ESPN 30 for 30 - O.J.: Made in America

YoloinOhio

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone else gone on and watched the final two installments online?

It was a bit overhyped, but still a very, very good documentary. I was a bit shocked when they showed the uncensored crime scene photos (apparently they have never been seen before). Extremely graphic.

Edit: Another stunning revelation I never knew is that he made $3M signing memorabilia while in jail. Insane.

Edited by QCity

I totally get that they had to set the scene, but I literally checked the "info" button to be sure I was still watching the OJ show. They made the point, and then some.

Because this documentary is not a biography of OJ Simpson. It's about why and how the event that took place on 6/13/94 became such a national phenomenon. It's amazing how some people don't get it.

Because this documentary is not a biography of OJ Simpson. It's about why and how the event that took place on 6/13/94 became such a national phenomenon. It's amazing how some people don't get it.

Speaking of "don't get it", some of us were just commenting on the amount of time they spent on Rodney King and other events. We felt the point was well covered, then they continued. And continued. I saw it evolve. I think even the uninitiated could have grasped the context of the times with less time spent on it. We "get" what was happening, just not why that amount of time was spent on it. If it truly amazed you, you might want to take a fresh look.

Speaking of "don't get it", some of us were just commenting on the amount of time they spent on Rodney King and other events. We felt the point was well covered, then they continued. And continued. I saw it evolve. I think even the uninitiated could have grasped the context of the times with less time spent on it. We "get" what was happening, just not why that amount of time was spent on it. If it truly amazed you, you might want to take a fresh look.

It's an 8-hour documentary about race relations in the United States surrounding events that specifically took place in Los Angeles, CA. Therefore, the filmmakers are going to spend a significant amount of time on racial events in Los Angeles. You still don't get it.

Carl Douglas, one of the lawyers, doesn't come off well in this documentary. In fact, there are so many people in this documentary that leave me dumbfounded: Douglas, the pastors who admit to using oj to further their cause, fuhrman trying to make us feel sorry for him, the jurors still defending their actions, etc... All of these people have had 22 years to think this over. I'm still waiting for one of them to say, "I was wrong in the way I handled things"

Well at least that raspy voiced guy looked good laughing at how the pimps (er, sex traffickers) would beat up their girls on the street so the rest of them would know to stay in line. One minute after saying how all the white people at the Belair party were phony aholes..........The pimps were keeping it real.

Nobody gets it!

Some things are best not gotten.....

The show is not titled: Rodney King: Made in America.

I, and others, felt the coverage of surrounding events was more than sufficient to provide context. There's no right or wrong. It's just one valid opinion.

I get that some people don't like being told at length about racial injustice...but it is an indispensable part of the story. It needs to be documented in detail- otherwise there is not enough context to make the absolutely incomprehensible verdict comprehensible. That one old woman juror coming out and basically saying it was just retribution...just awful. :(

I agree that a lot of people look bad...the jurors, the "community leaders" who used past injustice to justify more injustice (am i the only who one horrified at both the OJ and Rodney King verdicts? judging by the behavior of some of those "leaders," you had to be for one or the other), OJs lying manipulating lawyers, that maniacal bigot Fuhrman, the incompetent judge, prosecutors...it goes on and on.

But also the exposure of the cult of celebrity that allowed it all...not that we didn't already know it, but that is what fueled the entire fiasco.

It all added up to the most open-and-shut case imaginable morphing into the most improbable acquittal I've ever heard of. looking back all these years later it is even more astonishing.

Some things are best not gotten.....

The show is not titled: Rodney King: Made in America.

I, and others, felt the coverage of surrounding events was more than sufficient to provide context. There's no right or wrong. It's just one valid opinion.

Yeah, I was one of the others up above.

The post was a joke.

Finished watching the documentary today, and I thought it was very remarkable.

I loved how fair this was in it's portrayal of a lot of the people. They did not show any bias. You got to see how these people really felt about what was going on in during this time.

I wish they could have shown more of his time as a Bill, but that wasn't the heart of this story. Still, maybe a little more?

Loved seeing Kenny get a good portion of air time.

The racial injustice in Los Angeles was overdone. I understood why they did it, but some of it could have been cut back.

I did not see why it bothered so many people that OJ wanted to take care of himself and not get behind the civil rights movement. It was his life and his decision. What's the big deal? Yes Mohammed Ali, did a lot for the black community, but there were a lot of people who took advantage of Ali, especially financially. From that perspective, OJ was smart for doing that.

Having to listen to the 911 calls from Nicole just made me feel ill. That poor woman was trapped.

I was not expecting to see all of the crime scene photos. My God! And the children were home when it happened.

There were a lot of slimy people in this documentary. The Dream Team was amazing at how low they were, especially Cochran.

I have no sympathy for the jurors. The prosecution made idiotic moves. What the hell was Fuhrman thinking by pleading the 5th when asked if he had planted the glove?

No one ever asked what possible motive Fuhrman would have for planting the glove. Why?

I didn't know about the autographs OJ was doing while in prison. Wow!

I could go on and on. I really enjoyed this 30 for 30. I didn't watch much of the trial when it was happening, but I knew plenty of people who were riveted by it. It's just as shocking reliving it.

I would have liked it if they had shown how the city of Buffalo and all of it's fans reacted to the whole trial. That would have been very insightful.

Speaking of OJ being a sociopath (or psychopath?) did you guys hear the story that Jeff van Gundy told on air during the NBA game fri night? He said that al cowlings once told pat Riley that OJ made him slow down the bronco during the car chase so that he could listen to the end of the Knicks-rockets playoff game that night.... This is what was important to him at that point in time.

Really don't think he is a sociopath it just come with entitlement. You look at super rich or royal people and they think are above everyone else and the rules don't apply to them and in the process become delusional about reality.

affluenza

Well at least that raspy voiced guy looked good laughing at how the pimps (er, sex traffickers) would beat up their girls on the street so the rest of them would know to stay in line. One minute after saying how all the white people at the Belair party were phony aholes..........The pimps were keeping it real.

:lol: and :(

Finished watching the documentary today, and I thought it was very remarkable.

I loved how fair this was in it's portrayal of a lot of the people. They did not show any bias. You got to see how these people really felt about what was going on in during this time.

I wish they could have shown more of his time as a Bill, but that wasn't the heart of this story. Still, maybe a little more?

Loved seeing Kenny get a good portion of air time.

The racial injustice in Los Angeles was overdone. I understood why they did it, but some of it could have been cut back.

I did not see why it bothered so many people that OJ wanted to take care of himself and not get behind the civil rights movement. It was his life and his decision. What's the big deal? Yes Mohammed Ali, did a lot for the black community, but there were a lot of people who took advantage of Ali, especially financially. From that perspective, OJ was smart for doing that.

Having to listen to the 911 calls from Nicole just made me feel ill. That poor woman was trapped.

I was not expecting to see all of the crime scene photos. My God! And the children were home when it happened.

There were a lot of slimy people in this documentary. The Dream Team was amazing at how low they were, especially Cochran.

I have no sympathy for the jurors. The prosecution made idiotic moves. What the hell was Fuhrman thinking by pleading the 5th when asked if he had planted the glove?

No one ever asked what possible motive Fuhrman would have for planting the glove. Why?

I didn't know about the autographs OJ was doing while in prison. Wow!

I could go on and on. I really enjoyed this 30 for 30. I didn't watch much of the trial when it was happening, but I knew plenty of people who were riveted by it. It's just as shocking reliving it.

I would have liked it if they had shown how the city of Buffalo and all of it's fans reacted to the whole trial. That would have been very insightful.

It was important to show that in the documentary, because the guy who didn't really care to associate himself with the civil rights movement when things were going his way, had to cling to its' benefits to get away with murder.

@YShutdownCorner

With 'O.J' done, a ranking of the best @30for30 documentaries: http://yhoo.it/28Jk9Fx

Pretty good list, The Two Escobars, Elway to Marino and Hillsborough (hard one to watch) are all outstanding and right at the top of my list

IMO they are missing 'The U' which was fantastic and a must see for anyone who was a college football fan in the 80s. Catching Hell was a very interesting retelling of the Bartman story; the fan videos from the game really brought the experience of that event home.

Benji was ok but overrated. He got shot because he mouthed off to the wrong guy. Unfortunate but not a unique story. Playing for the mob was good but not great IMO.

Pretty good list, The Two Escobars, Elway to Marino and Hillsborough (hard one to watch) are all outstanding and right at the top of my list

IMO they are missing 'The U' which was fantastic and a must see for anyone who was a college football fan in the 80s. Catching Hell was a very interesting retelling of the Bartman story; the fan videos from the game really brought the experience of that event home.

Benji was ok but overrated. He got shot because he mouthed off to the wrong guy. Unfortunate but not a unique story. Playing for the mob was good but not great IMO.

I think "Fantastic Lies" (the Duke Lacross piece) was pretty amazing as well.