Why don't the Pegulas take advantage of the NFL Luxury Tax?

I see so many teams signing their best players year after year (you telling me Bob Kraft isn't paying some luxury tax to the NFL for signing Brady to another extension)...what about the Steelers (Big Ben, L. Bell, WR's etc), the Broncos (with Manning, Von Miller, D. Thomas). The list goes on and on of teams that are paying a luxury tax because they go over the salary cap. The article I read awhile ago said the owners approved a bastardized version of the NBA and MLB luxury tax, so why not go ahead and spend money on our good players to retain them and to attract bigger stars.

The rule is in place for a reason...pay a little tax if you go over the cap and, in exchange, you get good players.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL has what many interpret as a "soft cap" with teams going over the soft cap being charged with a per dollar tax for those amounts over the soft cap value. See Wikipedia and other sources. So the Pegulas could simply pay some large contracts and then pay a small tax for going over the soft cap threshold. I do recall there being discussion among several owners who wanted to move to a luxury tax model; just researched it and can't find the exact article but I believe the NFL By Laws were amended accordingly to impose a "soft luxury user tax" on teams over the limit. I'll keep searching and assume the Pegulas are putting their number crunchers on it as well.

The NFL has what many interpret as a "soft cap" with teams going over the soft cap being charged with a per dollar tax for those amounts over the soft cap value. See Wikipedia and other sources. So the Pegulas could simply pay some large contracts and then pay a small tax for going over the soft cap threshold. I do recall there being discussion among several owners who wanted to move to a luxury tax model; just researched it and can't find the exact article but I believe the NFL By Laws were amended accordingly to impose a "soft luxury user tax" on teams over the limit. I'll keep searching and assume the Pegulas are putting their number crunchers on it as well.

Wrong and this would have to have been negotiated with the players union. Teams can be fined and draft picks taken away if they are over the cap

Edited by nucci

Lol. Wikipedia is bad source of info for many things. Like others have said, the NFL has a hard cap. No team can go above the cap.

Lol. Wikipedia is bad source of info for many things. Like others have said, the NFL has a hard cap. No team can go above the cap.

You tellin' me some of these teams like the Patriots and Seahawks don't go over the cap?? Ever??

You tellin' me some of these teams like the Patriots and Seahawks don't go over the cap?? Ever??

Not in an official contractual way. But they circumvent the cap by co-investing in businesses owned by a prima dona whiny QBs.

Ah yes, the Ol' reliable trustworthy Wikipedia

When you want the facts, you gotta use sources from the internet that allow users to post the Information........

Baseball has a soft cap where if you go over the only penalty is a tax. Hockey and football have hard caps that you cannot go over on. You can do some accounting tricks to work around it, but you can't go over it

No, that is what is in basketball and baseball. The NFL has a hard cap.

Never

Not in an official contractual way. But they circumvent the cap by co-investing in businesses owned by a prima dona whiny QBs.

That's about the long and short of it.

Never

You can of course be over the cap but not once the league year starts... you must be within the cap for your top 51 by the start of the league year. Hence putting the tag on Glenn required Mario's release.

Fergy, let me help you out.

The best way to think of it is what the players in each sport have on their heads when they're playing their position in a game.

Basketball - they're nekkid, so they've got No Cap.

Bas-a-boll - they wear soft cloth hats, so there's a Soft Cap.

Foosball on the other hand - they wear hard helmuts, so there's a Hard Cap.

I know it can be a bit confusing, but see for yourself:

Michael-Jordan-Net-Worth.jpg

PabloSandoval-640x426.jpg

USATSI_8869830.jpg

Edited by Nanker