Teams should get a cap break for re-signing their own

Virgil

I've always wondered why the NFL doesn't use cap breaks to help teams re-sign their own players. The NBA does a similar thing, allowing for home teams to offer players more money than other teams to stay with them. They still have to shell out the money, but it only counts a fraction against the cap.

So, if we gave Glenn 12 million, only 10 million would count against the cap.

If the purpose is continuity, I think this is a great idea. There would be provisions. Like, drafted players get a 20% cap exemption. FA's who've been with your team for 3 or more years get a 10%.

Thoughts? Reasons why it wouldn't work?

I'm curious how the NFL weighs in on this.... "No thanks our brand loyalty is working already irrespective of FA market and this sells more jerseys and drives dynamics into fantasy " or "agree-die hard fans are the biggest dollars per head and need to identify with a group of players that stick around."

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I've always wondered why the NFL doesn't use cap breaks to help teams re-sign their own players. The NBA does a similar thing, allowing for home teams to offer players more money than other teams to stay with them. They still have to shell out the money, but it only counts a fraction against the cap.

If the purpose is continuity, I think this is a great idea. There would be provisions. Like, drafted players get a 20% cap exemption. FA's who've been with your team for 3 or more years get a 10%.

The cap is very reasonable for teams as it stands now. Very few teams are ever really in 'cap hell'. It's usually just reporters and some fans that think they know all there is to know on handling the cap. In a matter of a few hours yesterday the Bills created about 12MM in cap relief, and have the ability to save quite a bit more without doing to many drastic moves. Everyone needs to just relax regarding the cap. I'm more worried about the coaching staff/

This defeats the purpose of the cap, which is essentially macro-level price-fixing. Besides, the movement of players in FA is what helps make the NFL a year round business - something for which the TV networks are willing to pay massively! The "tag" gives enough leverage to organizations to keep their own. Just be glad we aren't in the same boat as Denver re: Von Miller, Brock Osweiller, and Peyton Manning. They could end up losing both quarterbacks and overpaying a LB that could blow a drug test and lose significant playing time!

I'm pretty confident that we'll retain our LT and LG. They'll cut or restructure Mario, Graham, and McKelvin. The only starter of consequence that will be lost is Bradham. I think we'll be able to replace him in FA. (He and Mario should check in with The Schwartz in Philly!)

Yeah, the cba was definitely negotiated without that in mind, so it makes it tough to implement. That shouldn't make it impossible though.

Another problem might be lots of strategic renegotiations to lesson the cap amount.

You mention the nba, has it been effective in keeping players on their team there?

I also wonder why you need a lot of cap space when you're mostly interested in drafting and retaining players.

Just be glad we aren't in the same boat as Denver re: Von Miller, Brock Osweiller, and Peyton Manning. They could end up losing both quarterbacks and overpaying a LB that could blow a drug test and lose significant playing time

I would love it if we were in Denver's boat. Buffalo would still be celebrating the Super Bowl and wouldn't be so bad to worry about losing our hall of fame QB vs. a promising young QB.

I just find it strange that someone suggests this in a year the Bills have cap concerns. Never read anything like this here before. The simplest solution, fund a way to make the cap work for your team.

And winning would be nice too.

The NBA pays fewer players per team and one or two players can really make a difference. i don't like a soft money idea because you get back to the days when deep pocketed owners simply rule.

But now we have a deep pocketed owner... :devil:

NFL is all about parity. this idea would allow popular, more wealthy teams to keep their teams together more easily than smaller market , less well off teams. the Bills would ultimately likely be hurt by such a change

It's about money. A soft cap would lead to more spending, not only by teams directly spending more via the cap breaks given for re-signing their own, but also other teams trying to keep pace. The NFL has the weakest players' union among all major league sports so the cap will remain a hard cap, which is by far the most owner friendly of cap structures.

Aren't well run teams already doing this? And they are dumping expensive players at the end of their contracts and replacing them with cheaper players?

Players become too expensive to keep, they move on when another team overpays for them. They stay and grow fat and happy when their current team overpays them. This is how it works. Clever FO's already know this.

I've thought about this too over the years and would be OK with some concept along these lines. Another thought I had was to allow bonuses to players that say perform in the top 5% or 10% but that doesn't count against the cap. This would be money given to players who are really good, but doesn't hurt your cap.

Is that true? They just go over the cap, they don't have less "cost" IIRC.

The NBA cap is superior to the NFL system IMO. But it's hard to compare soft cap practices vs. hard cap ones.

Edited by FireChan

Is that true? They just go over the cap, they don't have less "cost" IIRC.

The NBA cap is superior to the NFL system IMO. But it's hard to compare soft cap practices vs. hard cap ones.

The NBA has a soft cap. They are able to offer their own free agents more than any other team. Also teams are able to go over the cap but are required to pay a luxury tax. I'm not sure how the contracts of re-signed players are accounted for.

MLB has no cap at all. Their union is by far the strongest of any US sports league.

The NBA has a soft cap. They are able to offer their own free agents more than any other team. Also teams are able to go over the cap but are required to pay a luxury tax. I'm not sure how the contracts of re-signed players are accounted for.

Yes they are, but Freddy stated it "costs a fraction of the cap." I don't think it does. It still costs the same number of cap $'s, both soft and hard.

Having a soft cap makes the practices almost apples and oranges. Contracts of re-signed players being able to go over the cap is based on their Bird rights, which you can only get by playing with the same team for 3 years.

The NFL would effectively be adding a soft cap if they instituted any practice like this.

Edited by FireChan

Then why even have a cap?