Safety Robert Blanton Visits and Signs with the Bills

Blanton saw his playing time take a sharp decline last season and is looking for a new home.

Good deal for the Bills to see what this guy can do.

@TomPelissero

#Bills gave ex-#Vikings safety Robert Blanton an $80,000 signing bonus on 1-year, $840K deal.

@mikerodak

Mike Rodak Retweeted Tom Pelissero

Why $80k? Allows Blanton's deal to qualify for veteran minimum salary benefit. $600k cap charge instead of $840k.

@mikerodak

Will actually be a $680k cap hit for Blanton b/c his bonus gets charged separately, but either way, Bills were able to shave off some cost.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice depth signing, solid Rambo replacement, nothing too splashy but a decent move. I would like to see a pure NT brought onto the roster, give the team depth and more draft flexibility.

a poster in another thread laid out All the NTs Rex has had with Ravens and jets. They were all late round picks or UDFAs. I'm guessing he uses one of the 6th rounders. We also have tj Barnes on roster who we signed from jets PS last year.

From a Vikings fan, who do we believe?

Blanton was solid pre Zimmer but has been in Zimmer's dog house the past two seasons. Blanton is solid in coverage, doesn't seem to give up too many big plays. However, he's pretty bad in the run game and doesn't do well around the LOS, got demoted due to taking poor angles. He's more of a Cover Two safety, maybe a single high FS. Blanton isn't a terrible backup and at times seemed like a better option than Andrew Sendejo.

Blanton was a CB in college but made the transition to Safety in the NFL.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=576671

Perhaps a replacement for Rambo?

I loved Rambo's willingness to blast people.....but his coverage skills ugh

Is this guy better then rambo? I honestly hope we keep Rambo as a back up too, hes a gamer and makes plays regardless of his coverage limitations. he played well late in the season last year.

Is this guy better then rambo? I honestly hope we keep Rambo as a back up too, hes a gamer and makes plays regardless of his coverage limitations. he played well late in the season last year.

imo he had some splash INTs but also was not technically sound and ended up often being a liability which led to giving up big plays too. I liked him and would like to see him back, but the film may show he's not worth it.

Anyone know why we didn't re-sign Rambo? Seems like the guy played well, made big plays, contributed on ST but for whatever reason never got much love.

All we know with many of them is Bills choose to not tag them or choose to not offer them contracts possibly due to cap/signing Glenn concerns. They may be offered contracts later after they have a chance to apply with other teams. It is possible some of them could be back with long term, team friendly terms.

All we know with many of them is Bills choose to not tag them or choose to not offer them contracts possibly due to cap/signing Glenn concerns. They may be offered contracts later after they have a chance to apply with other teams. It is possible some of them could be back with long term, team friendly terms.

imo he had some splash INTs but also was not technically sound and ended up often being a liability which led to giving up big plays too. I liked him and would like to see him back, but the film may show he's not worth it.

I think what kooliad said might ring true. he wasnt good enough to sign in FA but maybe a bottom of the barrel signing in mid summer, I do want him back on the team as depth tho, hes !@#$in RAMBO!!

ALSO IS BLANTON ANY GOOD? I NEED ANSWERS DAMNIT! (POUNDS TABLE LIKE A SPOILED BRAT)

Edited by Marty McFly

well, there go the compensation picks for next year

Nope. Bradham and Brooks were the Bills' only UFA's to sign elsewhere while only Blanton was an UFA (Dray and the other Bills players who signed elsewhere were cut). So the Bills should get 1 for losing Bradham.