Kevin Hogan

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Hogan is a real sleeper in this draft. The only real knock on him appears to be his unorthodox delivery, which may or may not be correctable. My suspicion is that he can very easily be a solid, system-style QB that can win some games if everything around him is up to snuff. His experience in a pro style offense -- one that Greg Roman helped to institute no less -- will enable him to be serviceable right away. I would draft him as a solid backup -- with the possibility that he could someday be a starter in the Matt Hasselbeck/Andy Dalton mold. Not bad at all for a guy that we can probably get in the 4th rounder or later. If nothing else, I think he projects to be an upgrade over EJ Manuel -- and insurance in case Tyrod lays an egg this season or bolts afterwards for greener pastures.

Ok, since it appears that some things were somewhat overlooked, let me go back and reiterate on a few things.

WEAKNESSES: Elongated delivery. Struggles with accuracy on deep passes. Lacks great mobility that is increasingly valued in the NFL.

That's three huge areas of concern, delivery, deep accuracy and lacks mobility. Then you have to take into consideration that he was playing behind an elite offensive line that gave him time to throw and that simply won't be the case in the NFL.

So, if you are looking to draft the opposite of Tyrod Taylor then have at it. There are real reasons as to why Hogan has a 5th to 6th round grade. Guys like him are huge projects that have very slim odds of working out.

Ok, since it appears that some things were somewhat overlooked, let me go back and reiterate on a few things.

WEAKNESSES: Elongated delivery. Struggles with accuracy on deep passes. Lacks great mobility that is increasingly valued in the NFL.

That's three huge areas of concern, delivery, deep accuracy and lacks mobility. Then you have to take into consideration that he was playing behind an elite offensive line that gave him time to throw and that simply won't be the case in the NFL.

So, if you are looking to draft the opposite of Tyrod Taylor then have at it. There are real reasons as to why Hogan has a 5th to 6th round grade. Guys like him are huge projects that have very slim odds of working out.

There are legitimate concerns about Hogan, but lack of mobility is definitely not one of them. He is a highly mobile QB, especially for his size. This is backed up by his 40 times, his rushing statistics, and the fact that even in its pro-set offense, Stanford regularly called designed runs for him. Anyone who watched more than a few Stanford games over the past four years knows that Hogan's mobility is a strength rather than a limitation. He reminds me a lot of Andrew Luck in that regard.

There are legitimate concerns about Hogan, but lack of mobility is definitely not one of them. He is a highly mobile QB, especially for his size. This is backed up by his 40 times, his rushing statistics, and the fact that even in its pro-set offense, Stanford regularly called designed runs for him. Anyone who watched more than a few Stanford games over the past four years knows that Hogan's mobility is a strength rather than a limitation. He reminds me a lot of Andrew Luck in that regard.

He moves very well. One of the endearing things about him, much like with Fitz, is his fondness for lowering a shoulder and trying to wreck a defender.

You're chipping away at my stone heart for Hogan. I don't like it!

He's definitely mobile. He actually reminds me of Mark Brunell, which I think is his absolute ceiling for a NFL career.

He moves very well. One of the endearing things about him, much like with Fitz, is his fondness for lowering a shoulder and trying to wreck a defender.

And as much I loved Fitz doing so, it's the last thing you want your starting qb doing.

He'd have to pick his moments better but I'd never try to curb natural enthusiasm for the game. He's proven durable enough to sustain it.

there's such a huge difference between college and the pros. I love the competitive fire too but your qb has to be smart. You don't get anything extra by being "tough."

Well if he is a backup who has to play, then it is s problem.

Drafting a guy to be a backup qb seems completely insane to me.

when you have a encumbant starter? And when your drafting him in the later rounds?

Frankly I dont see anything insane about it.....do you propose that we use one of our premium picks in a year where ALL of the QBs need to hold a clipboard for a while?

there's such a huge difference between college and the pros. I love the competitive fire too but your qb has to be smart. You don't get anything extra by being "tough."

If we are talking about Hogan....I think that is one of his best attributes. He is a smart player.

He isnt perfect....but none of them are.

When you're talking about #4 vs #150 quite a bit actually.

it means a 5 year vs 4 year contract which for QBs is very important.

Yeah especially when one of your defense players take a shot on you when he does not like your attitude (it has happened in past with Bills)

I have fine with QB being tough; Jimbo was tough and he'd tackle anyone from opposing team who got his hands on one of his interceptions or fumbles; Big Ben is tough and takes hits holding ball for right moment.

Can he be smart and tough going down when has the first down rather than trying to extend play and get hurt knocking him out of game?

when you have a encumbant starter? And when your drafting him in the later rounds?

Frankly I dont see anything insane about it.....do you propose that we use one of our premium picks in a year where ALL of the QBs need to hold a clipboard for a while?

If we are talking about Hogan....I think that is one of his best attributes. He is a smart player.

He isnt perfect....but none of them are.

I just struggle to see any upside with Hogan. I think he absolutely maxed out his physical potential in college. I see at absolutely best case scenario a middle of the pack backup qb.

Why not just draft a guy with higher upside to develop for a year? Then draft another guy next year if we have to move on from Taylor. I think Hogan is just spinning your wheels when there are a million Hogans to get as a backup qb. Jmo.

I just struggle to see any upside with Hogan. I think he absolutely maxed out his physical potential in college. I see at absolutely best case scenario a middle of the pack backup qb.

Why not just draft a guy with higher upside to develop for a year? Then draft another guy next year if we have to move on from Taylor. I think Hogan is just spinning your wheels when there are a million Hogans to get as a backup qb. Jmo.

C as long as it isnt with one of our premium picks I am not tied to Hogan at all

best value at the time we pick......

C as long as it isnt with one of our premium picks I am not tied to Hogan at all

best value at the time we pick......

I agree. I think after the first 2 rounds, you should go most upside in regards to qb. But I trust Whaley a ton more than Rex so I'll trust his judgement.

He also throws well on the run, unlike EJ.