Pats wheeling and dealing, trade for Martellus Bennet

FireChan

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After trading for TE Martellus Bennett, New England signed former Chicago LB Shea McClellin to a three-year deal, a source tells Adam Schefter. McClellin, 26, ranked third on the Bears with 81 tackles last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/16/patriots-land-shea-mcclellin/

replaces Jerod Mayo, who retired. Also, he is turrible.

Another Chicago - NE connection, DT Akiem Hicks left in FA, ironically to Chicago.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@jasonlacanfora

Would not expect Pats to release Danny Amendola soon. Trying to rework his deal to keep him around. Exploring that thoroughly first

I'm sure he'll play for under market value like the rest of them so they can afford the Chris hogans and Shea McLellins of the world.

Edited by YoloinOhio

As I have said before......the only thing that really makes the pats genious in their off season moves is they have Tom Brady

They have NOT been good in either their drafting overall or their their free agent pick ups....but when you have a hall of fame QB behind center....it covers up a lot of that.

If Brady ends up losing to father time (who is undefeated) all the genious moves could blow up in their faces.

The problem is....Brady has been staying one step ahead of father time.

I'd only worry about Bennett and Long if we're having this discussion a couple years ago.

Both haven't done a thing in years and Bennett has gotten himself removed from three teams now. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see both cut before the season.

I'd only worry about Bennett and Long if we're having this discussion a couple years ago.

Both haven't done a thing in years and Bennett has gotten himself removed from three teams now. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see both cut before the season.

Long maybe. Bennett will likely stick thinking he'll be Aaron Hernandez in 2011. But he'll likely be a cancer in the locker room trying to get his catches so that he can hit FA next year and score big on what will probably be his last contract.

Edited by Doc

I completely disagree. They just gave up another elite dLine player in Jones which will turn out to be just as bad as the Seymour trade.

If you think Chris Long isn't a huge downgrade you haven't been watching him play. As far as Bennett goes, we will see what kind of impact he has when he's getting 2 targets a game and starts his act again.

Poor drafters, poor traders. Its Brady a great TE and some role players.

We played em tough last time. Was proud of our D and what Rex and Thurman did to Brady. Next year we close the deal.

Seymour was a bad trade?

The got Solder with that 17th pick. And through a series of subsequent trades (since they now had 2 1st rounders in 2011) with the Saints, they parlayed that into more picks in the 2012 draft that ultimately led to Chandler Jones and more wheeling dealing that led to Hightower.

What was that about being bad drafters, by the way?

After the pats traded Seymour, they won the division 7 straight years, went to the playoffs every year, played in 3 AFCC games, won 2 and won a SB.

After the Raiders traded for Seymour, he stole over $40 million and played only 2 full seasons. He was out of football 3 years later. During his time with the Raiders, they won 5,8,8 and 4 games.

How did the pats suffer on that deal?

Seymour was a bad trade?

The got Solder with that 17th pick. And through a series of subsequent trades (since they now had 2 1st rounders in 2011) with the Saints, they parlayed that into more picks in the 2012 draft that ultimately led to Chandler Jones and more wheeling dealing that led to Hightower.

What was that about being bad drafters, by the way?

After the pats traded Seymour, they won the division 7 straight years, went to the playoffs every year, played in 3 AFCC games, won 2 and won a SB.

After the Raiders traded for Seymour, he stole over $40 million and played only 2 full seasons. He was out of football 3 years later. During his time with the Raiders, they won 5,8,8 and 4 games.

How did the pats suffer on that deal?

All their wheeling and dealing is fine. But they win because they have one of the top 3 QB's (if not the best) of all time. And one of the best head coaches of all time. The rest of their roster is always decent, but not always great. I think overall it was better early in their 15 year run with the likes of Bruschi, McGinnest, Seymour, Moss, Troy Brown, et al. Now of course they have Gronkowski-who all time great. Hightower, Collins, Edelman are very good. And the rest kind of all know their roles. But are not spectacular.

But what sets them apart is how they go about their business. The "Patriot Way" is always for the good of the team. They do not keep problem players around. They do not tolerate guys w off the field issues. They do not tolerate guys who play half heartedly on the field. They do not tolerate complainers in the locker room. Its the Patriots way or the highway. The team is always bigger than any one player. Unless their name is Tom Brady. But even he is a team guy who only cares about winning. Guys like Mario Williams, Pac Man Jones, Vontez Berfict have no place in Foxboro.

The Patriots, Detroit Red Wings and the St Louis Cardinals are the three best organizations in professional sports. Anyone beg to differ?

But regardless, lets kick the Pats ass this year for a change. No talk Rex. Just action.

great weapons for Brady and they improved their O-line! Yeah, they figure out a way to stay under the cap and make the playoffs every year and we can't figure out how to even be a threat.

Cooper doesn't improve their OL.