NFL Execs say Bills should get moving on new stadium

Of course Mara understands this. Pegula in private would admit that a new stadium is inevitable. And he would cite the same reasons we all already know, doc.

There's no way that this was not already thoroughly discussed prior to the Pegulas being unanimously approved as new owners of the Franchise.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way that this was not already thoroughly discussed prior to the Pegulas being unanimously approved as new owners of the Franchise.

Of course it was. That's why the reaction to this story here is typical bogus "I hate the NFL!!" nonsense.

Of course it was. That's why the reaction to this story here is typical bogus "I hate the NFL!!" nonsense.

I think the majority of that is coming from the fans who don't want to spend more money on a major ticket hike. With that hike their tailgating traditions might be forever altered if not eliminated all together.

I can understand the hate, I'm not fortunate enough to go to games regularly as I'm not local but i think we can all see where people are coming from. Some of these guys have spent most of their adult lives having tickets and tailgates, why would they want to lose that for a glitz and glam stadium designed to appeal to corporations and big money?

If this was such a huge issue, doesn't it make sense that the NFL owners would have made future plans for a new stadium part of the criterion before approving the Pegulas, or whoever, to buy the Bills less than 2 years ago?

Personally, I have a hunch that the Pegulas already have something in mind..they may have cooled their jets a little, when they realized how emotional an issue it would be for fans....like maybe Bills fans are more emotionally attached to the Ralph than they realized. I just find it hard to believe they wouldn't have anticipated this...and I have a hunch too, they (the Pegulas) will end up footing a significant part of the bill for a new stadium...they have invested way too much into the city of Buffalo (it seems to me...admittedly, not a businessman) to not have a plan in mind.

Great point, and you can add the new one in Minnesota to that as well.

We need to stop thinking in terms of a "where we like to watch a football game" and start thinking in terms of a billion dollar business. That is the reality of the situation.

and atlanta

I'm against it because the old stadium is fine and allows for cheaper ticket prices (I don't go to games so it doesn't affect me, but it affects those who do). A new stadium will force higher prices that will price a lot of fans out.

i very early in this mentioned the idea of fans that dont like the ralph maybe coming back to the live game some. id bet there is atleast some market that doesnt want to go in december, or sit next to the folks partying in the cheapest of the cheap seats. it may shift the demographics around some, but it wont be an empty house.

If this was such a huge issue, doesn't it make sense that the NFL owners would have made future plans for a new stadium part of the criterion before approving the Pegulas, or whoever, to buy the Bills less than 2 years ago?

Personally, I have a hunch that the Pegulas already have something in mind..they may have cooled their jets a little, when they realized how emotional an issue it would be for fans....like maybe Bills fans are more emotionally attached to the Ralph than they realized. I just find it hard to believe they wouldn't have anticipated this...and I have a hunch too, they (the Pegulas) will end up footing a significant part of the bill for a new stadium...they have invested way too much into the city of Buffalo (it seems to me...admittedly, not a businessman) to not have a plan in mind.

id agree with this all. i think its happening, and i think the pegulas are going to be fine with the plan, if not driving it themselves.

id agree with this all. i think its happening, and i think the pegulas are going to be fine with the plan, if not driving it themselves.

.....and a little perceived pressure from the league might help to take the heat off the Pegulas with fans who are stuck on the Ralph.

Maybe they were counting on that new stadium in Toronto or LA and got caught off guard. Who ever heard of Pegula until he rode into town and bought the Sabres. Jacobs couldn't buy them because of the Bruins and Trump was just a joke.

I think the majority of that is coming from the fans who don't want to spend more money on a major ticket hike. With that hike their tailgating traditions might be forever altered if not eliminated all together.

I can understand the hate, I'm not fortunate enough to go to games regularly as I'm not local but i think we can all see where people are coming from. Some of these guys have spent most of their adult lives having tickets and tailgates, why would they want to lose that for a glitz and glam stadium designed to appeal to corporations and big money?

These guys will still be able to buy tickets and probably tailgate (although that isn't the main topic of discussion). They will just have to pay more of what other fans pay--at least the average. That's not going to price many people out.

Obviously a new stadium will be needed at some point and the Pegulas realize this. When it's needed, however, is another matter entirely.

The lease is up in less than 6 years. When would you think it is needed? Does Pegula sign another long term lease? If not, he needs somewhere to go in 2023.

if you could retro-fit the ralph for 500 mill, or build a new stadium with all the bells and whistles for over a billion, the answer is easy.. NO new stadium. . i may be missing something, but all the rhetoric of revenue generating that a new stadium allegedly would produce rings hollow , there are no guarantees .. so so many variables

Edited by dwight in philly

I realize that it's just one example (and admittedly it's the only one that I looked up), but LucasOil is booked with 21 non-football events from now until the end of the year.

http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/upcoming-events.aspx

Am I to believe that the Bills wouldn't want to do something similar?

In terms of volume of events, I think that's comparable to what we would see in this area. But how many of those events would be better off being hosted in the ~19,000 capacity FNC? Weddings and Proms? I feel the big draw of stadium concerts is that you are outside in the sunshine or under the stars. I've been to a concert at Lucas Oil, it's a pretty stale experience compared to outdoor venues like The Ralph or even Darien Lake. And don't get me started on the atrocity of seeing a concert in the Rogers Centre/Skydome.

I think a lot of fans take the "build it and they will come" attitude with regards to a dome, but I'm not so certain that will be the case.

if you could retro-fit the ralph for 500 mill, or build a new stadium with all the bells and whistles for over a billion, the answer is easy.. NO new stadium. . i may be missing something, but all the rhetoric of revenue generating that a new stadium allegedly would produce rings hollow , there are no guarantees .. so so many variables

Please read my first post in the thread as to why a retrofit can't work. Keep in mind I used to do this for a living. I can speak from the team perspective.

Please read my first post in the thread as to why a retrofit can't work. Keep in mind I used to do this for a living. I can speak from the team perspective.

i respect what you did for a living and you make a solid case , no question about it, i just think it should be thoroughly thought out, as it will, both sides on here are dug in and it makes for some interesting exchanges of thoughts on the subject.IMHO, i think nothing has been ruled out and watching it play out will be interesting to say the least. before the ralph was built, there was much talk, controversy about type and location, very heated and some erie county legislators actually got in trouble criminally, so some of us have been thru this before.. will just watch it unfold

Edited by dwight in philly

i respect what you did for a living and you make a solid case , no question about it, i just think it should be thoroughly thought out, as it will, both sides on here are dug in and it makes for some interesting exchanges of thoughts on the subject.IMHO, i think nothing has been ruled out and watching it play out will be interesting to say the least. before the ralph was built, there was much talk, controversy about type and location, very heated and some erie county legislators actually got in trouble criminally, so some of us have been thru this before.. will just watch it unfold

I was a part of a $200M upgrade. I was a part of a lease negotiation. I really do get what's being said in those rooms. The retrofit alienates too many current fans. That's its downfall. People don't downgrade locations. They don't. You can't afford to alienate that many people. No one will ever come out and say that but I promise that is at the top of their list. How do we make as much money as we can while making as many people happy as we can? Edited by Kirby Jackson

I was a part of a $200M upgrade. I was a part of a lease negotiation. I really do get what's being said in those rooms. The retrofit alienates too many current fans. That's its downfall. People don't downgrade locations. They don't. You can't afford to alienate that many people. No one will ever come out and say that but I promise that is at the top of their lost. How do we make as much money as we can while making as many people happy as we can?

I don't doubt any of this for a second. Most posts here are from people who are looking at the situation from a personal perspective and how this will affect them. What would you prefer? That doesn't matter. Things will progress as they need to and they will try to minimize the anger, but it will move ahead. I just can't see it any other way.