Safety Robert Blanton Visits and Signs with the Bills

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ChrisTrapasso

Blanton ran 4.70 in the 40-yard dash at the 2012 combine. Not fast. But he had super-quick three-cone (6.71) and short-shuttle (3.97) times.

Blanton was a 4-star recruit in the '08 HS class. Rivals ranked him as No. 21 DB in the country. Aaron Williams was No. 1 DB in that class.

Here's to Ed Reed making him and the other Safeties better players.

Jim Dray, Robert Blanton, and Deonte Thompson is not what I had in mind when DW said "dust settles" secondary market guys.

I know we have very little spending money. And I don't require "i've heard of him!" for everyone we bring in. But these seem like "Futures" contract guys.

I didnt realize we signed Thompson. Thanks for the update

@ArifHasanNFL

@ChrisTrapasso wrote this before the beginning of the season. His tackling angles improved, but still not good.

Cd2S_IaXIAMYcHQ.jpg

Maybe AW can be of help with the transition of corner to safety. Looks like a solid depth guy who has starting experience. Nothing flashy but exactly the type of signing i think we all wanted to see. We got better.

Jim Dray, Robert Blanton, and Deonte Thompson is not what I had in mind when DW said "dust settles" secondary market guys.

I know we have very little spending money. And I don't require "i've heard of him!" for everyone we bring in. But these seem like "Futures" contract guys.

Who were you expecting?

Its time to start looking past the "names" and take a look at the actual production due to our cap this year. If two players are basically the same production and one is cheaper......you take that player.

Good deal for the Bills to see what this guy can do.

@TomPelissero

#Bills gave ex-#Vikings safety Robert Blanton an $80,000 signing bonus on 1-year, $840K deal.

@mikerodak

Mike Rodak Retweeted Tom Pelissero

Why $80k? Allows Blanton's deal to qualify for veteran minimum salary benefit. $600k cap charge instead of $840k.

Blanton is a good signing. Very strong against the run. Above-average cover skills.

Good depth signing. Safety position has taken hits in recent years with injuries and the Bills have just been throwing CBs at the position. It'll be nice to have a solid backup.

I love the emphasis on depth in FA. We have been lacking depth in several positions over the past several years, and they seem to be addressing that now. The draft is likely where we find a starting LB (or two, or LB/DE), etc.

Lets face it.....one of the D's main problems was lack of quality safety play after Williams went down.

Could be insurance for Williams

How much salary cap do we save if Road Rage quits assuming Bills go after portion of signing bonus?

Who is Felton?

He took Freddie's place.

Blanton is a good signing. Very strong against the run. Above-average cover skills.

I love the emphasis on depth in FA. We have been lacking depth in several positions over the past several years, and they seem to be addressing that now. The draft is likely where we find a starting LB (or two, or LB/DE), etc.

ChrisTrapasso seems to think otherwise (see earlier in thread) but no idea on how valid his evaluation; he may be good or may be as good as evaluating QBs as Barbarian.