Dolphins Transition O. Vernon (update: signs with Giants)

I'm convinced the extension was to avoid the chatter about this being his final year. Make no mistake another losing season and he is toast.

and this is why Marrone took a job there. As I could see him and Jax QB coach (Nate Hackett who can tout his great work with Bortles last year) push the Jaguars to give them a second chance.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and this is why Marrone took a job there. As I could see him and Jax QB coach (Nate Hackett who can tout his great work with Bortles last year) push the Jaguars to give them a second chance.

Hackett genuinely did garner a lot of respect around the league for his work with Bortles last year. I actually think Hackett may very well end up being a good OC... but he was not ready for it and totally out of his depth here. He had done it for a couple of years at Syracuse but his NFL experience was only as a Quality Control coach. He just didn't have enough answers to questions posed by defenses.... but equally he was provided a messy o-line and the EJ, Thad, Tuel, Orton cast at Quarterback.

Jets will obviously pick the guy Buffalo wants in the draft one spot ahead of us.

Except they pick one spot behind us....

He must have pics of Shaka Khan doing nefarious things in London to get an extension.

I fully expect you to live up to your reputation and performance on this board and provide a link.

kj

I say we be dicks and sign him. Seriously. He is underrated. He could replace Mario if Mario leaves.

Awesome!!

Jacksonville is where I see Mario ending up. Perfect fit in Bradley's scheme. Him one side... Dante Fowler back healthy on the other,,,, that should finally give them some pass rush eh?

Slightly off topic?

Combined reasons. For one they're already tight to the cap and the franchise tag for DE comes in at $15.7 mil instead of $12.7 mil. But more importantly, if they franchise him nobody's going to make him an offer. They never do. Nobody ever gives 2 first round picks and outbids a team for a player (okay it has happened but I think only twice n the history of the tag - so basically it never happens). The argument of using the franchise tag to get compensation always comes up but it never happens.

So with the transition tag teams have nothing to lose so they will make an offer. Maybe Miami can't match and lose him, but the offer will be structured like all offers with a lot less than $12.7 mil cap hit the first year. This gives the Fins the opportunity to keep the guy at a lesser cap hit than the tag amount.

With the franchise tag nobody's going to make an offer. And as soon as the guy signs the tag Miami is stuck paying him $15.7 mil and is stuck with $15.7 mil on the cap for the season and he'll most likely be gone next season anyway.

Transition tag gives them a reasonable chance of matching an offer with a smaller cap hit. Franchise tag risks not reaching a new cap friendly deal, paying through the nose and whacking the cap for the season with basically no chance of the player even getting an offer.

Interesting and educational explanation. Thanks, that clears up some questions.

Hackett genuinely did garner a lot of respect around the league for his work with Bortles last year. I actually think Hackett may very well end up being a good OC... but he was not ready for it and totally out of his depth here. He had done it for a couple of years at Syracuse but his NFL experience was only as a Quality Control coach. He just didn't have enough answers to questions posed by defenses.... but equally he was provided a messy o-line and the EJ, Thad, Tuel, Orton cast at Quarterback.

and to top it off, no qb coach for year one....

it was embarassingly poor planning to have someone so green have to take on so much out of the gate - only a couple years of mid tier college scheming and in he walks with a rookie qb, installing his own scheme at a high level for the first time, and a head coach above him that is a motivator/organizer not a scheme guy (even a D schemer could have challenged him more in advance)

i wouldnt be shocked if he works his way back up to OC and does decent with it but it wasnt a good situation here at all.

Edited by NoSaint

and to top it off, no qb coach for year one....

it was embarassingly poor planning to have someone so green have to take on so much out of the gate - only a couple years of mid tier college scheming and in he walks with a rookie qb, installing his own scheme at a high level for the first time, and a head coach above him that is a motivator/organizer not a scheme guy (even a D schemer could have challenged him more in advance)

i wouldnt be shocked if he works his way back up to OC and does decent with it but it wasnt a good situation here at all.

Totally agree.

MMQB story on how the deal went down - really interesting how any why he chose NYG over Jax. And that he was born in Miami, played HS and college football in Miami and all 4 years of NFL in Miami. And the Dolphins showed him no love, said nah, go ahead and leave. We will go with two old guys. Myopia.

http://mmqb.si.com/2016/03/10/olivier-vernon-new-york-giants-nfl-free-agency-blockbuster-contract

Edited by YoloinOhio