.D. Hill and the Great Bobby Chandler#81, aptly directed by the young Arkansas Rifle Joe Ferguson. They lit up NFL scoreboards. While the D may not have been great, they had some fine players too in Earl Edwards, Jim Cheyunski, Dave Washington and talent in the Secondary with Dwight Harrison and Pro Bowler Tony Greene. Spike Jones, John Leypolt and Wallace Francis led a strong ST's. The quick strike Bills often found themselves in shootouts and weren't very successful overall..

They were a very entertaining team with 1 playoff game vs the Steelers in their heyday and a couple more strong seasons.

Somehow you omitted Robert James. Probably one of the top 5 cornerbacks ever.

A few things that I didn't know. It really sets the background. It basically starts with OJ the recruit and the political climate and goes until he meets Nicole. I won't ruin any details but that's part 1.

I was a little underwhelmed, probably because of the hype.

Primarily, no mention of OJ's leg problems as a kid.

I get that they are trying to appeal to non-sports fans with this particular 30 for 30 but they could have mentioned that he was a 5 time All Pro and that he actually had more yards per scrimmage and 23 TD's in 1975.

I always thought that was his best year, the last game of 1973 really blew up his rushing stats but he nearly passed Jim Brown's old record a second time in 1975 and he did a lot more in the pass game.

Not sure if they are going to get to him being traded to SF in the next episode or not.......they kinda' left it like he retired a Bill.