Obama's Post Presidency

/dev/null

U.S. "paid a price" for not enforcing then-President Obama's red line in Syria, former Secretary of State John Kerry says https://cbsn.ws/2NFwDkj 

While this is not breaking news to anyone, it is noteworthy that Kerry says he could not persuade Obama:

“I put several ideas on the table. The president was not persuaded by my argument. I believed that we had several options we could have done at very low risk to be able to make it clear to Assad that when we had a ceasefire and when he said he was going to live by it, he had to live by it. And I thought we should have done that,” Kerry said.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

While this is not breaking news to anyone, it is noteworthy that Kerry says he could not persuade Obama:

“I put several ideas on the table. The president was not persuaded by my argument. I believed that we had several options we could have done at very low risk to be able to make it clear to Assad that when we had a ceasefire and when he said he was going to live by it, he had to live by it. And I thought we should have done that,” Kerry said.

Given Kerry's record, I'm sure he both agreed and disagreed with Obama at some point.

• Haha (+1) 1

Self awareness level 0

Barack Obama said a lot of ridiculous stuff today. (see the Trump Foreign Policy thread).............This might be the most ridiculous:

“We don’t need a messiah,” Obama says

.Sure, Mr. “We Are The Ones We’ve Been Waiting For.” ....................Whatever you say, buddy.

obama-halo-2011.jpg?w=640

c70100732498e6c3f4b02f86e6f6ca0306f1a441

6 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Say what ya want about Obama, but the man can give a speech. He’s a modern day Cicero. 

:blink:   I'm with Trump - Obama's speechifying puts me to sleep. He doesn't even read his teleprompter as well as the people on the nightly news. 

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Say what ya want about Obama, but the man can give a speech. He’s a modern day Cicero. 

And this is part of the reason that his presidency was a failure.  The actions never caught up to the rhetoric.   The epitome of an empty suit.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

:blink:   I'm with Trump - Obama's speechifying puts me to sleep. He doesn't even read his teleprompter as well as the people on the nightly news. 

Listening to Trump talk is like watching a squirrel cross the road. You never know which way he’s going, and you won’t lose any sleep if he gets run over. 

9 minutes ago, GG said:

And this is part of the reason that his presidency was a failure.  The actions never caught up to the rhetoric.   The epitome of an empty suit.

His presidency will NOT be remembered as a failure. His administration undeniably pulled us out of the recession. In fact, I won’t argue it if you want to challenge me on it because I find any counter arguments to be ridiculous. Now, I’m not a fan of his foreign policy. I’m not a fan of his gayification of the military. Lots of things I don’t like about the man. But I believe history will remember Obama in a positive light. 

Edited by The_Dude
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Listening to Trump talk is like watching a squirrel cross the road. You never know which way he’s going, and you won’t lose any sleep if he gets run over. 

Trump generally speaks marketing. Small sound bites, repeated for maximum impression and impact. Used to drive me crazy (and I have worked with a ton of PR and marketers, and know what he is doing - and it still drove me nuts.) His speeches this year, however,  have gotten smoother. He does continue to repeat lines that get positive reactions (again, this is marketing 101), but the basic speech delivery when not to a rally is much smoother.

3 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

His presidency will NOT be remembered as a failure. His administration undeniably pulled us out of the recession. In fact, I won’t argue it if you want to challenge me on it because I find any counter arguments to be ridiculous. Now, I’m not a fan of his foreign policy. I’m not a fan of his gayification of the military. Lots of things I don’t like about the man. But I believe history will remember Obama in a positive light. 

The only reason his administration is painted in a favorable light is because there’s very little objectivity about his accomplishments.  Real history will not be kind once we’ve gone through a decade or so, and the varnish of his empty suit fades.

The two items that people point to as his great achievements are killing Bin Laden and getting the country out of a recession - both decisions that a 12-yr old would have approved.  Nobody with a proper understanding of economics has been able to explain Obama’s extraordinary policies that pulled the economy out of the recession. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Trump generally speaks marketing. Small sound bites, repeated for maximum impression and impact. Used to drive me crazy (and I have worked with a ton of PR and marketers, and know what he is doing - and it still drove me nuts.) His speeches this year, however,  have gotten smoother. He does continue to repeat lines that get positive reactions (again, this is marketing 101), but the basic speech delivery when not to a rally is much smoother.

Trump knows enough to know lie loud, lie big, lie often. Eventually the lie drowns out the truth. Trump is such an awful orator that foreigners who are fluent in English have a hard time understanding his meaning. He changes subject without segwaying into a new topic. 

However....given a speech prepared for him I have heard him walk away with a good speech every now and then. But he likes to free style most of them and it’s always an absurd mess. 

I like Trump’s policies better. But I’ve no respect for the man. I do respect Obama.